For those who go thru Vancouver end of July/begin of Aug

FabFam

A friend from Vancouver recommended the International fireworks competition which takes place in the English Bay. 4 dates-4 countries--Canada on July 22, S. Africa July 25, United Kingdom July 29, China Aug 1. Sounds like a lot of fun..I just wish our timing was better!

I had read about that a while back and totally forgotten - thanks for the reminder! We are doing a 7-nighter from Seward to Vancouver, disembarking on July 29th. We're staying around a few more nights, so I'll be sure to put that back on the list of things to do while there!

My cruise leaves on July 22nd from Vancouver. I wonder if you could still see it from the boat, or if we would be too far away by then. It is my birthday. Two years ago I was in Hawaii for a week, and on my birthday they had fireworks. I have no idea why, but it would be nice to see it again.

Here is link to the Festival of Light wesbsite. For those who may be wish to take it in the best vantage points to see the fireworks is English Bay and Kitsilano and both areas get closed to traffic in the afternoon of ... so you need to get there early to stake out your spot. There are a number of charter boats that will take you out to watch the fireworks and many include dinner, you can get some names by doing a Google search:

http://www.celebration-of-light.com/

Here is link to the Festival of Light wesbsite. For those who may be wish to take it in the best vantage points to see the fireworks is English Bay and Kitsilano and both areas get closed to traffic in the afternoon of ... so you need to get there early to stake out your spot. There are a number of charter boats that will take you out to watch the fireworks and many include dinner, you can get some names by doing a Google search:

http://www.celebration-of-light.com/

Thanks for the info, but a google search is not helping me..:( We'll be staying with friends and would love to take them on a dinner cruise on July 29 to watch the UK fireworks. Any recommendations you can give me would be so appreciated! :)

I did that fireworks thing once, and I can say one thing for sure: I sure envied those people who had a hotel up close to where you can view it. Take your standard post-July 4th fireworks show traffic jam and multiply it by 5. That's what it's like. There's hotels right there within walking distance.

My cruise leaves on July 22nd from Vancouver. I wonder if you could still see it from the boat, or if we would be too far away by then. It is my birthday. Two years ago I was in Hawaii for a week, and on my birthday they had fireworks. I have no idea why, but it would be nice to see it again.

The fireworks start at 10pm, would think your ship leaves in the afternoon :(

I did that fireworks thing once, and I can say one thing for sure: I sure envied those people who had a hotel up close to where you can view it. Take your standard post-July 4th fireworks show traffic jam and multiply it by 5. That's what it's like. There's hotels right there within walking distance.

It's probably more than 5 times.....the city estimates there are more than 1.3 million spectators :eek: over the 4 nights (Saturdays being the busiest).

Even if you're staying at downtown hotels, it's worth walking to English Bay. The best spot there is by the bathhouse where speakers are set up for the simulcast music (otherwise you'll need an FM radio).

Our ship docks on July 22nd in Vancouver, if I would've known I would have stayed one day longer, escpecially since July 23rd is my birthday, it would've been neet to just stay one more night. I would consider it still,but to change our US airways flight would cost us 150 each, that really irks me that they charge such a large change fee.:eek:

A friend from Vancouver recommended the International fireworks competition which takes place in the English Bay. 4 dates-4 countries--Canada on July 22, S. Africa July 25, United Kingdom July 29, China Aug 1. Sounds like a lot of fun..I just wish our timing was better!

I just wanted to thank you, the OP, for posting this. I've arranged a dinner cruise for hubby and I and our two Vancouver friends on July 29 (even rearranged plans because of it!). We sail on the 31st and it will be a great thank you to them for their hospitality beforehand. :cool:

I would not have know about it at all, had you not posted. You rock! :D

we were there last summer when it went on, so many crowds,...cabs stuck in traffic,etc etc people all over the streets everywhere, so if you really want to see them beter go way early find a nice place to see it from...the 22nd is my b day too and we leave Vancouver at 5 pm I think on Voldendam so prob wont see them, oh well...it was too crowded for us tho

I just go up to the roof top patio in my condo building and watch them there - no crowds etc to worry about .

Cheers

Dennis

Could you invite a 100 or so of your new best friends...oh and like a good host supply the wobbly pops.:D

Archived