What to do in Belize ??

PinkJellyFish06

My parents & I will be going on a cruise in just a few weeks & the stop that I have been most excited about is Belize. I just can't decide what to do. I reallllllly want to go snorkeling, becaues I have heard that it is some of the best. BUT I would love to go see ruins. Anybody have any ideas?

We will be in Belize for the 3rd time in Dec. I really love it there, will be even better if they ever get the dock built. The first time we did the ruins/river Wallace tour thru the ship, it was great. Last September we went tubing with a private company, it was fun but not what I expected, although the tour guides were great. This time we are doing a trip to an Island, snorkling and on the way back hoping to see manatees with a private tour company. There are so many choices in Belize, will be glad to do the beach ting this time.

My parents & I will be going on a cruise in just a few weeks & the stop that I have been most excited about is Belize. I just can't decide what to do. I reallllllly want to go snorkeling, becaues I have heard that it is some of the best. BUT I would love to go see ruins. Anybody have any ideas?

We went cavetubing on our first visit. It is absolutely a Must Do. This is one of the few places where you can do this.

The snorkeling is good , but you must take a boat trip out to the reef. We booked Bannister Island with the snorkel combined at the tenderdock. It made for a pretty good day.

There are some good ruins tours available thru Carnival or online. If you are still undecided you can book at the tenderdock.

If you like ruins, I highly recommend taking a tour to Lamanai. It is an all-day excursion.

It involves a bus ride to the New River, then a boat ride down the New River (which involves some animal spottings usually - we saw a baby crocodile, various birds).

Then you arrive at Lamanai. There is a small museum and very extensive and interesting ruins. There is also a resident troop of Howler monkeys - which you will at least hear if you don't see. We saw a bunch of them.

I have also done a snorkeling excursion and was a little disappointed. It was OK but the water was very rough the day we went and that made it a little difficult.

I would also recommend the Lamanai ruins. We were there this past April and had a wonderful time. You HAVE to climb the high temple. At first, you are thinking no way. But the view from the top is well worth the trip. And this is from someone that is not so thrilled about heights. A couple people in our group didn't go to the top, and on the boat ride back they were saying how they wished they would have. Take pictures of your climb, and enjoy showing friends back home what you did.:)

A few family member decided to do the zip lining instead. They said it was a great time, and their only regret was not adding the optional cave tubing with it. We all gathered that evening at dinner to compare pictures and notes. You can't go wrong with either one. Have a great time no matter which you choose.

Thank you so much for all your advice.

As much as I don't want to miss the snorkeling, I think we are leaning towards a tour through Carnival that involves going down the Belize River to see wildlife & going to the Altun Ha ruins.

THANKS AGAIN : )

Archived