Has anyone stayed in Civitavecchia before their cruise?

CeeJay11

We are doing a cruise on the Legend from Civitavecchia (the Rome cruiseport) on Oct. 31st and are wondering if anyone has stayed in that town the night before the cruise, rather than in Rome, and could recommend a hotel there?? We drove through Civitavecchia before embarking on the Legend a couple of years ago and noticed some hotels there, and we would love a recommendation.

CeeJay

I am staying in Rome for several days prior to sailing, so cannot advise. But I want to say how nice it will be to sail with you and Wally again. Are you staying on for the Crossing?

My wife and I have stayed in Civitavecchia on two different occasions before joining cruise ships.

The first time was the San Giogio, which is on the main promenade street, the room was very nice and overlooked the sea. With this property you are very close to the town and the restaurants. Also it is a very short walk (around 100metres) to the entrance of the port where you can catch the shuttle bus to your ship.

The second time, we stayed at the Bramante. This hotel is a fair way out of town and situated in the middle of a housing estate with very little to do and only a couple of restaurants close by. The rooms were very small. They did supply a free shuttle directly to the ship.

Out of the two, we would definitely stay at the San Giorgio if we were to stay again, although it was a fair bit more money.

While we were at the Bramante we did walk to the Sunbay. This looked good with all the rooms overlooking the sea and two decent outside pools. However, similar comments apply here as to the situation and you really would be forced to eat at the hotel.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Smoothcruiser for your comments - I saw reviews of both Bramante and Sun Bay and they looked pretty good so I was confused - and so perhaps we will try the San Giogio - I guess we can't really go wrong at any of them. We really just need a decent place to sleep as we will be very jet-lagged after a long flight and as long as its easy enough to get to the ship the next day, then that's all that matters to us. Our travel agent recommends the Sun Bay but it does appear to be far from everything and it would be nice to be able to walk around a little bit after we get there. Thanks again for the info.

CeeJay

I am staying in Rome for several days prior to sailing, so cannot advise. But I want to say how nice it will be to sail with you and Wally again. Are you staying on for the Crossing?

Hi Jane

Yes we are staying on for the crossing and really looking forward to this double cruise - it will be good to see you again. :)

CeeJay (Carol)

My wife and I stayed at the San Giorgio this past November prior to a cruise on the Regent Voyager. The hotel is located right in the heart of the city which is nicer than I thought it would be. The rooms are quiet comfortable. Some of the rooms are 2 level with the bedroom area above the bath and sitting area.

The hotel restaurant is great. We even found some of the ships officers having dinner there prior to the cruise.

The hotel will even arrange (for a fee) for you to be picked up at the airport and transferred to the hotel, and on cruise day be brought directly to the ship.

This is not the cheapest option, but it certainly was the best.

We just stayed at the Hotel Traiano. 105 Euros/night including breakfast and free shuttle directly to the ship. The hotel was nice but not anything real special altho they did upgrade us to a suite (as they did others staying that night) Room was very quiet and is highly recommended on TripAdvisor. They recommended a very nice and reasonably priced Italian restaurant a short walk away

Hi Carol,

It will be good to see you again!! We are on from Rome and doing the crossing too. We have previously stayed at the Traiano but would not stay there again, it was a mistake in our view! This time we have chosen to stay at the Hilton Rome Airport hotel ( we do not arrive until late), we have had good a good review of this hotel from a close friend, we have then booked a car to take us to directly to the ship the next day. We plan on getting up late, having breakfast, checking out and then off to the ship all relaxed!! Theory looks good!! See you on board!!!

kathryn

Hi Carol,

It will be good to see you again!! We are on from Rome and doing the crossing too. We have previously stayed at the Traiano but would not stay there again, it was a mistake in our view! This time we have chosen to stay at the Hilton Rome Airport hotel ( we do not arrive until late), we have had good a good review of this hotel from a close friend, we have then booked a car to take us to directly to the ship the next day. We plan on getting up late, having breakfast, checking out and then off to the ship all relaxed!! Theory looks good!! See you on board!!!

kathryn

Hi Kathryn

So nice to hear from you and to know you will be on this double cruise. What you are doing sounds great and if we were getting in late we would definitely stay at the Hilton as you are doing but I think we will try one of the hotels near the port since our plane lands in Rome at 11:00 a.m. We will look forward to seeing you on the Legend - and we are so happy that Captain G-A is going to be there for the final east-west crossing of the Legend.

Carol

Thank you San Jose King and Smoothcruiser for your recommendation of the San Giorgio - this sounds really good so I think we will try it. We tried Romecabs the last time we went to Rome and may call them again to take us to the hotel from the airport, unless someone has a better suggestion. Or perhaps the best solution is to use the hotel's transfer from the airport if it was good ??

Have booked the San Giorgio for August 22 (Azamara, Black Sea). Booked Romeincabs 130 Euro. The hotel was 150 (two people).

Booked on Dec. 5 Asia sailing on the Pride. Has anyone hired a guide and traveled to Hanoi the day you dock and return the next day? We dock at 6:00pm. Thought to be picked up, stay at Metropole, be up early next morning to tour and return to ship (leave at 7 pm). Feasible. Any suggestions for tour companies/guide. Thanks, Barb

Archived