Bermuda Tour & Best Lunch in Hamilton?

DH and I are cruising the Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda on 6/21. I am working on planning things to do while in Bermuda.

For one of the days, we decided to book one tour thru NCL, the "Scenic West End & South Shore Highlights" tour. The tour will end in Hamilton around 1 pm. Any tips on where to get lunch in Hamilton, and what is a MUST see in Hamilton while we are there? Has anyone here ever taken this tour before?

PS. I already posed this on the Bermuda board but it seems to be a less popular board so I was re-posting here to hopefully get more responses!

We usually do excursions on our own so we haven't done the tour. But, from what I've heard the Swizzle Inn is the way to go. Once you're in Hamilton, take the #10 bus toward St. George's and there is a stop right in front of the Swizzle Inn. Then, you can catch that same bus and continue on to St. George's. Great history there. Then, you can catch the ferry back to the Dockyard.

Make sure you join your roll call, too (if you haven't already).

For one of the days, we decided to book one tour thru NCL, the "Scenic West End & South Shore Highlights" tour. The tour will end in Hamilton around 1 pm. Any tips on where to get lunch in Hamilton, and what is a MUST see in Hamilton while we are there?

If you want to eat lunch in Hamilton there are many choices. We had a great lunch at the Hog Penny Inn. Really old and quaint, great spot.

Be sure to walk and shop along Front Street too. And check out Gosling's for some rum.

If you want to eat lunch in Hamilton there are many choices. We had a great lunch at the Hog Penny Inn. Really old and quaint, great spot.

Be sure to walk and shop along Front Street too. And check out Gosling's for some rum.

The Hog & Penny is indeed a great spot, consider buying one of their T-shirts, the design is really funny.

FYI, most if not all of the restaurants in the Hamilton area are not cheap by any means ... the quality of the food by reputation is great, but definately not cheap.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Michael

PS We were on the Dawn's 5/3 sailing to Bermuda, and had a blast. Hamilton is a beautiful little city, and Bermuda itself is a gorgeous island. WE can't wait to go back.

The Hog & Penny is indeed a great spot, consider buying one of their T-shirts, the design is really funny.

FYI, most if not all of the restaurants in the Hamilton area are not cheap by any means ... the quality of the food by reputation is great, but definately not cheap.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Michael

PS We were on the Dawn's 5/3 sailing to Bermuda, and had a blast. Hamilton is a beautiful little city, and Bermuda itself is a gorgeous island. WE can't wait to go back.

Okay.......you mentioned that the restaurants are on the expensive side in Hamilton......are there areas that are more reasonable? Just curious as we may be sailing in September. Thanks

Well a cheaper option in Hamilton is to stop in the Lemon Tree on the edge of Par-la-Ville Park, right by the old Post Office, just up from the ferry terminal. In general it is to-go, but they have a nice section of outdoor seating adjacent to the park. The food is mostly sandwiches and salads, and is very popular with the local business people.

http://www.lemontreecafes.com/

Bermuda is SO easy to get around, the buses and ferries are easy. In Hamilton by the Perot post office is a rest. call SPOT, it was very cheap, lots of locals. Big portions.

mew1

Thanks.....I knew that Bermuda in general is on the expensive side...but didnt know if any CC'rs had some insight as to places that were on the more reasonable side. I am a vegetarian and usually opt for salad, pizza, or nachos when out. Time will tell......we can always eat on the ship. It is just nice to know the options when you are on the islands. The Swizzle Inn that I have read about on other threads....sounds like a place to go to.....to quench the thirst. :D

Got this restaurant suggestion from a local on the Bermuda boards--and the descriptin from Frommers--

Freeport Seafood Restaurant at the Dockyard: local favorite http://freeportseafood.com/

Come here for fresh and completely unpretentious locally caught seafood. Somehow this old favorite manages to turn up a fresher catch than its Somerset competitors, and broils it to perfection, a welcome change from the greasy fish-and-chips grub served at some other dockyard spots. The taste is often delectable, especially the fish platter or one of the broiled Bermuda rockfish dishes, our particular favorite. At least some of the seasonings derive from Sr. Ausenda's herb garden, which thrives within an assortment of battered plastic containers in back. The menu is less formal -- and somewhat less expensive -- at lunch than at dinner. During the day, you get the regular chow you'd find almost anywhere, including burgers, salads, pizzas, and steak on the grill. The tasty fish sandwich is usually the star of the lunch menu. In the evening, the fish selection might feature tuna or wahoo. For those who want a good old T-bone, those are on the menu, too. We found the lobster overpriced and overcooked. Within a cluttered and somewhat disorganized back room, this restaurant has a pair of Internet stations for the use of its patrons.

Even though the ship is right there, I think I may drag my DD here--this way I can try a recommended Bermuda restaurant, and she can get her sushi--since we would have to pay for it on the ship anyway!!!!

If you are in a mood for an excellent pizza go to La Trattoria on Washington Mall Lane. The restaurant also offers lunchtime favourites at reasonable prices.

Thanks for the heads up on the pizza!

If you are in a mood for an excellent pizza go to La Trattoria on Washington Mall Lane. The restaurant also offers lunchtime favourites at reasonable prices.

Thanks....though wow. I just googled them and looked at the menu. The pizzas cost more than the main dishes there. A 10" cheese pizza is $15.50. Oh well.....thanks anyways. Mediocre cruise ship pizza here I come. Well....thats if we actually sail there. :)

Right on Front Street in Hamilton is The Pickled Onion - it's upstairs and you can sit out on the balcony overlooking Front Street & the harbour - food is GREAT - and the atmosphere is a lot of fun - here's their website - also has menu & pricing.

http://www.thepickledonion.com/index2.html

Hmmmm.....I clicked on the link...but only got a title page. Is there a secret way into the website? LOL

*LOL* No secret code :-) You should see a martini glass with 4 types of martinis below the glass - click on the color block next to the name of the martini - the martini glass fills up (page loading) & takes you to the restaurant website :-) Let me know if this works! I think you'll enjoy it - and you can't beat the view from an outside balcony table !!!

I KNOW - Thirsty too!!! :-) We're sailing on the Spirit to Bermuda on September 4th - and after looking over the menu again, it can't come too soon! :-)

B4AndAft - I saw on Radio's Live from the Spirit posts (isn't that GREAT !!!) that you're cruising in September to Bermuda? Any chance on 09/04 ??

Thanks....though wow. I just googled them and looked at the menu. The pizzas cost more than the main dishes there. A 10" cheese pizza is $15.50. Oh well.....thanks anyways. Mediocre cruise ship pizza here I come. Well....thats if we actually sail there. :)

Doesn't matter, but the pizzas at La Trattoria are out of the world. We cannot compare them with any anywhere else except Sorrento, Italy (which are close second!).

Please try them - you'll be glad you did. The Calamari Fritti are great too.

Archived