immunizations for panama cannal cruise

thrusday

would like to find out if we have to have certian immunizations for doing panama cannal cruise with princess on decemeber 7th 2009 . the responds we got from princess was vague not very good answer , and i would like to get what we need for this trip done now while i have a chance also because my husband has heart problems so there might be some he can not have . thanks in advance for the information ,happy cruising to all

We were on the Star when it trasitioned last Mar. and visited Panama and took the aerial tram tour. Before the journey we consulted the travel nurse at Kaiser Permanente where we have our insurance (do this every time) She considers our health status as well as where we're going and what we do along the way. No shots required in our case. But!!! mosquitos thought I was the best snack ever. DONT forget repellent if you go out in the countryside anywhere, especially in the tropics!

Immunizations/vaccinations aren't required as you're really not going into the jungle or spending any time there so don't worry about them. As has been said, bring very good insect repellant and super lightweight clothing; it's incredibly humid and whether you're used to it or not, you'll feel the heat.

This all depends on your health. Check with your doctor. Ours recommended we get caught up on all the shots we should have been getting all along. We were vacinated for Hepatitis A & B, influenza, pneumonia, polio, tetnus, diptheria, whooping cough and typhoid.

I use a product called Deet Free Bull Frog Mosquito Coast to keep mosquitoes away. It has SPF 30 and lasts 8 hours. It works like a charm.

We were on the Star when it trasitioned last Mar. and visited Panama and took the aerial tram tour. Before the journey we consulted the travel nurse at Kaiser Permanente where we have our insurance (do this every time) She considers our health status as well as where we're going and what we do along the way. No shots required in our case. But!!! mosquitos thought I was the best snack ever. DONT forget repellent if you go out in the countryside anywhere, especially in the tropics!

The last time I looked,the Star was a bit wide to transit the canal.

ROFL! Yup. It's waaayyyy too wide to go through the Panama Canal. If it had tried, it would probably still be there, stuck like a cork. That's why the Coral/Island are "Panamax" ships, i.e., they are designed to go through the Panama Canal.

would like to find out if we have to have certian immunizations for doing panama cannal cruise with princess on decemeber 7th 2009 . the responds we got from princess was vague not very good answer , and i would like to get what we need for this trip done now while i have a chance also because my husband has heart problems so there might be some he can not have . thanks in advance for the information ,happy cruising to all

I've never had to have immunizations for the Panama Canal transit, only for our trip down to Devil's Island.

By the way, we have a roll call setup for this cruise if you'd like join us...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=857474

Happy cruising,

VB1

Apparently Yellow Fever shots are not compulsory but the disease is widespread. Only takes one mosquito out on deck! We have had all the recommended vaccinations (including Yellow Fever) for our upcoming Dawn Princess World Cruise.

No traveler immunizations are required for US citizens to Central America. My advice is to be up to date on your immunizations. Mine were not and I could not get in to my the doc before going to get my immunizations updated. Yellow Fever immunizations are very hard to obtain. I tried when I lived in San Jose CA, and learned none of the local doctors could get the serum. Check the CDC website and it will outline what immunizations you might need as determined by your destinations.

We went mountain biking and had an accident. Since I took the ship offered shore excursion (which is RARELY do-$$$&don't like follow the leader) the debris-ing and tetnaus shot were covered along with the (oh so cute doc) office appointment on board.

The Poster said Panama not Panama canal,:eek:

Archived