skipping formal nights

rmmm

Personally, I could and have done the entire cruise without setting foot in the dining room. I've only ever done formal night a few times and that was only because the people I was cruising with wanted to do it.

Why should anyone feel bad because they aren't interested and don't want to dress up and eat in the dining room? There are plenty of places on the ships to eat. No problem. I don't feel as if I miss anything by not eating in there.

Now that we having been taking cruises that don't have formal nights, I take just as many clothes as I did previously. All the women change for dinner regardless. No one brings gowns, but then most women didn't bring gowns anyway. The only ones who do not pack as much are the men because they no longer need to take a tuxedo.

Now that we having been taking cruises that don't have formal nights, I take just as many clothes as I did previously. All the women change for dinner regardless. No one brings gowns, but then most women didn't bring gowns anyway. The only ones who do not pack as much are the men because they no longer need to take a tuxedo.

Hi:), you must be sailing on Oceania or one of the lines that

does not have formal nights because to say most women

don't bring gowns is sort of a broad generalization.

Every cruise I have been on there have been gowns, long dresses,

long skirts, etc.;)

I pack the same too, including formal clothing and only bring

one checked bag and one carry on.

Yes, as a Gold flyer, they stick to traditional notion that people that fly have bags and it should be included in the price of a ticket.

However, are you *sure* that flying on FF miles assures no extra charges for luggage???

In Biz or First, there's never a fee for luggage, no matter how the tkt was paid for - cash or FF miles.

Well, we usually do fly business class, which you are right, never requires a fee for luggage, but we returned from a TA in late April, from London, and, using FF miles, had to settle for coach as we just didn't want to spend the miles necessary for business class for what was essentially a one-way from London. (We did fly from Omaha to Miami using the miles pre-cruise also). We were not charged any fees and checked three bags for the two of us. I don't think any of them were overweight. (This is American Airlines; I don't know anything about other FF programs.)

On the AA site it does state, somewhere, according to my reading, that fees are not charged when using miles. I'm horribly afraid this is some kind of oversight and they will 'catch' it and start charging for bags if you're flying coach! Anything to make a few extra bucks.

Flying coach on a long haul after being used to business class is another story--especially all the problems this flight had, starting with an emergency evac before we even left Heathrow to thunderstorms in Dallas, making a nine hour flight into a 13 hour flight--or more. By the time we got home at 4 AM I had lost all sense of time. Aack!

To Skywench, I don't think anyone needs to feel bad, or intends to make anyone else feel bad, if they prefer not to eat in the MD. To each their own; if you prefer the buffet or alternative restaurant, great, if you like the MD, great, if you like a combination--it's totally fine.

I do appreciate it when people who want to eat in the MD yet hate 'dressing up', at least make some kind of effort to blend in. It doesn't take much; slacks instead of jeans, etc.

I also agree with Lois that many women wear gowns of some kind; even on our recent NCL cruise, which had 'dress up or not' night, most people made some attempt to dress up that night, including full on formal gowns and tuxes.

I've never skipped a formal night, probably bc of a combo of reasons: my parents never skipped one, I love getting dressed up, I love an excuse to do my hair/makeup, formal pics, I haven't been on THAT many cruises yet to get tired of them, even though I could sit by the dining room and watch people I like to be in the dining room and look @ everyone in their beautiful attire.

I completely understand why you wouldn't want to go to formal night. I'm sure after a certain number of cruises the novelty will wear off and I'll be able to save rm in my suitcase!

Well, we usually do fly business class, which you are right, never requires a fee for luggage, but we returned from a TA in late April, from London, and, using FF miles, had to settle for coach as we just didn't want to spend the miles necessary for business class for what was essentially a one-way from London. (We did fly from Omaha to Miami using the miles pre-cruise also). We were not charged any fees and checked three bags for the two of us. I don't think any of them were overweight. (This is American Airlines; I don't know anything about other FF programs.)

There's no charge for luggage in coach class for an international flight even if the passenger is not an elite flyer on AA. (and other airlines as well, I believe) Travelers are allowed two bags with the price of the ticket. There's a charge if there's 3 or more.

You weren't charged a baggage for your coach class ticket from Omaha to Miami because you're Gold on AA. Also, anyone paying full price for a coach tickets (as many last minute travelers must do) also don't have to pay extra for baggage.

On the AA site it does state, somewhere, according to my reading, that fees are not charged when using miles. I'm horribly afraid this is some kind of oversight and they will 'catch' it and start charging for bags if you're flying coach! Anything to make a few extra bucks.

No, not an oversight. What the policy says is that you use FF awards for a domestic flight (& you're not elite status) you must pay an extra fee for baggage. This is for the regular mileage awards. (where a domestic tkt is 25,000 miles).

However, if you're willing you pay AA double the mileage for an "Anytime" FF tkt which means you can get a seat as long as there's an empty one on the plane, (and you don't have to see if there is a frequent flyer seat allotment) then they will not charge you extra for your bags, because you've already paid double for your seat.

So, it's not something they've overlooked. It's saying if you're willing to pay extortion fee's for your seat, they'll let the bags travel without additional extortion fees.

Flying coach on a long haul after being used to business class is another story--

Agree. I avoid it at all costs. And the new planes on order will all have 31" pitch, one inch less that the current 32" pitch. Additionally, where the kitchens used to be, will also be more seats, so planes will be more cramped. Oh and there will be one less lav for more people.

especially all the problems this flight had, starting with an emergency evac before we even left Heathrow to thunderstorms in Dallas, making a nine hour flight into a 13 hour flight--or more. By the time we got home at 4 AM I had lost all sense of time. Aack!

That's not the airlines fault; and with all that going on, I'm surprised it only added 4 hours to your flight.

I agree. Even when we've cruised on Oceania, I took the same amount of clothes because I still showered and put on fresh clothes every evening, even though none were formal. So whether I wear a gown or a pretty silk pant outfit, it's still the same amount of clothes in the suitcase, and my high heeled shoes are light and don't take up much room.

And yes, you're right, the only bulk/weight saved was on my husband's packing because he didn't have to bring a tux/formal suit and a blazer, and it allowed him to pack one less pair of shoes.....and men's shoes are heavy and take up a lot of room.

When I said that most women didn't bring gowns, I didn't mean long dresses or long skirts. I meant "Gowns" with a capital G. On our last two cruises which had formal nights ( on HAL), I only saw three women who wore anything that I would classify as a gown.

Archived