What is the Boarding Pass?

swdke

It's been about 4 years since my last Princess cruise. I see on my cruise personalizer someting about being able to print a boarding pass 75 days prior to my cruise. Do you simply go right on the ship with this "boarding pass?" Don't I still need to "check-in and get my room key?" What does printing off a boarding pass enable you to do? Thanks!

You will still need to checkin. Among other things they will need to check your ID to be sure everything is in order. In addtition, they will take an imprint of your credit card or collect your deposit if you are paying your onboard account with cash.

You will still need to checkin. Among other things they will need to check your ID to be sure everything is in order. In addtition, they will take an imprint of your credit card or collect your deposit if you are paying your onboard account with cash.

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe we'd still have to do the check-in procedures. So, what is the "boarding pass" for?

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe we'd still have to do the check-in procedures. So, what is the "boarding pass" for?
If you print out the boarding pass and sign it, it expedites your check-in. Kind of like showing your airline booking when you check in for a flight. It's not absolutely necessary to have the boarding pass but if you don't, then it takes longer for each person who hasn't to check in, making the lines and wait to check in longer.

On some cruises, I've been able to show my boarding pass, which has "Priority" on it, at the entrance to the terminal and I'm directed to a much shorter line. Once (in Buenos Aires), it saved me about two hours of standing in line.

It is not a required document, just shows you have pre-registered with your immigration information and onboard account. Most of the cruise lines have gone with e-Docs, no more paper tickets needed. Just pre-register online and show up with your ID and credit card.

If you print out the boarding pass and sign it, it expedites your check-in. Kind of like showing your airline booking when you check in for a flight. It's not absolutely necessary to have the boarding pass but if you don't, then it takes longer for each person who hasn't to check in, making the lines and wait to check in longer.

On some cruises, I've been able to show my boarding pass, which has "Priority" on it, at the entrance to the terminal and I'm directed to a much shorter line. Once (in Buenos Aires), it saved me about two hours of standing in line.

The biggest advantage comes when one has that Priority marking on it from being either Platinum Captain's Circle or above or having booked a suite. Princess reps are trained to look for the Priority and will direct those having it to a much much shorter line for check-in. That always saves time.

The second advantage is there is a section where one can sign authorizing your onboard account. This saves having to sign new documents at check in.

With the completed boarding pass, it is but a few seconds at the check-in counter to show boarding pass, passport, and credit card, with no other documentation or signatures needed. It makes things quick so I would recommend you taking the time to print the boarding pass before leaving home and bringing it with you.

A Pre-Done Boarding Pass is really a Mutual Benefit.

It makes the costs go way down for the Cruise line(s) as they do not to hire Gate Agents for filling out AS MUCH DATA... ETC..etc..

That saves you time too while ( whilst) in line (que) too.

Having your Government required ID is a must and given.

Time spent waiting is lessened a lot this way. So costs go down for the Cruise line and you.

Credit Cards can and usually are Pre-Approved. You may at the Gate give another if you want too.

Cabin Cards are given once your Graphic Image is taken by the USB Attached CAM... Smile your on Cruise Card CAM :-))):cool:

It's been about 4 years since my last Princess cruise. I see on my cruise personalizer someting about being able to print a boarding pass 75 days prior to my cruise. Do you simply go right on the ship with this "boarding pass?" Don't I still need to "check-in and get my room key?" What does printing off a boarding pass enable you to do? Thanks!

A couple of corrections here.

1. If you are paying your bill with cash, you do not pay at check-in, you need to go to the Pursers desk once you board.

2. After checking in, you will be given your cruise card and directed to either the gangway to board or to a lounge to wait for boarding. Your picture will be taken as you board the ship. This is for Princess as other lines have different procedures.

3. If you do not bring a preprinted boarding pass, the agent must fill out another one for you, and this DOES take time.

Another hint....

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT ask the check-in agent for an upgrade (it just ain't gonna happen) regardless of what your travel agent told you. If you are due an upgrade, it will be reflected on your cruise card with a new cabin assignment. (yes, your luggage will make it to your new room, as it is checked against a manifest during scanning)

If you wish to purchase an upgrade, you need to go to the pursers desk onboard and take care of it there. Chances are there will NOT be any upgrades or cabins available, but that's the only way it is going to happen.

Hi Folks,

If boarding passes are such a good idea, why does Princess not let us in the UK use them, we fill our credit card details out on line, we arrive at check in, they swip our credit card, they swip our pass port we sign one bit of paper and we are off, can they realy make it any simplier, or quicker, I think not.

yours Shogun

We are cruising in 22 days but haven't got any links for boarding pass on cruise personlizer - even the billing information that was previously there has gone; glitch with the site or is this to be expected at this stage?

We are cruising in 22 days but haven't got any links for boarding pass on cruise personlizer - even the billing information that was previously there has gone; glitch with the site or is this to be expected at this stage?

It should be on the right hand side of the Cruise Personalizer page - "Print Boarding Pass". If not, give Princess or your TA a ring.

If boarding passes are such a good idea, why does Princess not let us in the UK use them, we fill our credit card details out on line, we arrive at check in, they swip our credit card, they swip our pass port we sign one bit of paper and we are off, can they realy make it any simplier, or quicker, I think not.
Because you're aliens? :) Who knows? It doesn't make sense to me that those from the UK wouldn't be able to print out their boarding pass.

Archived