Taxi tours from Naples port

Has anyone waited until the port to hire a taxi for the day to go to

Pompey, with either Sorrento or Positano? All the tour companies mentioned here cost 500 Euros for 2, i don't want to spend that much. Thank you.

There are lots of taxis waiting in Naples to take you to Pompeii. It was 90 Euros (May 2009) for three of us to travel by taxi to Pompeii and back and the driver waited two hours for us. This was plenty of time to visit Pompeii. No payment was necessary until we arrived back at the port. Be sure to purchase a guidebook before entering Pompeii. Ours cost 8 Euros. We then had the afternoon to wander around Naples.

Pompey, with either Sorrento or Positano? All the tour companies mentioned here cost 500 Euros for 2, i don't want to spend that much. Thank you.

I would concentrate on one option.

1. Take the local train to Pompei, or

2. Take the boat to Sorrento, eventually from there to Positano by bus.

Train and boat are on walking distance from your ship and much cheaper. Check the prices on one of the other boards.

Screwcork

You might try your ships roll call to see if there are others willing to share a private tour with you or have openings on their tour. A private vehicle can hold 4 if car or 6-7 if minivan. That ends up to be about 100 euros or less for private tour.

Good luck in your planning

Question for Primus:

We have been researching a private tour from Naples port to Pompeii and possibly Herculaneum. Private car guide for the 2 of us to get to these two sites is 460 Euros...this seems a little high since they will only be driving you to Pompeii and Herculaneum and only waiting while you tour Pompeii either on your own or hire a guide. We would prefer to do as you did and just hire a taxi to take us to Pompeii from the port of Naples. 90 Euros sounds much better than 460. This was just a taxi and not a tour guide and not prearranged before your cruise? These taxis wait outside the Naples port near the ships? Thanks for your info

Go to the Roll Call area on Cruise Critic site for your cruise line, ship, sailing date and post for a tour/taxi share.

We used Sorrento Silver Star last Sept. Three other couples responded to my post on "Roll Call" and we shared the price.

Sorrento Silver Star was fantastic and the most reasonably priced. You can contact them for a quote: info@sorrentosilverstar.com Luisa is wonderful and will provide excellent and personal service.

They'll give you a price based on the number of people in your group. I would use them for any tour in the Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi area.

We just got back from a tour of the Amalfi Coast with Sorrento Silverstar. It cost 400 Euro and the van fits 8. They have a very good reputation from trip advisor. We went to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Go on the roll call board and try to get others to join you.

We had planned to take the train but one of our group of 4 started talking to one of the many taxi drivers. We ended up going with him and did do more than we could have by taking the train. He took us to Pompeii, stopping along the way for some scenic photos. After Pompeii, he took us into Sorrento and we had lunch at a restaurant on a beach in a little cove. (no tour busses here) The food was excellent and reasonable. He then brought us back to Naples and did a short driving tour around the city. It was $250 euros for the 4 of us but I think that included the tip we gave him.. It would have been cheaper by train, but we did see more and had a wonderful lunch at an out of the way restaurant on a scenic cove

We just got back (we were in Naples on June 2nd I think) and we took the train to Pompeii and then on to Sorento. When you walk directly out of the port area and cross the street there is a small new stand looking thing right across the street and we bought a ticket there for the bus to the train station and it included the train to Pompeii. About 2.50 euros each. You go stand in the median in the middle of the street, catch the Number 1 Bus (which is clearly marked) and that takes you directly to the train station. We asked there and they pointed us to the right boarding platform for the train to Pompeii and it was really easy. We then caught the train from Pompeii onto Sorento and then walked down to the water in Sorento and caught the ferry back from Sorento to the Port and it landed right next to our ship (NCL Gem). I had been kind of concerned about how hard it would be and it was really easy and fun.

When we first got off the ship in Naples we were accosted by lots of taxi drivers wanting to give us day tours and we were glad we ened up doing it the way we did.

we have been three times and a driver at the pier is the only way we have ever done it. just returned two weeks ago and had a hilarious driver who spoke english quite well. 210 euros for five of us.

Archived