Golfing Options

MERLOTCHAMPAGNE

We will be in Bermuda for 1 1/2 days in August off the EOS and my DH & DS would like to play at least one round while there. EOS doesn't offer any golfing excursions. Does anyone have recommendations? They are looking to play an 18 hole course. It looks Port Royal has reopened but their fees are pretty steep. Also we'll be docked at KW? I'm assuming a taxi is the option to the course... how long a ride should they plan for and how much? They plan to bring their clubs/shoes and especially golf balls.

Thanks

From Kings Wharf, the 3 closest golf courses are Port Royal, Riddell's Bay and Belmont Hills.

I played Belmont Hills last week, green and cart fees $140. It's a nice course and challenging but I was somewhat disappointed that the fairways weren't in good shape in terms of the grass having grown in well yet. They had also just aerated the greens. Perhaps all of that will be in good shape by the time you arrive. They've had a drought in Bermuda this year so that may be one of the problems.

Riddell's Bay is also very nice. I've played there twice in the past. Didn't see the course last week so not sure what shape it's in. However, the views from some of the holes are breathtaking.

Port Royal just reopened last week. We drove by there and it looked great because they're priming it for the PGA tournament this fall.

All of the greens gees are about the same as Belmont and taxi is the best way to get to any of them. Riddell's Bay and Port Royal are closest to the ship.

There is a nice excutive course (par 54 - 18 holes) @ the Fairmont Southhampton Golf Club that we played a couple years ago. Beautiful views - cost is around $85.00

KWIN - Thanks for the suggestion. DH has played at Southhamption but DS wants to play a regulation course.... you know those boys who like rip it as far as they can.....

bad guy - I checked the Riddell website but it seems they are only a private club... any insight on that?

Unless they've changed their policy, they will allow non members to play. 3 of us played there last year.

Just email them and see what they say. They have been very accomodating in the past.

I think you'll find that most, if not all, of the private courses in Bermuda will allow non members to play. Some of the web sites say the hotel or cruise ship has to make the arrangements, but that hasn't been the case for me in the past.

Played Riddell's Bay last Monday. It's a fun course, not long but plenty challenging and quite beautiful. The drought has taken its toll and the fairways and greens are a little spotty. I e-mailed the course and got a tee time with no trouble. I ended playing with another couple I met on the ship, which made it a lot more fun. We shared a taxi ($35 for all 3) both ways. It took about 25 minutes to get there. The greens fees were $155, which is about average for the island.

DaveinCT - thanks for the current info. Do you have the email for them. When I looked at their website, I only find an email for Dir of Golf Operations.

I'm post on our roll call to see if there are any golfers who might like to share a cab over to Riddell. Hopefully they get some water on those greens by August.

Did you make arrangements with the taxi for a r/t fare when he picked you up at the dock? Did you just take a cab waiting off the dock that morning or did you call to prearrange transportation?

btw, where in CT are you?

Pam

DaveinCT - thanks for the current info. Do you have the email for them. When I looked at their website, I only find an email for Dir of Golf Operations.

I'm post on our roll call to see if there are any golfers who might like to share a cab over to Riddell. Hopefully they get some water on those greens by August.

Did you make arrangements with the taxi for a r/t fare when he picked you up at the dock? Did you just take a cab waiting off the dock that morning or did you call to prearrange transportation?

btw, where in CT are you?

Pam

I just used the Director of Operations e-mail address when I made my reservation. He forwarded my request on to the appropriate person. We just picked up a cab at the pier on the way out. We gave him a pretty good tip ($10) when we got there and he was so pleased he arranged to meet us when we were done for the ride back. We guessed on the time and were pretty close. The other couple was playing again the next day, so they made arrangements to meet him the next morning. BTW the fares are all metered, but the $28 I saw listed on the web site was right on.

I'm in Derby, CT

Dave

We're from Avon! Thanks for info - I've emailed the DOO - hopefully we'll get a response. I've also post on our roll call to see if we have any other golfing interest on our cruise as well. Was the $28 r/t or o/w for the cab? The $10 tip seemed very reasonable if the driver was willing to come back at a certain hour to pick you up. Of course you were a guaranteed fare!

Pam

Just FYI, here's a map showing the location of all the golf courses in Bermuda:

Golf Courses in Bermuda

I put that together a few months ago, if there are any updates, let me know, I'd like to keep it up to date!

Theron

Thank you all for the info! I haven't heard back but maybe we're too early... I'll wait until 7 days prior and try again... although when we were in Antigua, we booked 30 days out. But every club is different so I'll tell the boys to be patient:eek:

Thanks again...

Pam

Archived