CORKAGE FEE, cabin twist

SunDapple

This afternoon my Darling Hubby and I were discussing with anticipation our upcoming cruise on Insignia, when he asked,"If we dine in cabin (PH), after a long day in port, and bring our own wine purchased ashore, will we be charged a corkage fee?" Well, will we? My guess is "no". Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks.

I am guessing NO

If you are drinking it your cabin even though you are having dinner I would think there is no corkage fee.

Hopefully someone in the know will verify that

Lyn

No corkage fees if you enjoy the wine in your cabin or on the balcony. We just ask for wine glasses and keep them in our room. We enjoyed a beautiful sailway in Montegro; with sunset, a wonderful double rainbow and wine on the veranda..........priceless,,,,,,,,and no corkage fees!

Anyone know what a luxury wine package is and where on the Oceania website to find information if this package is still offered? Thanks!

Do you mean like a Bon Voyage gift?

Onboard they did have a list of wines where you could purchase 3 or 4 in a package.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/bonvoyage/default.aspx

They use to have a list of wines but I cannot find it on the new site

Maybe someone will have a definite answer for you

Lyn

While we are talking about wines;

Does Oceania bother you too much about carrying wines aboard?

I know with Princess you can carry as much wine as you like aboard, before sailing or after being ashore at the ports.

How does Oceania feel about wine being carried on board? I am assuming that alcohol is not allowed to be carried on board (if they don't know !!:D)

Any foreseeable problems??

Snowbird

While we are talking about wines;

Does Oceania bother you too much about carrying wines aboard?

I know with Princess you can carry as much wine as you like aboard, before sailing or after being ashore at the ports.

How does Oceania feel about wine being carried on board? I am assuming that alcohol is not allowed to be carried on board (if they don't know !!:D)

Any foreseeable problems??

Snowbird

You can bring a reasonable amount of alcohol for use in your cabin.

Wine is the same if you take the wine to a dining venue then they charge a corkage fee no fee

Most people play by the rules & no problems.

That is what is so nice about Oceania they treat you like adults

Lyn

You can bring a reasonable amount of alcohol for use in your cabin.

Wine is the same if you take the wine to a dining venue then they charge a corkage fee no fee

Most people play by the rules & no problems.

That is what is so nice about Oceania they treat you like adults

Lyn

Reasonable? what's reasonable? Pray tell, exactly what are the rules? I have yet to be hassled on anything I bring on board for consumption in the stateroom. I never bring wine down to the dining venues - just buy what I want from the wine steward.

Reasonable? what's reasonable? Pray tell, exactly what are the rules? I have yet to be hassled on anything I bring on board for consumption in the stateroom. I never bring wine down to the dining venues - just buy what I want from the wine steward.

We have brought as many as 12 bottles on board with us, some of which were 1 1/2 litres. We travel in a PH and when we dine in our room, the butler opens and serves the wine. There is NO corkage charge. We also bring wine to the dining room. The one thing we have never done in 11 cruises is drink our own wine or hard liquor outside the cabin, save the dining room or speciality restaurants.

Anyone know what a luxury wine package is and where on the Oceania website to find information if this package is still offered? Thanks!

I don't think they refer to it as a "luxury" wine package, but Oceania does offer a wine package of sorts, although I've yet to see it advertised on their web site.

When we were on the Regatta, initially when we boarded we proceeded to Deck 10 to the Polo restaurant to book seatings for our cruise. At that time, the head sommelier had a table set up outside the restaurant with a list of wines that could be purchased in lots of 3 at a discounted price (I believe 20 - 30% off, but I'm not sure). We selected 6 wines, and any time we dined in one of the restaurants we asked the sommelier in attendance to bring a bottle of wine we thought would be appropriate for the meal.

I assume that you could also have one delivered to your room, although we did not do this. We had brought a half dozen or so bottles of wine on board from our stay in Barcelona prior to the cruise.

12 bottles including 1.5 liter bottles? Must have been quite a site!:D Where ever we've been, I have always been able to locate a wine/spirits shop. Best place to inquire is the local travel rep. that usually comes on board.

12 bottles including 1.5 liter bottles? Must have been quite a site!:D Where ever we've been, I have always been able to locate a wine/spirits shop. Best place to inquire is the local travel rep. that usually comes on board.

The cruise we're looking at departs from Dover and goes to Norway which isn't noted for their wines so doubt we would have opportunities to purchase any beyond Dover. We're unfamiliar with the port of Dover and it's location to town and bottle/wine shops. Anybody been there before? Not sure how wine prices are in the UK.....they must have a wonderful selection of given their proximity their wine growing neighbors across the channel.

Wouldn't think about bringing a bottle into the public areas other than the dining venues....that's what a veranda is for... LOL!

The cruise we're looking at departs from Dover and goes to Norway which isn't noted for their wines so doubt we would have opportunities to purchase any beyond Dover. We're unfamiliar with the port of Dover and it's location to town and bottle/wine shops. Anybody been there before? Not sure how wine prices are in the UK.....they must have a wonderful selection of given their proximity their wine growing neighbors across the channel.

Wouldn't think about bringing a bottle into the public areas other than the dining venues....that's what a veranda is for... LOL!

We'll be on this cruise too! And since we also cruised to Norway back in 2004, here are some thoughts:

Throughout Scandinavia, all alcohol is heavily taxed, so whatever you do, purchase what you wish in Britain. While it is also taxed, it is not as bad and you do get a wonderful choice of French, South African, Italian, Australian and New Zealand vintages.

I am not sure about a location of any shops in Dover, but we plan on staying there for two nights prior to sailing and either the hotel or any taxi driver can offer suggestions....

We'll be on this cruise too! And since we also cruised to Norway back in 2004, here are some thoughts:

Throughout Scandinavia, all alcohol is heavily taxed, so whatever you do, purchase what you wish in Britain. While it is also taxed, it is not as bad and you do get a wonderful choice of French, South African, Italian, Australian and New Zealand vintages.

I am not sure about a location of any shops in Dover, but we plan on staying there for two nights prior to sailing and either the hotel or any taxi driver can offer suggestions....

Guess we have hijacked the thread a bit, sorry folks! Would love to hear about your hotel in Dover and any input regarding ports on the intinerary Ricky.

Guess we have hijacked the thread a bit, sorry folks! Would love to hear about your hotel in Dover and any input regarding ports on the intinerary Ricky.

There's a Roll Call going for this cruise under July 23. Take a look here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965551

I think that may be the better place to continue this discussion so hop on over there - ask away, and I'll be happy to answer......;)

Leonid,

If you have thirty or forty cases carted on board and go into competition with the bar selling them for $50 a bottle to your fellow passengers, I'm guessing they'll hassle you...

If you're taking 14 bottles onboard for a 14 night cruise, I'm guessing you're okay...

If you're loading on thirty or forty cases and plan to drink them yourself, you've got a bigger problem than worrying about the cruise line policies...

There's a Roll Call going for this cruise under July 23. Take a look here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965551

I think that may be the better place to continue this discussion so hop on over there - ask away, and I'll be happy to answer......;)

Yeah, I agree. Always annoys me when the thread stays off topic for more than just a few posts....mostly because I can't remember where I read the information that was valuable, just off topic!

Bruin Steve: Agree!

Leonid,

If you have thirty or forty cases carted on board and go into competition with the bar selling them for $50 a bottle to your fellow passengers, I'm guessing they'll hassle you...

If you're taking 14 bottles onboard for a 14 night cruise, I'm guessing you're okay...

If you're loading on thirty or forty cases and plan to drink them yourself, you've got a bigger problem than worrying about the cruise line policies...

Into hyperbole, aren't we? Thirty or forty cases......get serious! That said, that's one of the reasons we stopped cruising on the all inclusives. Never an empty glass.

We have brought as many as 12 bottles on board with us, some of which were 1 1/2 litres. We travel in a PH and when we dine in our room, the butler opens and serves the wine. There is NO corkage charge.

So the definitive answer is that even though the butler is pouring it, there is no corkage fee. Good to know. Thanks.

Archived