afternoon tea

sparkyrmc

Certainly are;), standard of dress in the lounge looked as if 50% had wandered in from the pool area. They should take it in the buffet if they want to dress in a swimsuit with a pareo around it.

is it possible for us plebs in steerage to have afternoon tea in the queens room.:)

It should certainly be tried at least once, great cakes - battenberg particularly good and they serve clotted cream, not whipped like QV

I believe that it is scone, butter, jam and then cream

is it possible for us plebs in steerage to have afternoon tea in the queens room.:)

It should certainly be tried at least once, great cakes - battenberg particularly good and they serve clotted cream, not whipped like QV

Certainly are;), standard of dress in the lounge looked as if 50% had wandered in from the pool area. They should take it in the buffet if they want to dress in a swimsuit with a pareo around it.

Still smarting from January, I see. Are you ever going to move past your disappointment or have you made it your mission to keep posting here with negative impressions (in fact, the same ones, over and over...)? I hope it is helping you, as it is likely not helping anyone else. And a pareo would seem to qualify as a coverup, no? Hence making it acceptable, if not ideal, indoor attire? From your comments over the last six months, it seems rather unlikely you would ever cruise/cross with Cunard again, so why keep recycling your complaints? Lastly, you were on a Caribbean Cruise. Why were you surprised that 50% of the tea party looked as if they had come from the pool? It's a 30-45 minute nibble and sip - seems reasonable that many did not feel compelled to return to cabin and put on a smart outfit and makeup. As long as a coverup was in place, and tops for all, of course, no one was in violation of the dress code. We know the whole of it struck you as downscale, but why keep harping on it?

For afternoon tea are people seated with others, as at lunch in the dining room, or does each party get its own table, as at the buffet?

You sit wherever you want. If there are empty chairs at your table, fellow passengers may ask to join you. Keep in mind that it is very popular and you may have to wait for a table/chair unless you get there fairly close to starting time. On my last TA in May I found that arriving half an hour after "starting" time opened up a lot of tables, as people have so much else to do on board. And during port days--on a cruise, of course--the room was practically empty.

It was bog-standard double cream a couple of years ago, so I am delighted to see they have remedied this appalling culinary faux pas. Scone, then jam, then cream. From a purist perspective, the scones should be plain, not fruit, and butter should not be served.

A pedantic Mary

Still smarting from January, I see. Are you ever going to move past your disappointment or have you made it your mission to keep posting here with negative impressions (in fact, the same ones, over and over...)? I hope it is helping you, as it is likely not helping anyone else. And a pareo would seem to qualify as a coverup, no? Hence making it acceptable, if not ideal, indoor attire? From your comments over the last six months, it seems rather unlikely you would ever cruise/cross with Cunard again, so why keep recycling your complaints? Lastly, you were on a Caribbean Cruise. Why were you surprised that 50% of the tea party looked as if they had come from the pool? It's a 30-45 minute nibble and sip - seems reasonable that many did not feel compelled to return to cabin and put on a smart outfit and makeup. As long as a coverup was in place, and tops for all, of course, no one was in violation of the dress code. We know the whole of it struck you as downscale, but why keep harping on it?

Well said, Michael. If you paid heed to some of the stuff posted on here about daywear, you would do nothing all day except walk hundreds of miles to and from your cabin every five minutes to get changed into fashion-police-friendly attire.

Mary

. From a purist perspective, the scones should be plain, not fruit, and butter should not be served.

A pedantic Mary

But should it be a Scone or a Sconn.

I asked the girl, in measured tone

To bring for me a buttered scone.

The silly creature's been and gone

And brought instead a buttered scone.

Hands up for Scone. .... Ok

Hands up for Sconn. ........

(N.B. The inclusion of fruit, cherries, cheese or other adulterations of the aforesaid baked goods is not germaine to the argument.)

A disputatious Gari

Steerage passengers may take afternoon tea - however this will be entirely at the discretion of the Captain, and will be permitted only if it does not conflict with your rowing duties.

J

You wouldn't past muster down 'yer in cream tea country!!! Butter AND cream!!! It should be scone, cream, jam!!

:eek: Hmmm, I'm in utter shock, I have been putting cream on the scone first then jam all my life! Whatever will the world come to now? :)

Absolutely correct !!

:) Phew....after reading one posters (scone, jam and then cream) I thought I had been getting the order wrong all these years putting cream first then jam..:rolleyes: Thank you for posting from a Devon perspect. That is the way I always loaded up my scone, the devon way, and that is where clotted cream comes from, so it must be right!

Another QM2 dilemma fixed :D

Hands up for Scone. .... Ok

Hands up for Sconn. ........

Now Garaidh, I can see you wish,

To find out how to name this dish,

It is a puzzle, that’s for sure,

For me, the answer’s too obscure

But when you’ve scoffed your scoan (or sconn)

If to Dun Edin you are drawn

Consider this oh, young McGoun

Take time to view the Stone of Scone

J

:) Phew....after reading one posters (scone, jam and then cream) I thought I had been getting the order wrong all these years putting cream first then jam..:rolleyes: Thank you for posting from a Devon perspect. That is the way I always loaded up my scone, the devon way, and that is where clotted cream comes from, so it must be right!

Another QM2 dilemma fixed :D

And I've been doing it wrong for years:eek:. I shall go and shoot myself.

Mary

Archived