Why a big cruise ship?

Just curious, what attracts you to sailing on large cruise ships? (Especially for those who have sailed on them many times). I am VERY excited about trying Windstar sometime... but it hasn't happened just yet. The longer stays in smaller ports, the shorter lines, the exceptional reviews on the food... these all sound extremely appealing to me. (As does the pseudo-sailing... but that's definitely my personal preference). In contrast, larger ships tend to have longer lines, banquet style food (although sometimes very, very good) and a ship of 2,000+ people. It's like a small city. Some boats even have shopping malls in them! That doesn't seem much like a getaway to me. But, I haven't given up on the big ships yet! In fact, I'll be sailing on my second big-ship cruise in January (the Rhapsody). I guess that I'm needing some convincing that I made the right decision to get on another big ship vs. spending a bit more money and sailing on one of Windstar's boats.

THANKS!

We recently sailed on Explorer after being on two of RCI's smaller, but not smallest ships. Personally, I didn't really see that much difference for us.

There were more activities on the larger ship but, we don't participate in most of them. Me climbing a rock wall would be like a cow trying to scale a cliff. It just ain't going to happen. Although, like the cow I might stand and stare for a few moments.

I did like the extra food choices, especially the Cafe Promanade and Protifino's. I appreciated being able to get sandwiches and pizza 24/7 rather than just bar snacks after hours. JR's didn't do a thing for us. I can get hamburgers and fries at home pretty easy.

Personally, even though our sailing was pretty full, I never felt croweded on the ship nor did I have any more problems with long lines. In the pictures I posted on Web Shots you'll notice that there really is not any large crowds to contend with. We had no more problems getting on or off the ship than we encountered on our previous cruises.

What attracts me to the larger ships is the open spaces inside. I like to feel that I have a little room to move around in. The larger ships have more open spaces and I like that.

We sailed the AOS (Voyager class) a couple of weeks ago, and when we docked in St Thomas we were waiting in line for the SkyRide and talked to another couple on one of the small cruise ships also docked in St Thomas.

Apparently they had a really rough night at sea the previous night. They said their ship did quite a LOT of rocking. We said we'd only even felt our ship move the slightest bit twice during the entire cruise and that was only while we were sitting very still looking for it.

For "first time" cruisers especially, the larger ships with the stabalizers are very attractive. The food and service can be the best there is but if you're caught in the rack of "feeding the fish" you're not going to enjoy either. ;)

-Zac

Doug and Zac are both absolutely correct!

It's not the size of the ship that determines whether it is crowded; it is the space per passenger ratio. Our last two cruises were on a 40,000 GT ship with 1,700 pax and on a 140,000 GT ship with 3,600 pax. The smaller ship was severely overcrowded.

The bigger ships do seem more seaworthy. I can recall sitting in the Miami airport many years ago listening to passengers from other ships tell their horror stories about the terrible weather they had and what it was like to be seasick for a week. Yes, the seas were rough but we were so glad we were on the old Norway. That ship cut through the water like a knife through butter.

We've always preferred the big ships.

One thing, among many, that I like about the larger ships (I've been on both Explorer and Mariner) is the diversity of activities. There is nothing that says you have to take advantage of everything that is offered. But if your group is composed of people with various interests there will be something for everyone. If you want a very sedate relaxing experience you can have it. If you prefer to be physically active you can have that too. And you can have a combination of the two experiences. With smaller ships you are more limited in the type of environment that you can place yourself in.

As for crowds. It just doesn't happen that often on the Voyager ships. They are designed to handle the number of passengers that they carry and they do it extremely well.

We've been on nine cruises on ships ranging from 90,000 tons (Celebrity's Summit and Constellation) to 4,000 tons (SeaDream I, formerly Seabourn Sea Goddess I). The SeaDream cruise only had 52 passengers and it was only half full, but felt more crowded that the largest ships, due to the number of passengers per square foot. Also, the great range of options on the larger ships gave us more choices each day and night. We're booked on the Brilliance for July and can't wait.

Actually, a getaway isn't what every cruiser is looking for. If I could find a land-based all-inclusive with service, food, activities, entertainment, transportation and the opportunity for excursions that equal the shipboard experience at the same price, I'd go there in a minute, but as of yet haven't found anything close. I'm doing land-based Hawaii, and Carribean cruise next fall within a few weeks of each other, same length of trip, and realized that just my transportation and rooms for land-based Hawaii will be more than the total for the Carribean cruise. So, my point is that many cruisers are just looking for a great vacation at a great price.

I think for some people, they like the feel of lots of choices and lots of other people around.

When we do "land vacations", we always seem to end-up in the middle of downtown Chicago or Manhattan. So, of course when we booked our last (and first) cruise we decided on the Mariner. We're following it up (with just 3 months in-between) with a cruise on the Navigator!

Dave

We feel less "confined" on the larger ships, especially since my husband is claustrophobic. Also like all the extras found on board as opposed to smaller ships. We are active and like to stay busy, even if we don't partake of all of the activities, there are enough choices available. Also did seem more crowded on the smaller ship we sailed on. Pool areas, dining areas, gym, etc., were much smaller. The bigger the better in our book, just wish more would sail from Charleston, SC! We would go a lot more!

Thanks for all of the really good feedback. Having never sailed on the Rhapsody, I'm not 100% sure if a full ship would feel crowded or not. From what I hear, the ship is full for the sailing I'm taking.

Again, thanks for all the good input. I suppose if the crowds on the ship overwhelm me I'll be thankful I found a room with a balcony & will take advantage of it often. :)

I am sure this has been asked before, but being fairly new to RCCI I get confused with what ships are in the small, medium and large catagories. We just sailed on the Legend which I guess is one of the smaller ships as it did not have a mall, ice rinks, fancy alternatives restaurants, Johnny Rockets, etc. Was on the Song of Norway but it was so long ago that I forgot how big it was. Can someone clarify the difference in the Radiance, Vision, and any of the other classes and what ships go with what class? I am not even sure what class the Legend was in, only that I heard it was one of the fastest for its size. We want to go to the Panama Canal sometime in the late fall of 2005, but not sure which ship would be the best to take. Do they all fit through the locks? I have heard that some of the really big ships do not fit. Appreciate any info. you care to share:)

..because they keep building them larger. In 1985, other than the SS Norway

which was a transatlantic oceanliner retooled for caribbean cruising, the

Holiday from Carnival was the largest ship built exclusively for cruising. GRT?

45,000 tons or so. Today that is considered a mid-size at best, although I have cruised on her, and she's still plently large. Does not have what is now common..the centrum or atrium. Today, anything over 70,000 is considered large. Generally, the ships over 90,000 tons are too wide to fit through the

Panama Canal. You will never see a Voyager Class Panama Canal cruise. Not

sure about the Brilliance class. The Carnival Spirit class are what is called

"panamax" ships. They are absolutely the largest ship that can fit through

the Panama Canal, and it is a tight fit! These are about 85,000 tons, and they are very large, with lots of area, but just not as wide. Ofcourse the monster ships are over 100,000 tons. Voyager and Destiny class ships are examples. CCL's Destiny class is 110,000 tons, but

Voyager easily outspaces them at 135,00 tons...but Cunard's QM II is the

biggest, at around 150,000 tons. Stop the madness!

Basically, a large ship affords folks a quasi-luxury cruise at a relatively modest price. The small luxury ships have much better food and service. Less

activities but less crowding. But at a price that most middle class folks are

unable or at least unwilling to spend.

I would like to try Windstar once for the different experience and out of the

way ports..but for the price of one of those, I could do much more mainstream cruising.

Mitch

As you can see Im a big Rhapsody fan and am going on her again next year. I dont think of her as a big ship. I went on the Voyager this year and admit she is a nice ship but just toooo big for my taste.

If you get too overwhelmed on the pool deck of the Rhapsody, let me tell you about some of my favorite get away spots, without going back to my cabin. I love to take a book and curl up during the day hours in the Viking Crown lounge, high above everything, with the big windows to watch world drift by. Deck 5 has spots to sit and it is usually not crowded because there is nothing there other than a deck and the lifeboats and the ocean. I have found a lot of little spots on the Rhapsody that are quiet and easy to get away off by myself.

I go on the bigger ships mainly for "Sprinkles", the ice cream bar. Nothing like being on a Voyager class ship and enjoying the free ice cream on the Royal Promenade...

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh, say it ain't so Joe!

(Spoken in fluent Internet sarcasm)

I am sure this has been asked before, but being fairly new to RCCI I get confused with what ships are in the small, medium and large catagories...... Can someone clarify the difference in the Radiance, Vision, and any of the other classes and what ships go with what class?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/home.do;jsessionid=00007poasI5MztY8IkoYRbdZUXK:v2mocc7o?cS=NAVBAR

I go on the bigger ships mainly for "Sprinkles", the ice cream bar. Nothing like being on a Voyager class ship and enjoying the free ice cream on the Royal Promenade...

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh, say it ain't so Joe!

(Spoken in fluent Internet sarcasm)

Well looks like you will have to come up with a new reason, as according to the recent thread on Sprinkles, it has been eliminated. :(

Well looks like you will have to come up with a new reason, as according to the recent thread on Sprinkles, it has been eliminated. :(

Actually, I think that was his way of getting a little shot in to those who have commented on the Sprinkes loss. Wow, imagine that happening around here. To use his line... "Say it ain't so, Joe!!!!!!!!"

Archived