Connections Through Zurich - Security

NHBob

I have, in the past, commented on other threads that Zurich is one of the last civilized airports in the world. It still is, but as I discovered last week, there have been some changes since I was last through ZRH a couple of years ago, supposedly at the behest of the US TSA. Travelers boarding US-bound flights, including transfer passengers, need to be aware of the following:

• Most intercontinental flights, including all of those bound for the USA, depart from Terminal E.
  • A small number of gates have been dedicated to US-bound flights, and these gates are walled off from the other departure gates. So, after passport control, do not go up to departure gate level immediately. If you do so, you won't be able to get through to the US gates.
  • Follow the signs to your left on the lower level to your departure gate area, and only then go up to the departure level, where you will come to a security checkpoint; you will need your boarding pass and passport, and will be required to remove shoes, etc, just as in the USA, although not standard procedure in many European airports.
  • As two ladies ahead of me discovered to their dismay, be aware that you will not allowed to carry any liquids, other than the TSA-permitted small bottles, through this checkpoint. This even applies to duty free purchases made within the main terminal secure area. There is a small duty-free ship after this checkpoint, if you must shop.
  • At the gate you will encounter another dedicated passport control desk, where you will have to fill out a manifest form, even though this information is already in the airlines' computers.
  • Finally, you will need to show your passport one final time to board the aircraft.

All of this seems to be a bit of overkill, especially the repeated showing of ID (passports) but the Swiss are nothing if not thorough.

These were the procedures in effect on Wednesday, June 3rd, but I suppose changes are always possible.

Archived