ventura or independance of the seas

I am looking to book a 14 night cruise round the med next july and can`t decide on p&o or rc ,they both sound really good the price is simular the date the same the itinary nearlly identical my main concercn is I am taking my 14 year old son for the first time so want the best ship to entertain him and also the 2 sets of inlaws are coming so want something for them as well has anyone got any comments to help decide on the best option. thanks

I suggest going on the Independence seeing as I've never heard of the Ventura....what cruise line is that associated with??? The Independence has all the bells and whistles a 14 y.o. could ask for......

enjoy..............

I suggest going on the Independence seeing as I've never heard of the Ventura....what cruise line is that associated with??? The Independence has all the bells and whistles a 14 y.o. could ask for......

enjoy..............

Ventura belongs to P&O and is almost identical to Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess.

Well... they are both big! But I guess you already know that! I've not been on Ventura (I am going on a ship visit soon though :p) but I have cruised on Independence and there was never a dull moment. Although American, Independence is very much geared up to the UK market with touches to make us feel at home... I had to laugh at the mushy peas in the Windjammer :p and the American Panto was erm different! 95 percent of the passengers on my last cruise on her were from the UK. I would imagine Ventura would have a similar percentage if not slightly more of UK cruisers.

Of course, you will pay for everything in dollars on Independence and are at the mercy of the £/$ exchange rate. I have read that on here that the prices on P&O are lower and they are in pounds so you know exactly what you are spending! I did find Independence expensive and felt they used every opportunity to get you to spend as much money as possible on board. I don't know if if Ventura is the same. P&O allow you to bring alcohol on board to drink in your cabin but that is strictly off limits on Royal Caribbean and any alcohol you bring on board will be taken off you and given back the night before you disembark.

There is a slightly different tipping culture between P&O and RCI but that is a whole different subject and I'm steering clear of that one! Apart from that I can't think of any other differences.

If you are in the school holidays, then both ships will be full with plenty of things for kids and adults to. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

We went on Independence last August and she is huge - loved everything about her. We had 4 adults, 2 16 year old, 14 and 13 and they never had a dull moment. They loved the flowrider (kept rejoining queue to go back on), loved the pools, loved the bars, loved the shows, loved the late night pizza place at end of promenade, loved Rock the Boat, as you can see it was brilliant.

We looked at the Ventura initially but couldn't fit our dates in. Paying in dollars isn't a problem. We have been spoilt by RCI but would fancy trying Ventura in future but will see. We have been on Jewel as a couple which is smaller and Independence as a group. We are on Voyager in October as family and this is similar layout to Independence so will know our way around.

Whichever you book you will love - and then try the other company a different time.

Archived