Libraries

panda24

If you're going to leave books in the library, you should check out www.bookcrossing.com

You register your books there and get an ID# for them. Then you label the books, and whoever picks it up can log it (anonymously, if they wish) and track its journey.

After cruising, bookcrossing is my favorite hobby! I bring dozens of books to leave on ships. On my last cruise (Caribbean Princess NY to NE/Canada), one of my books was picked up by a cruiser, who then left it on an RCI ship in SE Asia, where it was picked up by a British cruiser who then took it home with the plan to release it on a Mediterranean cruise.

I leave books all over my town too - my local library has a book exchange shelf.

Our libraries sell the used books. No exchange.

That's too bad! But there are other places around town that you can leave books, such as bus stops (or on the bus/train), in the lobby between the double entrance doors of any shop, on the table in a fast food restaurant, etc.

If your one who is interested in leaving used books behind, bookcrossing is a really fun hobby!!!

That's too bad! But there are other places around town that you can leave books, such as bus stops (or on the bus/train), in the lobby between the double entrance doors of any shop, on the table in a fast food restaurant, etc.

If your one who is interested in leaving used books behind, bookcrossing is a really fun hobby!!!

I've know about book crossing for years, but since most of our vacations are cruises, that's where I leave them. I also leave books in hotels/motels, but I wonder whether they get recycled or just tossed.

I have found quite a few new (to me) authors on cruises. I love to read books on cruises and will take several which I don't want to keep and leave them for others to enjoy when I finish them. I have always been able to find a good selection of books on Princess ships. Catherine

We also have found a few "new" authors in ships libraries. I first read Carl Hiaasen on a cruise. He is not widely known in the UK but I have since read every book that he has written.

We were more than pleasantly surprised to find a magnificent library on the Pacific Princess and they had just received and stocked the shelves with the absolute most up to date books. The only thing I bring now is a crossword puzzle book I can tuck in my handbag and maybe a Readers Digest I've picked up and can leave anywhere

Do the libraries have a range of large print books? I wouldnt want to lug too many of those onboard if I didnt have to.

I understand you're problem. Those large print books are heavy. Anyway, they do have a limited selection of large print books or at least they did on the Emerald in March. If the rest of us can't be picky on our selections, that goes double or triple for large print.

On our recent cruise on the Crown I did read several books from their Library and yes, you may keep them all cruise long. I spent most of my time in the Sanctuary reading, except when I fell asleep in my cushy lounger, or when I was smiling with my fellow passengers with a cold drink in my hand!!;)

Do the libraries have a range of large print books? I wouldnt want to lug too many of those onboard if I didnt have to.
You might consider getting the Amazon Kindle book reader so you can adjust the type size. It also eliminates lugging books in your luggage.

My local library has a used book store right next door, in the same building. Most books are only $.10.

Our library used to sell paperbacks for $.25 and hard covers for $1.00. They've become more affluent and now the prices are 50 cents and two dollars. I don't know how much they're making, but it must bring in some revenue.

I would love to visit your library, but transportation would be too costly. ;)

You might consider getting the Amazon Kindle book reader so you can adjust the type size. It also eliminates lugging books in your luggage.

Thanks Pam, that is great idea. Unfortunately they dont have that out here in OZ, but I cant imagine it will be long.

Thanks everyone for your replies - it is a 16 night Sun cruise so I will lug a few large print and also check out the library.

Kind regards

Jane

Our library used to sell paperbacks for $.25 and hard covers for $1.00. They've become more affluent and now the prices are 50 cents and two dollars. I don't know how much they're making, but it must bring in some revenue.

Our local library also has a used book store in the same building as the library. It's run by the "Friends of" the library organization and they make about 100K a year which is used by the library to buy new books, kids reading programs, etc. Not bad. They sort donated books...most go to the book store and are sold cheap, some go to the library shelves, and more valuable donations are sold on e-bay. It's a nice supplement to the library's budget.

I would love to visit your library, but transportation would be too costly. ;)

It doesn't get too much more afluent than Orange County, CA but thankfully, we have a great library system and I love my local library. Libraries have been a part of my everyday life since my Mom started taking me to one when I was just starting to read, a veeerrryyyy long time ago. We have a terrific book club (30 - 35 people come every month) and they have movies, lectures, author nights, etc. There's even a cafe next door so after you've found a good book, you can have some coffee, relax and start reading. :)

You're welcome to visit any time. :)

It doesn't get too much more afluent than Orange County, CA but thankfully, we have a great library system and I love my local library. Libraries have been a part of my everyday life since my Mom started taking me to one when I was just starting to read, a veeerrryyyy long time ago. We have a terrific book club (30 - 35 people come every month) and they have movies, lectures, author nights, etc. There's even a cafe next door so after you've found a good book, you can have some coffee, relax and start reading. :)

You're welcome to visit any time. :)

I used to travel to SNA quite often; daughter lived in Fountain Valley. Son is in Torrance; will be there in December. I may just pop in if I find some extra time.

Kind regards

Jane

This is where an e-reader - like the Amazon Kindle - is very useful. You can adjust the type size very simply from very small to very large. Not cheap, but very nice.

Archived