Libraries

panda24

I know this is a random question but does anyone know if there is a way to find out what books are in a ships library? I will be on Golden in just a few weeks and didn't know whether to lug my own books or wait and see what I could read on board. Also can you check the books out or just read in the library?

I know this is a random question but does anyone know if there is a way to find out what books are in a ships library? I will be on Golden in just a few weeks and didn't know whether to lug my own books or wait and see what I could read on board. Also can you check the books out or just read in the library?

There is no way to know in advance. Just be assured that nothing on the Best Seller List will be there. Yes, you can check them out, but be sure to return them on the last cruise day. I usually bring what I want and then leave them for others to enjoy. I would suggest that you make the library a priority as soon as it's open.

As Pia said, if you are not looking for something on the Bestsellers/recent book, you should find something of interest. Depending on which ship you are going on, the Library might not be the best place to read anymore. On the Star and Golden, the the addition of the Piazza, they have combined the library and internet cafe, with their only being a few chairs.

I try to take advantage of the "take one, leave one" paperback exchange. You sometimes get things you would never have chose in other circumstances. But please don't just take and not leave any. You see people doing that and it just isn't fair. If nothing else, take a couple that you've already read and start by exchanging those.

I try to take advantage of the "take one, leave one" paperback exchange. You sometimes get things you would never have chose in other circumstances. But please don't just take and not leave any. You see people doing that and it just isn't fair. If nothing else, take a couple that you've already read and start by exchanging those.

We usually each read a paperback on the way to the embarkation port. We then switch and read the other book. Then we go to the library and trade them in or just leave them if we don't see anything.

The books in the library are a pretty good mixture of new and older books; I always find a couple that I haven't read yet. I also use the paperback book exchange but you have to get there early as after the first couple of days, that's pretty well raided.

The ships with the absolutely best library are the Royal, Pacific and Tahitian/Ocean with lots of books, far more than on the Sapphire or Crown.

We have a pretty sizeable roll call for our upcoming Crown cruise and will be having our own "book club" on one of the sea days. :) We picked a book and will all read it beforehand.

We hit the library almost immediately (of coarse we eat first) to take advantage of the paperback exchange. We pack books from home, some that originated on other ship's paperback exchange, to drop off. I've been lucky in finding new release hard cover books, including best sellers, in Princess libraries but you can't count on it. You can't be to picky but sometimes you discover a new author that you enjoy.

I am a sci-fi/fantasy type of reader and almost always find books onboard I have not read. We've been pleased with the libraries onboard ship, except for the hours they are staffed. Most will have the cabinets locked when the librarian is not present, so watch closely in the Princess Patter for the operating hours.

One of the nice things we've observed is that returning books are wiped down to reduce transmission of germs from one passenger/cruise to another.

We hit the library almost immediately (of coarse we eat first) to take advantage of the paperback exchange. We pack books from home, some that originated on other ship's paperback exchange, to drop off. I've been lucky in finding new release hard cover books, including best sellers, in Princess libraries but you can't count on it. You can't be to picky but sometimes you discover a new author that you enjoy.

You've probably been on with me, or someone else like me. Instant gratification is part of my persona and I spend a fortune on books as soon as they come out. Just came back from Costco and bought two new ones. :D

Psst: next time go BEFORE you eat.

I have found quite a few new (to me) authors on cruises. I love to read books on cruises and will take several which I don't want to keep and leave them for others to enjoy when I finish them. I have always been able to find a good selection of books on Princess ships. Catherine

Or you can do what I did recently because I got tired of lugging lots of heavy books around on vacation...I bought myself a Kindle! It is the best luxury gift I ever bought myself! I got it to celebrate getting a 1 year clean cancer report and it really was a stretch to make myself do it, but I am glad I did! It is called the Amazon Kindle, it is $349 and it is fantastic. You have instant access to most books and authors you could ever want. The cost for best sellers is generally 9.99. There are also plenty of free and inexpensive books as well. The best part is if I finish a book or don't feel like reading it, within seconds, I can download another. It holds more books than I could read in a lifetime. That is what I will be bringing on my cruise in August.

Our library has a used book sale twice a year. Papebacks are 50 cents. I buy a bunch and we take them when ever we travel. They are much lighter and cheaper than hardcover books. When we finish, we trade with others, give them away or put them in the library on the ship.

We have a pretty sizeable roll call for our upcoming Crown cruise and will be having our own "book club" on one of the sea days. :) We picked a book and will all read it beforehand.

Wow, that's a great idea -- I'll have to remember that for a future cruise; I'd love to do that. What book did y'all pick?

Back to OP's question: it really depends on how picky you are in terms of what you want to read. Generally I prefer to bring my own paperbacks with me (I save up the latest by my favourite authors for each vacation) so I can read what I want, rather than having to take the luck of the draw.

Wow, that's a great idea -- I'll have to remember that for a future cruise; I'd love to do that. What book did y'all pick?
Our first port is St. Peter Port, Guernsey, which I have to admit I know little about. The book is "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer.

From Publishers Weekly

The letters comprising this small charming novel begin in 1946, when single, 30-something author Juliet Ashton (nom de plume Izzy Bickerstaff) writes to her publisher to say she is tired of covering the sunny side of war and its aftermath. When Guernsey farmer Dawsey Adams finds Juliet's name in a used book and invites articulate—and not-so-articulate—neighbors to write Juliet with their stories, the book's epistolary circle widens, putting Juliet back in the path of war stories. The occasionally contrived letters jump from incident to incident—including the formation of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society while Guernsey was under German occupation—and person to person in a manner that feels disjointed. But Juliet's quips are so clever, the Guernsey inhabitants so enchanting and the small acts of heroism so vivid and moving that one forgives the authors (Shaffer died earlier this year) for not being able to settle on a single person or plot. Juliet finds in the letters not just inspiration for her next work, but also for her life—as will readers. (Aug.)

I usually bring what I want and then leave them for others to enjoy..

Pia ~

What a great idea.icon14.gif

Never knew you could do that.

I have boxes and boxes of books

( keep adding best sellers - recent ones) don't know what to do with them.

Do I just drop them off in the library?

Chris

Pia ~

What a great idea.icon14.gif

Never knew you could do that.

I have boxes and boxes of books

( keep adding best sellers - recent ones) don't know what to do with them.

Do I just drop them off in the library?

Chris

Yep -- just go anytime the library is open (I go the first day to drop off the book(s) I've read on the plane and then on the last day to drop off all the rest that I've read). You can hand them to the staff person working at the time. Quick and easy! Also, if I remember, for fun, I write my CC name on the inside cover -- just in case anybody I know from here picks one up in the future.

Yes, the library has a section for paperback exchange. You can leave any books you are finished with and take ones that look interesting. On some ships the libraries are staffed and only open certain hours. These hours are listed in the Princess Patter each day. Other ships, including the Pacific, the Royal and the Tahitian/Ocean are not staffed and are open 24 hours most days. (Once or twice there has been something going on in the library so it was closed for a while.)

Yep -- just go anytime the library is open (I go the first day to drop off the book(s) I've read on the plane and then on the last day to drop off all the rest that I've read). You can hand them to the staff person working at the time. Quick and easy! Also, if I remember, for fun, I write my CC name on the inside cover -- just in case anybody I know from here picks one up in the future.

Fantastic idea. I love it! From this day forward every book I leave on a ship will bear my CC name. :D

One of the used book stores I frequent has a stack of "fill a bag for $5.00" books.

I bring the books with me when I travel and leave them as I read them. On a recent

long road trip, I left books in 11 different hotels. Never thought to put my CC name

on the inside. I'll start doing that....you never know who's going to pick them up.

I've exchanged books in ships' libraries on just about every cruise line. It's fun to

see what you can find, and to wonder where your books will go next.

I have been on some ships where the entire library is locked but most just have the cases locked. There is one unlocked case where the exchange books are kept. Some libraries are much better than others, due to space. The one on the Emerald was fairly small and not very inviting to sit and read. The best I have found has been on the Ryndam. That one was combined with the internet cafe but Holland did it right, with lots of space and comfortable seating.

Archived