my questions about Costa Maya

mr banana

I've found a lot of great information about Costa Maya through this forum the past few days. I'll actually be in Costa Maya on the Carnival Miracle on 12/29. Here are a few questions I had about the area. Thanks if you have any answers to provide :D

1. Would it be possible to take a taxi to see the Mayan ruins of Dzibanche and then on the way back stop off and swim in a cenote for about an hour? Would it be better to spend an hour at a cenote and then continue on to the ruins?

2. Are there any nearby cenotes other than cenote azul that would work for the possible trip above?

3. Are the Kohunlich ruins still partially closed due to a fire in the last year or so?

4. Which restaurants in Majahual would be recommended for the freshest fish and seafood?

gracias! :D

-mr banana

Hello Fabio & Carola,

I have seen many pictures of Tapas bar/restaurant/beach, and it looks like a "fun" place:-) I will be in Mahahual on March 2, 2005 (Carnival Miracle), and am planning to stop by for lunch & a cocktail (or 3). Do you have a website where your lunch menu is posted? Or can you tell me what fresh seafood items you offer?

I look forward to spending my day in Costa Maya in MAHAHUAL:-)

See you soon.

Island Annie

We Had A Great Time At Tapas Bar Over The Thanksgiving Cruise. Edgar Was Great. We Had 8 People 6 Of Whom Were Eating A Drinking A Lot. The Whole Day Was Only $124 That Included A Lobster Lunch And Much More. The Only Thing Negative May Have Been The Bathroom At The Restaurant. Also Tapas Needs To Invest In More Lounge Chairs. We Are Going Back Next Dec With Different People And Plan To Go Back To Tappas. Any Questions??

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone share approx. how much it would cost to visit any of the ruins on your own, and/or if doing so is even possible?

Thanks, Kathy

I believe it ended up costing about $150 (+ tip) to take a full taxi with 4 people out to the ruins of Chacchoben with a stop at Cenote Azul. We found a guide at the ruins and had a very informative tour ($3 per person entrance + tip for guide). Then we drove along Lake Bacalar and ate at the restaurant at Cenote Azul w/ our taxi driver Luis. It was some very tasty food and it was fun to watch people jump off the roof of the restaurant into the cenote. It was also kinda cool to be surrounded by mostly locals instead of a bunch of other tourists w/ fanny packs. What a setting right there on the water! It was a relaxing day and didn't really feel too rushed. Never had the chance to spend time in Mahahual, but it looks like a pleasant relaxing little town.

One thing that kinda pissed me off was the huge cruise center / mall area. I guess its necessary to have something like that to pay for the dock, but how many "Diamonds Internationals" do you have to pass before they stop building more???

Archived