Snorkeling at Dzul Ha or Playa Corona?

AryMay

Looking for a place to spend the day...decent snorkeling, beach chairs, food, etc. I realize that the snorkeling would be better by taking a boat out to the reef, but we would rather not take a tour. We have our own equipment so don't need to rent any.

I've been to Dzul Ha (heard it is now the Money Bar) back before the hurricanes, but have never been to Playa Corona. Can anyone who has been to either (or both) of these places give me some advice on which might be the better choice? (Or if you have any other suggestions, I'm open to ideas.)

The "snorkeling" at either is comparable. The "Money Bar" is far superior in regards to improvements. Much nicer than it used to be as Dzul Ha. Also more expensive, and in my opinion has less local flavor. Playa Corona looks like it used to, but now has been through a major hurricane. It never was that special, now it looks even more weathered. The snorkeling at both places was adversly effected by Hurricane Wilma. It will not be as you remember.

How many are in your group? As a suggestion I would take a longer taxi ride down the coast to Playa Palancar. It is on an actual beach as opposed to Iron shore. The snorkeling off the beach is no good, but they do have a small boat that takes people out to the reef to skorkel. It runs $30-40 a person. It is not a "tour" so to speak but a hour to hour and a half? roughly to snorkel on a shallow part of the reef close to where all the scuba diving is done. It is far superior to any of the snorkeling you can do from shore. Plus you can hang out at the beach the rest of the day. They have food and beverage service, beach loungers ect. It is much less crowded than all the other beach clubs.

The question on how many in your group is about the travel cost. Playa Palancar is the southern most beach and costs more than all the others for taxis. But over a group of people the cost can be more resonable that for 1 or 2 people.

Have a great time

Rich

We went to Playa Palancar in April. The weather had churned everything up and we had to leave after paying a 25$ cab fare. The owner of the boat told us to go to the Money Bar and we had a great relaxing day there. Not the best snorkeling we've ever seen but one of my favorite stops. The facility was beautiful. We did see plenty of fish- parrot fish etc. Someone saw sea horses but we didn't. We saw snorkel boats stop by all day. We have our own equipment. Spent a whopping $18 for 4 beers and a plate of chicken nachos brought to us at the lounge chairs.

Archived