Vancouver - transfers to airport or taxi?

Sleddogs

We are doing our own air for our upcoming cruise tour to Alaska. Flying home from Vancouver and will need transportation to the airport. Our flight leaves at 12:20 p.m. for home.

Should we buy transfers on the ship, or can we do better going by taxi?

Not sure how far the airport is from the cruise terminal.

Appreciate any information. Thank you!
Sleddogs

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary
Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)
Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004
Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Sleddogs,

The airport is something like a 30-40 min ride from the pier and is subject to traffic congestion because the pier (I am thinking Canada Place) is downtown. It surprised me because on the map, the airport does not look that far away.

One potential disadvantage with shuttles is that they wait until they are full before they leave for their destination which can take some time.

Also shuttles charge on a per person basis so if you are transporting say a family of 4, it can add up quick--making the cost of a taxi reasonable.

One thing that surprised me when we took our Alaskan cruise was how relatively inexpensive stretch limousine service was. We paid $35 CAD for my family of 4 to be transported in a nice stretch limo from our downtown hotel (Hyatt) to the airport. I did a quick search on the internet and found as an example this limo company--Limojet Gold--which charges a flat $39 CAD (+tax) for a one way transfer between downtown and the airport for up to 6 people:

[url="http://www.limojetgold.com/airport.htm"]http://www.limojetgold.com/airport.htm[/url]

Come to think of it, this may be the limo service that we used. Anyway, you have to agree that a private stretch limo ride to the airport would make the transition from being thrown off the ship into the real world a little easier! Better yet, book a hotel in Vancouver for the night and spend a day in that wonderful city!!

Jubilee 1991 Solar Eclipse
Century FO 1996 E Carib
Mercury FO 1998 W Carib
Galaxy SS 2000 Alaska IP
Infinity FV 2002 S Carib
Horizon HS 3/05 W Carib

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jmcelheron:
I don't know how much they are charging for the transfers but it is a long way to the airport and a taxi would be very expensive. There are shuttles that go from the cruise dock to the airport that are about $25.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you're going in rush hour, which I highly doubt, I can't see you paying more than $25 - $30 Cdn. for a cab downtown to the airport. It's only about 15 k.

Island Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Some Ship, Some Itinerary, Somewhere in the Med.
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas
11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas
Alaska - Dawn Princess

Trust me - I live in Vancouver. It may only be 15K to the airport but the traffic in Vancouver is horrendous at any time of the day. Our friends took a cab from Canada Place after their Alaskan cruise last summer. Not rush hour timing - $55 cab.

The limo is a good idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jmcelheron:
Trust me - I live in Vancouver. It may only be 15K to the airport but the traffic in Vancouver is horrendous at any time of the day. Our friends took a cab from Canada Place after their Alaskan cruise last summer. Not rush hour timing - $55 cab.

The limo is a good idea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offence, I live in Vancouver too, work a block from the pier and live by the airport! You can't tell me that a cab for 9 miles at 10:00 am in the morning is going to cost $55. No way. Rush hour up Granville, maybe, but any other time, they were had.

Island Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Some Ship, Some Itinerary, Somewhere in the Med.
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas
11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas
Alaska - Dawn Princess

this is the one port that we did a limo. IT was only $30.00 and very comfortable. I didnt notice how long it took because we where so comfortable. The limo's are right out at the curb waiting. $30 plus tip. IT was cheaper then a cab.

Lets Go!

Royal's Viking Seranade 1/94
Carnival, Holiday 12/95
Carnival, Jubilee 12/96
Royal's, Song of America 11/98
Celebrity Galaxy 9/99
Royal's, Viking Seranade 6/00
Celebrity, Millennium 12/00
Royal's Vision 2/02
Royal's Vision 12/02
Royal's Monarch 6/03
Celebrity Galaxy 9/17/04 !!

DO NOT EVEN WORRY ABOUT A 12:20 FLIGHT , YOU WILL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME . I CAME BACK FROM ALASKA LAST YEAR ON THE INFINITY AND WAS AT THE AIRPORT AT 9:00 AM. YES , DOWNTWON VANCOUVER HAS LOTS OF TRAFFIC DURING THE WEEK - - BUT THE SHIPS ARRIVE ON THE WEEKEND AND THE TRAFFIC WILL BE VERY LIGHT . HAVE A GREAT TRIP.

Thanks everyone for some great tips. I will definitely look into the limo. Aaaah, a final bit of luxury before coming back to reality! Did you book the limo before leaving home?

Actually will look into all of your suggestions before leaving. Thanks again. Sleddogs [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

sleddogs,

we booked our limo for the trip to the airport while staying at the Hyatt--about 48 hr advanced notice. If you are not staying in Vancouver afterward, I would definitely get it nailed down before leaving home.

Jubilee 1991 Solar Eclipse
Century FO 1996 E Carib
Mercury FO 1998 W Carib
Galaxy SS 2000 Alaska IP
Infinity FV 2002 S Carib
Horizon HS 3/05 W Carib

Good to know. We are not staying in Vancouver this time around. It's off the ship and straight to the airport. So I'll definitely make plans before we leave. Thanks!

Sheddogs,

Thanks for asking the question I planned to ask in the near future for our cruise out of Vancouver in which we planned our own flight.

MAHDNC,

Thanks for a great suggestion which I will surprise my wife with.

Yanceycruiser

Dreamward 1/95
Norway 1/97
Grandeur of the Seas 1/99
Grand Princess 2/01
Carnival Pride 2/03

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;08;22;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Until the Infinity on
August 22, 2004

Yanceycruiser,
You are welcome! What would we do without Cruise Critic?

Enjoy your trip! Sleddogs

Thanks Sleddogs,

I see you are going on a 30th Anniversary Cruise next year. Congratulations. Our 40th was this past January and the upcoming Alaska Cruise is my gift to my wife who has always wanted to go.

Yanceycruiser

Dreamward 1/95
Norway 1/97
Grand Princess 2/01
Carnival Pride 2/03

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;08;22;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Until the Infinity on
August 22, 2004

Wow! Congratulations to you too! Time sure flies. And what better way to celebrate than with a cruise? We started cruising for our 25th anniversary, hubby and I got hooked, and we're still going!

Sleddogs

Sleddogs,

We starting cruising a little late - our 30th and have been going every other year since. We will start cruising at least once a year from here on out. I would have started earlier, however, my brother convinced me that cruising wasn't fun - imagine that! That I even listened to him.

We plan to take to take the 12 day cruise/land cruise when I retire in about 3 to 4 years. I look forward to hearing about your trip and experiences. Have a great 12-day trip.

Yanceycruiser

Dreamward 1/95
Norway 1/97
Grand Princess 2/01
Carnival Pride 2/03

Until the Infinity on
August 22, 2004

Thanks! I'll try to be good and write a review when we get back! Sleddogs [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Be sure to line up Limojet Gold ahead of time. While we were waiting for ours to pull up, a couple (after seeing the LOOOOOOOOONG line for taxis) asked about a limo. The dispatcher quoted them $75 CDN for the one-way trip to the airport - using a different limo service.

If anyone waits for the last minute, asking the dispatcher for Limojet Gold will save some $$.

Mary Ellen,
Thanks for the tip. I am not one to leave things to chance when travelling. I always have to have everything lined up ahead of time so I will definitely check out Limo Jet before leaving.

Sleddogs

Archived