Balcony worth the extra expense?

berlingo

:)Hi :)

We have cruised a couple of times before but this July on the Ventura will be the first time with a balcony (and a mini suite).

Do you think we will get our moneys worth out of going for a more expensive cabin?

Will we noticed a lot of difference from the standard outside cabins we have chosen previously?

(This is a very pricey holiday for us so I would like reassuring it will not be an unnecessary expense.)

Many Thanks Julia

Our first 2 cruises were in an inside cabin.

Our next 2 were oceanview (window).

Our next 2 were balcony.

We could never go back to window or inside again after having been in cabins with balcony. The difference really is huge. It can play a major part in the enjoyment of your cruise that you just could not get otherwise.

I personally think the mini-suites on Ventura are not good value. I would always go for the balconies on C deck just above them. But that is because I like the huge balcony and the fact that you are not completely overlooked.

Have fun

Gerry

There's no doubt a balcony cabin is nicer. But whether or not it's 'worth it' depends on many things. One of these is the ship itself, which determines how much extra a balcony cabin costs.

In the case of Ventura, Arcadia and (in the fullness of time) Azura, a balcony cabin doesn't cost much more than an outside cabin; in fact, there are very few simple 'outside' cabins, they're almost all balconies. So in this case, I'd say probably yes. Them look at orians - balconies are rare and cost a lot more than outsides - so possibly not. In the case of Oceana and Aurora you're in a sort of middle ground; lots of balconies but they're rather enclosed (they're 'hull-hole' balconies), there are still quite a few ordinary outsides, so the choice is a bit more difficult.

But as regards Ventura, go for it if you can.

(Actually, have you already booked the mini-suite?)

Personally I think it depends on how much you think you'd use the balcony and how much you would appreciate the outside space. Also the amount of the pricing differential.

Most of my cruises have been in balcony cabins and I personally get a lot of pleasure out of sitting there with a glass of wine in the afternoons and being able to pop out first thing in the morning as soon as I wake up. Personally I would pay probably £300 extra per person for a balcony rather than an outside cabin but this is strictly my own rule of thumb that I have given myself based on how much extra I think it would add to my holiday. I'm sure other people have got their own guidelines as to how much it is worth to them but this will vary a lot person to person. I have tried mini-suites but I don't feel for me that I need to pay any extra to upgrade from balcony to mini-suite or suite - as long as I have my outside space then I'm happy!

An added bonus is for smokers as many companies allow smoking on balconies. We don't smoke but I know others book balconies because of this.

A balcony also guarantees you seats and an outside space on a ship where deck space will be limited.

If you spend your days sunbathing around the pool and evenings enjoying drinks in the bar and the show then a balcony may not enhance your holiday as much as someone who likes to relax in their cabin after a hectic day in port!

Thank you for all comments so far.

To answer Toms question - yes we have booked a mini suite on E deck.

When we booked the only options for a family of four were 2 inside cabins or for an extra few hundred the only mini suite available to sleep 4 people. Given the limited options and what we thought was a good deal for the school holidays we decided to pay the extra for the mini suite. This was partly because we thought a fortnight in inside cabins may not suit us and also because for some reason I prefer to have the children in our cabin. Which I know is a little irrational but perhaps I have watched the "T" film too many times!

Kind regards Julia

In school holidays a balcony is a huge bonus, personal space to relax, because you sure won't get that around the pools onboard...

On Oriana a fortnight ago in the Whitson holidays, all 3 pools were full of kids even the jacuzzis had small children in there unattended, and then one pool we were sat by was closed to us adults (1600 of us out of 1800 passengers) so a few kids could play pool games for a hour or so shouting and screaming....and larking about...time to retreat to the calm of the balcony with a glass of wine... heaven:)

I also agree that private balcony space is wonderful and enables you to escape from the masses.

As a precious reply mentions the difference in price between cabin grades does vary enormously between ships.

On the Ventura there are a lot of balcony cabins so they are not at such a premium.

I wouldn't pay much extra for an outside cabin but the joy of opening the doors and stepping out is FAB and for me worth the extra.

The regular balcony cabins on Ventura are not very big and the mini-suite will give you more space( you don't mention the age of your children but I guess they will be on the sofa bed?).

Mine are of an age now that I like them in their own cabin with their own bathroom and their own mess !!

This year they have an inside and we are in a mini suite, which suits me fine.

There are some fabulous deals around just now and assume from your post that you have only just booked in which case I guess you got the Mini Suite

at a great price.

ENJOY

Yes the girls will be on the sofa bed- much to their disgust! We felt we had a good deal on the mini suite with it working out at about £ 69 per night between the four of us( so approx an extra £150 per person on top of the two inside cabins price). Still an expensive holiday for us but it seemed a bargain too good too miss, so we took the plunge!

Thanks everyone for your feedback and excellent suggestions. I have already quite a list of very good tips from this forum which I am sharing with friends who are also on the same cruise. Any more advice will be most appreciated.

Many thanks julia

You certainly did get a good deal (which should add to your enjoyment!!)

by the figures you quote your original price for an inside cabin was very good, there will be many folks on board that will have paid double that for inside cabins.

Another year you could not hope to cruise in mid summer with P&O for under £1000 a head.

I hope your girls are small otherwise the sofa bed will be a very tight squeeze we had friends who had a family suite on the Oriana and their boys gave up on the sofa in the end and took turns on the floor.....not ideal !

Enjoy your cruise and your bargain.

Yes, with 4 people the mini-suite will be well worth-it. I was going to suggest that an ordinary balcony cabin might be not much less good, especially if you could get one of the C-deck cabins (standard balcony cabin price, but double-depth balcony!) for quite a saving; but if there's four of you then the mini-suite is a better idea.

And here's another plus. The mini-suites on deck D have completely-exposed balconies offering no shelter from either the sun or everyone's curious gaze above you, but the Deck E mini-suite balconies are shaded. This might not be ideal but at least they're not open to view.

We got a last minute deal on a Balcony cabin last year on Ocean Village (our first cruise) and loved peeking out in the mornings to watch us docking, or in the evening watching the sunset with a drink and a book.

However this year I have booked two cruises with P&O and RCL and can only afford to get inside cabins. I keep saying to myself that we will only be sleeping in there so it doesn't matter, but in my heart of hearts I know I will miss having the balcony

We are on Ventura for Christmas and New Year (when no doubt the ship will be chock-a-block) and have booked C-Deck balconies primarily so we will have somewhere to sit in the fresh air for some peace and quiet!

Carol x

Archived