Answers for first time cruisers on NCL Star

pickyCOmom

I am posting this for first time Alaskan cruisers on NCL Star. I used these boards before I cruised and it seemed to pose more questions than it answered for me in a lot of areas so here it goes: We sailed 5/30 - 6/6, 2009.

Transportation to/from Sea-Tac airport. There are many options. NCL offers a shuttle for $30 per person each way. You have to book this at least a few weeks out from cruising. There are several shuttle companies that are about $25+ per person. Just search for seattle airport shuttles on google. Cabs run about $45 FROM the airport but $32 from the pier to the airport. Something about the city regulating cabs that leave from the downtown zone only. You can also take the city bus to downtown. We tried this going to the boat as we had time. Take route 194 to the westlake station. Then you will have to walk a few blocks to get down to the pier. Only do this if you don't have a lot of luggage. On the way back to the airport, there were plenty of options as soon as you get off the boat. We actually ended up sharing a SUV with 2 other people for $10 a person. We had planned to take a cab but this was a good option.

Dress on the boat. The main dining rooms and a few of the specialty restuarants all allowed jeans at dinner. The only things the restaurants asked that you not wear were swim suits, tank tops and shorts. The dress on board was very casual. During the day, pretty much anything goes.

Things to take. If you need to charge laptops, camera batteries, etc. take a power strip with you to plug in so you can do many of those things at once. If you don't want to pay $42 per person for a soda sticker for the week, buy a few sodas during the week but take a water bottle with you that you can fill anytime with some crystal light or other drink packets for mixing. I actually asked for a plate of lemons on our last day and sat and made lemonade in my water bottle with splenda since I forgot to take any drink mix packets. Sodas run about $2 each plus auto gratuity. We bought about 3 sodas on the boat during the week and drank water and tea the rest of the time. Take some body wash unless you want to smell like minty fresh scope all week. The shower gel in our cabin was extreme mint smelling. Take some granola bars or other snacks in your luggage for excursions. We found that they really don't provide enough food to tie you over until you are back at the boat. The granola bars were a good stop gap.

The days at sea. Unless you really like bingo, take some cards, books, and other things to do during your days at sea. The movies in the theater on the boat were the same ones showing in the cabins so there was no incentive to go sit in theater to watch it. The screen is not a traditional movie screen.

Prince Rupert. I had a hard time finding info on Prince Rupert before we cruised. It is a very small town. There are only about 5 shops for souveniers and not much in them. There are lots of bald eagles right in town so if you like to watch birds, then you will be fine. There is a pub right next to the shops. They have some great draft beers. So if you don't want to do an excursion there, you now know what to expect.

Glacier viewing. If you want to be able to sit and enjoy going up the fjord and the glacier, stake out a spot early. The older people will have the entire front of the boat jammed with chairs all day and the deck was about 3-4 people deep. We found a nice spot, set up two chairs, ate lunch there, read our books, and took pictures until we got to the glacier. We had our own front row seat.

The food. We did not cruise just to eat. We cruised to see alaska. Some people on board were there solely to eat and never left the boat. The Market buffet is just average. Typical breakfast buffet, nothing special. We really liked Aqua on board just because it was smaller than versailles and more intimate for dinners. They serve the same menu but the atmosphere was different. There is a chocolate buffet one night. get there early or you will end up getting the picked over left overs from people taking 3 plates of food with them. Room service is pretty bad. We ordered breakfast one morning and choices are few. That was the only way I got a banana as I couldn't find them any other time. We did like the freestyling option so we could eat whenever we wanted instead of on a schedule.

Annoying things. Since they have a captive audience, they are always selling something: art, jewelry, etc. You learn to ignore them after a while. NCL needs to invest in some new costumes for their animals they want you to take pictures with when you are leaving the boat at port. Some of them are down right scary looking.

thanx for your impressions:)

re 3 deep on deck for glacier viewing:(, hopefully we'll be able to do some viewing from our balcony:confused:...no way am i going to camp out that long on deck

If you have the chance, book the "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer" excursion. Great excursion and you get up very close to the face of the glacier and stay there for about 45 minutes before re-boarding the Star. Also, we stopped along the way to watch a couple of whales and a bear along the shore.

If you have the chance, book the "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer" excursion. Great excursion and you get up very close to the face of the glacier and stay there for about 45 minutes before re-boarding the Star. Also, we stopped along the way to watch a couple of whales and a bear along the shore.

we were considering this;), couldn't find anybody @ NCL excursions who knew much about it other than u "...board a 'small' boat on land, get much closer to Glacier, then rejoin the ship while it's in the bay...", sounds very tempting the way u describe it

We've done this excursions and it is easily one of my top favorites of all the ones I've done over the years!

Just be sure to get to the boat EARLY if you want a "good" window seat.

Take layers of clothing, especially really warm things to go out on the deck for glacier viewing! Inside temperature varied as people opened & shut the doors to go in an out.

You get close enough to see the glacier, but binoculars would make it that much better.

Not sure if small children would enjoy it since there's nothing for them to do on the boat unless they're into scenery. Yes, there are definitely animals but way more beautiful views.

Well worth the money!

great pics:)

trying to convince the mr to spring for this;)he keeps saying 'can't we see the same thing from our balcony?"

aside from being up so close, im thinking u get to see sights (waterfalls, etc.) you wouldn't from the ship?

couldn't get a firm departure time from NCL when i called yesterday, they said somewhere between noon & 1 pm from the dock:confused: anybody remember, want to have enough time to scoot out to mendenhall 1st, maybe the tram if clear

going to dig around alaskan board

Just beware that the tracy arm is not a guarantee on your cruise. We sailed the endicott arm and cullen glacier on our trip as there was too much ice in tracy arm. Frequent cruisers were saying that fewer ships were actually sailing tracy arm now due to ice and having to turn back half way. So just know your excursion could get re-routed on the day of your excursion without you really knowing too far in advance.

Glacier viewing. If you want to be able to sit and enjoy going up the fjord and the glacier, stake out a spot early. The older people will have the entire front of the boat jammed with chairs all day and the deck was about 3-4 people deep. We found a nice spot, set up two chairs, ate lunch there, read our books, and took pictures until we got to the glacier. We had our own front row seat.

Thanks for the review. I have a question. Before sailing to the glacier, we'll be in Juneau. How were people staking out spots so early? Didn't they go ashore in Juneau? I've seen Hubbard Glacier from our AFT balcony cabin on a Celebrity ship. I'd like to see Sawyer Glacier from the front of the ship this time, but I'm short & I want to be able to see. Any suggestions?

PS: I'm looking for suggestions other than the excursion mentioned above. Although, I'm sure it's great!

Thanks very much for the hints.

It seems like if there are "3 to 4 people" deep, does it make sense to go on a smaller boat (a cruise with 1,200 people) versus one with 2,600 people? Or on a big boat, splurge for a balcony?

I am also short and would not be able to stand behind 3 people to view the scenery on deck.

Any tips would be appreciated. thanks!

we spent alot of time on the balcony..

Inside Passage on the Star..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=997875

leave a comment..OK?:)

I watched your slideshow & commented on your link. Thanks for sharing it. It's a bummer you got sick. :(

I can't believe our trip is coming up so soon. Unfortunately, we don't have a balcony cabin this time. This trip is with my sisters & one of them sleepwalks. They're afraid she'd be the next (wo)man overboard. :eek: As I noted earlier, my DH, DS, & I saw Hubbard Glacier from our AFT balcony & our CC friend's family suite with a side & AFT view. I'm looking forward to having a Forward perspective this time. I just hope I can see. :o

Archived