John Lawrence's DVD Baltics

Greetings,

We are booked on the Emerald Princess September 3, 2009 and would very much like to see John Lawrence's DVD on the Baltics in preparation for our trip. Does anyone have a copy of this DVD? We have read wonderful reviews of this DVD on CC. We have been unable to locate one locally. We are willing to pay for copying mailing etc. and would be very grateful. Thank you in advance..................Marian

Greetings,

We are booked on the Emerald Princess September 3, 2009 and would very much like to see John Lawrence's DVD on the Baltics in preparation for our trip. Does anyone have a copy of this DVD? We have read wonderful reviews of this DVD on CC. We have been unable to locate one locally. We are willing to pay for copying mailing etc. and would be very grateful. Thank you in advance..................Marian

I think we had ours within 2 weeks at the most after orderng from the web site. Very good.

Ordered the book and dvd from the website on Thursday using Paypal.

Today we received the package from Estonia. I guess Mr Lawrence is shipping those DVDs from wherever he is docked.

I recommend this DVD as well, well worth the money.

I also bought the baltic reflections dvd and was very disappointed with it. The videos weren’t even taken on our cruise although they said that they were (wrong ship in some shots) and it was very short, only a few minutes on each port. There was hardly anything of activities on the ship, so it certainly does not live up to all the hype.

Mr. Lawrence was on our Emerald Princess trip June 5. He gave a port lecture before each port and was there to answer questions. His talks were then shown on the TV for the whole evening. At the end of the cruise I bought the video as a great souvenier. The only detail that we found to be different is that he suggests local currency for each port. WE never needed local money at all, ever. We used US dollars the whole trip. I understand that we might have not gotten the best exchange rate but it sure was easier than 8 different currencies.

I have read all your comments and have ordered the book and DVD. As I have breathing problems I find it hard to travel where there are steep inclines and many steps. I am hoping this DVD will give me an insight into what I can and cannot do.

Thanks, Marie :)

I have read all your comments and have ordered the book and DVD. As I have breathing problems I find it hard to travel where there are steep inclines and many steps. I am hoping this DVD will give me an insight into what I can and cannot do.

Thanks, Marie :)

You definatly want to book a bus tour in Tallin. It is very hilly with cobblestone streets. Other ports should be fine as long as you pay attention to your transportation. Perhaps booking ship tours in all ports is your best bet.

WeBeGone: I too think the ship cruises are best for me in Europe. I find most of the old cities have lots of steep hills and cobblestones. Thanks for the advice. I see the DVD's come pretty fast. I can't wait to get mine.

Marie:)

• 2 weeks later...

I received the book( its actually two books in one) and DVD several weeks ago. The DVD is very helpful and well done. I changed several of my excursions after viewing the dvd. The book(s) are short and easy to read. My DVD arrived from Finland and took less than 5 days!!! I think the book(s) and DVD were $25 including postage...this is money well spent!!!!!

I bought the DVD with the two books. With shipping it came to $30. I don't know where the DVDs shipped from, but the package was received within a week of my order. I am happy with it. The DVD has roughly 1/2 hour segments for the following ports: Copenhagen, Helsinki, Tallinn, Oslo, Berlin, Stockholm, Gdansk, Warnemunde, and Helsingborg. St. Petersburg gets a full hour.

Basically, it's kind of a narrated slideshow. There's a lot of worthwhile information, but the DVD can be a bit tedious at times. It made me realize that I probably want to see the "church in the rock" in Helsinki. Also, I had not realized that the Holmenkollen ski jump is currently being redone. The Warnemunde section had a lot of worthwhile info for people choosing to do not do Berlin, including valuable info about Rostock, Schwerin and Lubeck. Also, the St. Petersburg segment is great, including lots of background history and some great pictures to help visualize your trip.

You cannot use the DVD just on its own, however. For example, while most of the ports include info about transportation, I can't imagine trying to use that info by itself to get around. I've already spent about $75 on various guidebooks and I'm going to use those for planning. This DVD just helps you visualize where you're going. I would also recommend it for "passive" members of your group, the people who aren't involved in the nitty gritty planning aspects.

The books are interesting summaries, you could read both in an hour. So I definitely recommend the DVD, and the books aren't a huge expense, so might as well get those too.

I too have ordered the DVD and books, they were delivered in about a week and that was during our July 4th holiday week. I am so enoying the visuals and will be comparing these to the excursion booklet from RCCL.

I will watch this DVD again to make sure what I can and cannot do.

I greatly advise this for people with disabilities as I am one of them.

Marie :)

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, we are taking the Star Princess to the Baltic in July and I have been working my way through the pages looking for help, and boy did I find it, what a wealth if info there is here, then I came across this thread and ordered the DVD, it arrived within the week and it is as fantastic as you all say, well worth the money, so I just thought that this might be helpful for all to see who are taking the Baltic adventure this year, also lots of info in the reviews of last year.

cheers Susan

I see where one can order a DVD but I didn't see any BOOKS that come with the DVD. Do you suppose he has sold out of the books and only offer the DVD? AM I MISSING SOMETHING? I love to have a book to travel carry along with me. Can anyone recommend a really good book that covers the primary cities for our tour example: Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Visby, Copenhagen, Oslo, Amsterdam.

I see where one can order a DVD but I didn't see any BOOKS that come with the DVD. Do you suppose he has sold out of the books and only offer the DVD? AM I MISSING SOMETHING? I love to have a book to travel carry along with me. Can anyone recommend a really good book that covers the primary cities for our tour example: Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Visby, Copenhagen, Oslo, Amsterdam.

When I bought the Baltics DVD a few months ago, he was out of the books. Now I see that he put the book (The Last Days of the Romanovs) on a DVD, and does not list the book.

Risk Steve's "Scandinavia" travel book does a pretty good job on the Scandinavian ports you mention.

Sorry you can't find details of the book. I am sure that if you email him he will let you know whether it is still available. Maybe they are sold out or just available on board.

The DVD is worth getting anyway, full of information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just recieved this CD in the mail today and I do have to say that it is worth getting......especially if doing the baltic cruise.....I'm going to be on the NCL Sun on 8/3/10 and can't wait now to see the sites that Mr. lawrence talks about...

A friend on a Princess Baltic cruise in '09 lent me her John Lawrence DVD. So there was no cost to watch it, but I guess that was against the rules since the warning at the beginning of the DVD includes lending as a no-no.

Waaay too dry and tedious for me, but had to laugh at some of his comments (which I'm paraphrasing) such as "but you won't have time to see _____ in the time you are in port."

We started with the Copenhagen segment and the intro about which bus from which dock had me so confused, faggedaboudit!

Archived