Should We Bring Pesos?

Sandy Sails

Would you recommend that we bring some Pesos with us on our Mexican Riviera cruise or would US$ only be ok?

I've read both so not sure. If you think we should being some Pesos, any advice on how much to bring?

Thanks as always for the great tips and advice - Sandy

However you will get a much better rate if you use pesos. The current exchange rate is 13.6/1 and most merchants still use the 10/1 rate when paying in dollars. That can mean up to 30%! So if you are buying quite a bit it can really add up. You can get pesos from ATMS and there are cambios in Cabo to exchange your money- no need to get them before you leave as your bank will not give you a good rate.

We always use Pesos when we are in Mexico.....It is their national currancy.

If we do use USD then we exchange at 10/1 so they can make some money while standing in line to exchange it. Not sure about Cabo or other port cities but many banks in PV will not exchange USD for pesos any more. :(

If we do have USD that need to be used we will buy something small at an Oxxo and have them give us change back in pesos.

I think your time at the ports are more valuable than to spend the time standing in line to exchange dollars for pesos. Your are spending a limited amount of money, and you always get stuck with an armload of pesos at the end of your trip. The less pesos you have the better.

I work for a bank so can probably get a pretty good exchange rate. Perhaps I'll get some before leaving as I don't want to spend port time exchanging money.

Maybe $100 USD worth? Not planning to purchase too much.

Thanks again - Sandy

You won't be wasting any port time by exchanging pesos! Plus you will save a lot of money in the end. There is a Soriana grocery store a couple of blocks away from the cruise ship dock that has an ATM machine, as well they give a good exchange rate when you buy something there. So if you buy some soda and a pack of gum, for instance and pay with a $20 US you'll get back Pesos to use. If you plan on spending more, shopping, eating, drinking, etc. There are casa de cambios (exchange booths) by the dock and there is an American Express office, next to Soriana.

There are plenty of banks and ATM machines all over. *at WalMart, Sam's and down the road a little bit at Peninsula Mall*

The exchange rate right now is 13 Pesos to the Dollar at the bank or by using your ATM card. Many businesses and taxis will only give you an exchange rate of 10 or 11 Pesos to the US Dollar, which means that if you do not pay with Pesos, you are paying 20 to 30% more for everything.

Something to think about.

Archived