Shadow, Aug 1st, Alaska

endosunshine

As mentioned, we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at The Restaurant last evening. In addition to the great dinner, we also spoke at length with the couple who was sitting next to us who are originally from the United Kingdom but have lived in Capetown, South Africa for the past nine years. One of the nice things about traveling is meeting new people including those from other places around the world. On this voyage, we have been fortunate to have many fellow passengers from several different continents and countries from around the world.

Last night we set the clocks forward one hour before we went to sleep. We awoke at our normal time and began our day with another nice workout in the Fitness Center. Only one other person was working out by the time we finished so we essentially had the Fitness Center to ourselves.

Afterwards we enjoyed a nice quiet breakfast at La Terazza. There were only a few passengers have breakfast likely due to having set the clocks forward and because today is a day at sea. The wait staff and the chef are having fun with the sliced banana for me. Today the head waiter brought over the sliced banana that not only had a smiley face but with some added berries had a nose, eyes, eyebrows and ears added to it. We enjoyed a good laugh with the staff about this. Maybe they think that I am a child, or at least young at heart, which is true.

Today is our last day at sea as we make our way to our final port of call in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. We will spend a day in Victoria and then set sail to Vancouver where we will disembark the ship.

There were lots of activities held throughout the day and afternoon hours for the enjoyment of the guests.

In the morning we attended a lecture on Canada that was given by the guest lecturer. He gave a nice overview about the country. In the afternoon, the destination lecturer talked about Victoria, British Columbia.

At Noon was the Galley Lunch. The only other time we have experienced this was on our voyages with Seabourn. The Galley lunch took place at the Restaurant. We entered the Restaurant and could either be seated or we could go directly into the Galley for a buffet lunch. Throughout the galley there was an array of food items to choose from and a very extensive dessert table was set up in the Restaurant. We each created our own seafood salad entrée. Those passengers who did not want the Galley lunch could go to the La Terrazza Restaurant where they could order enjoy lunch or they could eat lunch by the Pool and of course there was also room service.

In the afternoon we attended our final session with the art expert on board the ship where he presented pictures that he has taken in Alaska. We also spoke with him for awhile before his presentation. We have enjoyed each and every one of his talks and he has added to our appreciation of art.

We also received information concerning disembarkation, which is Tuesday morning August 11. We made transportation arrangements through Silversea for a private car to take us from the ship over to the Vancouver Airport.

This evening was the Captain’s Farewell Party Reception held before dinner. Yes, this is a reminder that our voyage will be shortly coming to an end.

Afterwards, we enjoyed a very nice dinner in the Restaurant.

Tomorrow, the ship will spend a full day in Victoria.

Keith.

As we have done each morning, we began our day in the Fitness Center. I enjoyed one final workout on the Elliptical Machine and my wife enjoyed her workout on the Treadmill.

Afterwards, we enjoyed a very nice breakfast at La Terrazza. We had two major sightings of Orca’s from the ship within about fifteen minutes of one another where we saw eight different Orca’s each time.

There was one distraction in the dining room which was the preparation involved with an inspection that will be taking place in port. At one point the senior head waiter was walking to each unoccupied table with a special light in his hand checking all of the plates, glassware and silverware and removing certain pieces. At the same time, various waiters were going through all of the silverware at the various stations and still others were turning all of the buffet plates so that they were upside down. While we think this is great, we wonder why it takes an inspection to pro-actively check these items. Since we realized that certain items were removed from unoccupied tables, it made us wonder if all of the items we were using were thoroughly clean.

Today we arrived at Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. This is the third time we have visited this lovely location. On our first two visits here we went to see The Butchart Gardens, which I highly recommend for first time visitors. The gardens and the grounds are lavish and it makes for a very special day.

When we arrived at the pier, it was very overcast, a bit windy and it was raining. We took the complimentary shuttle into town and a few minutes into our walk it stopped raining and we enjoyed a wonderful walk around this lovely town. I consider Victoria to be one of the nicest cities to visit and each time we come here we talk about coming back to spend a few days here. There was one other cruise ship in port with us, which was the Sea Princess. In total, over 250 ships will visit this port of call this year. The city was as beautiful as ever. Just like Vancouver, there are beautiful flowers hung all over the city. It has some beautiful hotels and other buildings such as the legislature building. Victoria is the Capital of British Columbia.

We arrived back to the ship in the afternoon where we enjoyed our final lunch on board the Silver Shadow. What did we have? Yes, another wonderful salad entrée that we prepared for ourselves.

We will finish packing later today so I will make this my last post of the Voyage.

I will post a review after we return detailing the ship and the voyage.

I hope that you have found this daily write up to be of some value to you.

Keith

I will post a review after we return detailing the ship and the voyage. I hope that you have found this daily write up to be of some value to you. Keith

We are planning a 15-day, July 1, 2010, Silversea cruise along the Norway Coast, seeing the fjords, up above the Arctic Circle, Bergen, etc. I happened to catch this great series of journals and updates by Keith. Very enlightening and super performance by Keith, as always!

Having done Crystal Symphony last summer in the Baltics, I will want both to read your full review, plus hear more some specific for my interests. We would be traveling on the little smaller Silver Cloud (with 292 passenger) next summer compared to your experiences now on the Silver Shadow (with 382 passengers).

Sounds like Silversea is a little larger version of the Seabourn Spirit as we did in 2006 in the Greek Isles/Turkish Coast. What other key items of comparison among the three lines are most important for food, service, interior style, staffing nationalities, mix of people traveling on the ship, etc.? Where do these three ships most match up and/or differ? Any special tips on what's best to know and consider? Look forward to hearing and reading more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Keith - thank you SO MUCH for all your posts and sharing your trip with all the other cruise critic posters/lurkers. I really enjoyed reading your posts each day. I also look forward to reading more, or seeing photos, when you have time.

Safe journey home!

Thank you for the reports. I enjoyed them a lot. When you post your review, could you please describe your cabin and any others you saw? How was the condition of the ship?

Most importantly, did you enjoy your cruise, the ship and the staff enough to book another cruise on the Shadow or on Silversea?

Hi Keith,

Ah, ha! So my plan worked! I spoke to the fitness instructor before your cruise and told her to tell you that you needed to eat French Fries! She got it a little wrong, but the intent was there!:D:D:D

We're glad you have had a good cruise, but come on back to the Crystal board--we miss you!

Safe journey home!

Ricki

Thanks Ricki, we just got home a little while ago.

So, you are the one that spoke with the fitness instructor. :D

I don't think they are used to me. The last day they had the door open for us a few minutes earlier than normal. Maybe I won them over.

Keith

Archived