VIP Boarding Question

Cruzin 1025

Don't mean to be harsh, but... As someone who has traveled solo a few times in the past, it is not that hard to sit in the "non-VIP" side of the world. If it is that big of a deal to board with her, get your keys from the VIP area and then join her in the general waiting area where she is suppose to be and board together. Surely she can check herself in. After all it isn't any harder than checking in at a hotel.

• 1 month later...

We are leaving out of NYC in September.. My husband and I in one room and next door will be my daughter (on our credit card) and my sister-in-law (her own credit card). I am VIP but no one else is...

Do you think we can go together thru VIP ? Has anyone been in this situation? I am leaning towards all of us going thru the normal lines, even though I will be VIP. I hate making waves....

You will be VIP, she will not.

I will probably get flamed for this but I am going to say it anyway.

It takes time for the representatives in VIP to go locate keys for non-VIPs. Several times when travelling from New Orleans, everyone in the VIP room had to wait for quite a bit while the reps left the area to go get keys for non-VIP's who were checking in with VIP's. How long did we wait.... long enough that the rest of my party were through regular checkin before I was through VIP.

If everyone who was eligible for VIP checkin brought in another cabin (or two, three or more) that required the representatives to leave and go to the regular checkin area to get all the keys and any other paperwork it really defeats the purpose of VIP check in.

Sorry to be so negative but once I was in a VERY full VIP lounge and watched a family with 8 cabins, 1 was VIP because one couple had a suite, create a scene because they were not allowed to all check in together through VIP. The flustered reps agreed and everyone else sat and waited and waited and waited while they were checked in.

That said, you could ask if VIP isn't too busy would they mind checking her in with you.

Just my two cents......

Not a flame..but you need to consider it works BOTH ways.

A couple of people traveling with a non-VIP..might not want to break up for being well mannered and splitting a (small) group.

In that case..for the VIP joining the 'normal' line is actually more a inconvenience to the the non-vips. Because the VIP's cards are upstairs and the normal line doesn't has the staff to deal/expedite a wild card--addition.

So, unless the party 'splits' someone at check-in will need to retrieve the cards for the non-vip. ..In the VIP lounge that procedure is expedited, they have runners for that, in the normal line..they don't and will delay the other passengers more--- buy calling a VIP runner..to bring the VIP cards down.

In the VIP lounge..they know that happens..and have runners to expidite customer service.

It works both ways...But a VIP in the normal line delays the flow more than a non-VIP in the VIP line.

I can only speak from the experience I witnessed at the Miami Port and they were one of the toughest ports on this subject.

Time after time, I saw people turned away when they requested that "a friend or relative" check in with them.

It was just an immediate no.

This is what I suggest.

Have your friend go to the regular line. While she is standing in line, you and hubby go get your Sail and Sign cards at the VIP lounge.

Once you have your cards....go stand in the regular line with her, after she gets her Sail and Sign card....you can all be seating in the general waiting area and all board together....

We are leaving out of NYC in September.. My husband and I in one room and next door will be my daughter (on our credit card) and my sister-in-law (her own credit card). I am VIP but no one else is...

Do you think we can go together thru VIP ? Has anyone been in this situation? I am leaning towards all of us going thru the normal lines, even though I will be VIP. I hate making waves....

Separate cabins, therefore separate tickets. One will say VIP, and one will not. You will most likely NOT be able to all go through VIP.

HOWEVER.....

we had one experience where we had booked two cabins; one for DW and I, and one for DD and a relative.

The relative ended up with a heart problem, and couldn't make it, so it was just going to be DD (7) in the other cabin.

Upon check in (NY), we made our way to the counter, and handed the gate agent both packets.

She looks down her nose as she slides my daughters packet back at me, telling me "You must have someone elses tickets" (never even knew what that meant).

Well, that just set me off, so I slid them back to her, asking her what line I should just send my 7 year old off to. :eek:

Absolutely loved the backpeddling act she did for us.

We are platinum members in our cabin. But will be traveling with 2 other cabins

who are not. DW was trying to figure out a way to bring her uncle and aunt

with us. As the uncle has some issues with alzheimers and large groups. We

sail next June with them.

When we traveled out of Port Canveral on the glory. The lady checking our

VIP docs. Told us if one group was VIP and using ONE CC for all rooms they

could check in with us. We will be in Miami in June 2010. Has anyone else

heard this?

Thanks

We are platinum members in our cabin. But will be traveling with 2 other cabins

who are not. DW was trying to figure out a way to bring her uncle and aunt

with us. As the uncle has some issues with alzheimers and large groups. We

sail next June with them.

When we traveled out of Port Canveral on the glory. The lady checking our

VIP docs. Told us if one group was VIP and using ONE CC for all rooms they

could check in with us. We will be in Miami in June 2010. Has anyone else

heard this?

Thanks

The problem is the room keycards for the non VIP's are NOT in the VIP's area.

You are both VIP.

But how come you only list 8 CCL cruises?

Mr Pete, I am not Platinum yet (I wish I was) I just want to be prepared see how it all works, my husband is about 5 cruises behind me. Thanks

I sailed with my parents out of Miami and they were very strict and would not let them come into VIP with us. The next year I traveled with my mom ( my husband did not come) and my 2 kids ( in 2 cabins) and they had both cabins at VIP checkin, eventhough my mom is still not Platinum. Maybe because my kids were split into 2 cabins.

I am somewhat of a rookie here, having cruised only twice. The second cruise we had a suite and therefore VIP check in (Dover, England). I have two questions:

What is a VIP lounge and why/when do you use it? When we checked in in Dover, the VIP lines were short so we went right through security, check in, and onto the ship.

How does VIP debarkation work? We did not get VIP debark in Dover. Did we just miss something? There were no special tags, and I don't recall them calling for VIP debark. We waited in line to get off the ship just like everyone else.

Do you think we can go together thru VIP ? Has anyone been in this situation? I am leaning towards all of us going thru the normal lines, even though I will be VIP. I hate making waves....[quote]

The only waves you will be making is only this board.........

We have done this several times with no problem........the key is......"just ask" you have nothing to loose.........so far it has worked everytime for us.....

Good luck!

I reached platinum before my children did. The first time we went I had a cabin w/ds, my dd 18 had a cabin with a friend. (neither platinum) We all went thru VIP. No one said a word, but they were my children.

Also to the person who says they have "runners" to get non-vip cards, that is not so in San Diego or San Pedro. The actual check in person has to go find the other keys. Fortunately there was no one behind us.

My personal opinion is if you are platinum the people in your cabin need to check in with you. If you have minor children traveling with you in a different cabin they need to also.Maybe senior parents/disabled traveling with you also but thats about it. Other than that if they are not platinum they need to check in, in the regular line. It's ridiculous to see 8 cabins of non-vip's checking in, in the VIP area. I would have said something. Thats just wrong.

We were VIP last month on Freedom and family with us was not. When we got to the "split" in the line' date=' the man asked if we were all on the same credit card, because if so, we can all stay together, if not, then split up in line. A crew member in the VIP area that was there to assist the VIP guest interrupted and said "I'll take them all with me", and we all went together.[/quote']

We had a similar situation last year. We had 5 cabins booked, but I was the only Plantium member so we split up - my nephew (who was officially in my cabin) and I went to the VIP line and the rest to the regular line. In the end, because of the credit card "combinations," they pulled us all out of line and checked us all in together.

Now that I am thinking about it, I did pay for both rooms with my credit card... I am just going to explain the situation when we get to the pier and see what happens.

Susan:

When I went on the Miracle out of NY last year there wasn't any VIP area and it wasn't needed we walked right on the ship. They were very organized there.

Lyn

• 1 month later...
You will be VIP, she will not.

I will probably get flamed for this but I am going to say it anyway.

It takes time for the representatives in VIP to go locate keys for non-VIPs. Several times when travelling from New Orleans, everyone in the VIP room had to wait for quite a bit while the reps left the area to go get keys for non-VIP's who were checking in with VIP's. How long did we wait.... long enough that the rest of my party were through regular checkin before I was through VIP.

If everyone who was eligible for VIP checkin brought in another cabin (or two, three or more) that required the representatives to leave and go to the regular checkin area to get all the keys and any other paperwork it really defeats the purpose of VIP check in.

Sorry to be so negative but once I was in a VERY full VIP lounge and watched a family with 8 cabins, 1 was VIP because one couple had a suite, create a scene because they were not allowed to all check in together through VIP. The flustered reps agreed and everyone else sat and waited and waited and waited while they were checked in.

That said, you could ask if VIP isn't too busy would they mind checking her in with you.

Just my two cents......

i couldn't agree more. You pay or earn plat or vip status

Archived