VIP Boarding Question

Cruzin 1025

We've got a kind of odd situation. My DH and I are Platinum and therefore qualify for priority boarding, but we're traveling with another friend who is not. She is traveling by herself in a single room. I know that she technically does not qualify for VIP and should not board with us. I've read on here suggestion for the Platinum members to wait in the general line, but when we've checked in since becoming Platinum, they've always had our keys at the VIP desk. In fact, when we checked in at San Pedro in March we told the greeter we were Platinum and she just sent us to a short general line and they ended up having to send us to the VIP room because they couldn't get our keys for us.

So...is there a way to somehow get our friend's key put in the VIP section or ours in the general section? Or do we just have to split up and have her wait by herself? If it was another couple I wouldn't care as much, just concerned since she's by herself. And I'm probably more worried about it than she is, but I'm just an obsessive planner. ;)

We're leaving out of Miami on the Destiny if that helps at all.

We've got a kind of odd situation. My DH and I are Platinum and therefore qualify for priority boarding, but we're traveling with another friend who is not. She is traveling by herself in a single room. I know that she technically does not qualify for VIP and should not board with us. I've read on here suggestion for the Platinum members to wait in the general line, but when we've checked in since becoming Platinum, they've always had our keys at the VIP desk. In fact, when we checked in at San Pedro in March we told the greeter we were Platinum and she just sent us to a short general line and they ended up having to send us to the VIP room because they couldn't get our keys for us.

So...is there a way to somehow get our friend's key put in the VIP section or ours in the general section? Or do we just have to split up and have her wait by herself? If it was another couple I wouldn't care as much, just concerned since she's by herself. And I'm probably more worried about it than she is, but I'm just an obsessive planner. ;)

I don't know of any way to get either key to either place. The best and easiest think for everyone would be to split up. If you get there early there usually isn't any line to speak of anyway. Perhaps after she gets her key she could meet you where the VIPs wait, or you could go to where she is waiting and board together.

By the way when are you going? We are on the destiny on 6/25

Yeah...that's what I was afraid of. And depending on which terminal at POM we're in, the VIP lounge size varies extremely. When we did the Imagination (first Platinum cruise) they had a great lounge and our friend was able to check in with us (we booked her last minute into our cabin as a triple). On the Victory last year the lounge didn't even have room for the actual VIPs to sit. Didn't help that we got there early but the ship wasn't there yet (came in empty since it was a repo cruise) and it took them forever to get the wireless connected to the ship so they could get the cards activated. We sat and watched them try to set up the antennas to talk to each other...very interesting.

We're on the Destiny in October. Doing a 4/5 day B2B and CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I don't think it's a problem for them to get your friend's key. If it was another group of keys they needed to get, that's a bit much to ask of the VIP desk (someone did this when we checked in 5/16 in NYC--they had to get a bunch of keys and really held up the VIP line). But when we had VIP check in (4 of us did) in Miami, we took our single friend with us and they were happy to go get her key from the general area. I don't think there's a way for her key to be there ahead of time.

-L

Is your friend not old enough or does this friend have some sort of disability that does not allow them to check in by themselves?

I'll be in Miami next week to board the Valor. My wife and I have a suite, therefore we are entitled to VIP check in.

My daughter and her husband are going with us and are not entitled to VIP check in.

We're doing our check in and they are doing theirs. No problem. We meet on the Lido deck. They are big boys and girls. If they wanted VIP check in, they would get a suite.

No physical reason why she can't go by herself, just thought she'd be more comfortable with us all being together. I don't mind getting in the regular line if needed so we can all be together.

I would just ask when you arrive if it is ok for her to board with you.....we have done this a few times and it was ok....but not at that terminal...

It certainly won't hurt to ask:)

Oh and if you want to do VIP debarkation you can grab extra VIP tags for your friends luggage;)

I would just ask when you arrive if it is ok for her to board with you.....we have done this a few times and it was ok....but not at that terminal...

It certainly won't hurt to ask:)

Oh and if you want to do VIP debarkation you can grab extra VIP tags for your friends luggage;)

Thanks. I think that's what we'll do. Just ask the greeter when we get there if she can come with us.

And yeah...I already planned on passing off a luggage tag to her when we leave. :D

We've got a kind of odd situation. She is traveling by herself in a single room. I know that she technically does not qualify for VIP and should not board with us.

Only one time has the VIP Carnival rep told our traveling companions to go & wait in the reg line(NOLA)... All other times it has been OK... They will go and get the traveling companion's room key.... They do this for disabled passengers..

I would get there early say 11:30 or so, before the VIP Lounge has a long line.

The other option is for you to check-in, and then go and sit with you friend.

I have a slightly different question. My DH and I are new platnium, we reserved 3 rooms for ourselves, kids and grandkids. Since we booked and paid for the rooms will their keys be at the VIP check-in with us? (Kids are in 20's, grandkids 5 and 7)

I have a slightly different question. My DH and I are new platnium, we reserved 3 rooms for ourselves, kids and grandkids. Since we booked and paid for the rooms will their keys be at the VIP check-in with us? (Kids are in 20's, grandkids 5 and 7)

You'll know when you print your fun pass & luggage tags. We booked for ourselves and a cabin for a neice who we are taking as a graduation gift. We all got VIP docs.

You'll know when you print your fun pass & luggage tags. We booked for ourselves and a cabin for a neice who we are taking as a graduation gift. We all got VIP docs.

We always pay for another cabin (who are not platinum) and they never received VIP tags......I should be platinum 2 times over lol!

You will be VIP, she will not.

I will probably get flamed for this but I am going to say it anyway.

It takes time for the representatives in VIP to go locate keys for non-VIPs. Several times when travelling from New Orleans, everyone in the VIP room had to wait for quite a bit while the reps left the area to go get keys for non-VIP's who were checking in with VIP's. How long did we wait.... long enough that the rest of my party were through regular checkin before I was through VIP.

If everyone who was eligible for VIP checkin brought in another cabin (or two, three or more) that required the representatives to leave and go to the regular checkin area to get all the keys and any other paperwork it really defeats the purpose of VIP check in.

Sorry to be so negative but once I was in a VERY full VIP lounge and watched a family with 8 cabins, 1 was VIP because one couple had a suite, create a scene because they were not allowed to all check in together through VIP. The flustered reps agreed and everyone else sat and waited and waited and waited while they were checked in.

That said, you could ask if VIP isn't too busy would they mind checking her in with you.

Just my two cents......

It takes time for the representatives in VIP to go locate keys for non-VIPs. Several times when travelling from New Orleans, everyone in the VIP room had to wait for quite a bit while the reps left the area to go get keys for non-VIP's who were checking in with VIP's. How long did we wait.... long enough that the rest of my party were through regular checkin before I was through VIP.

If everyone who was eligible for VIP checkin brought in another cabin (or two, three or more) that required the representatives to leave and go to the regular checkin area to get all the keys and any other paperwork it really defeats the purpose of VIP check in.

Sorry to be so negative but once I was in a VERY full VIP lounge and watched a family with 8 cabins, 1 was VIP because one couple had a suite, create a scene because they were not allowed to all check in together through VIP. The flustered reps agreed and everyone else sat and waited and waited and waited while they were checked in.

That said, you could ask if VIP isn't too busy would they mind checking her in with you.

Just my two cents......

No flaming from me. That's why I asked. Like I said, I don't mind waiting in the regular line if we have to, but I think we'll have the same thing. That rep will have to go to VIP to find our keys. I didn't know if maybe our PVP could note the reservation or something to ensure our keys were both in the same location to save time for everyone. And if she had a roommate, I'd just point them in their direction and we'd go ours and meet onboard. Was just wondering since she's a solo traveler.

We'll probably be at port early, so I'll just ask when we get there what they recommend.

Thanks everyone for your help!

No Problem,

We sailed on the Libery in April out of Miami. Our friends are platnium, we have sailed twice with Carnival, we just followed them, got checked in in VIP. The rep just went out in general and got our keys... Very kind !!! We expected to go to general, but they said "No Problem we can do it here"

We were VIP last month on Freedom and family with us was not. When we got to the "split" in the line, the man asked if we were all on the same credit card, because if so, we can all stay together, if not, then split up in line. A crew member in the VIP area that was there to assist the VIP guest interrupted and said "I'll take them all with me", and we all went together.

I agree.

My DH, DD and I were in a suite. We added my DD's friend after final payment. I had to move with the friend to the other stateroom. Onboard we will switch but do we all get to board together as a family? Should we all just get in the regular line. My DD will want to board with her friend and being teens, I would think they would want them to board with both of us.

My DH, DD and I were in a suite. We added my DD's friend after final payment. I had to move with the friend to the other stateroom. Onboard we will switch but do we all get to board together as a family? Should we all just get in the regular line. My DD will want to board with her friend and being teens, I would think they would want them to board with both of us.

I can only tell you how I did it.

We took our teens. DW and I had VIP, teens didn't.

I'm a firm believer that if the VIP benefits were not paid for or earned then one is not entitled to those benefits.

Therefore, DW and I checked in with the teens thru the regular line.

Hello Traveling Bob (or anyone who knows the answer)

What's the difference between regular docs and VIP docs? Do they look different or does it actually say VIP on them somewhere?

Hello Traveling Bob (or anyone who knows the answer)

What's the difference between regular docs and VIP docs? Do they look different or does it actually say VIP on them somewhere?

The Fun Pass and luggage tags will have VIP on them if applicable.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Also thanks for information about the credit card and group check-in. Heaven help us but everyone's going to be on our card so I guess we need to stay together whether it's VIP or General check-in.

Archived