Why do they suggest seeing Haleakala early in day

karen327

We will be on the POA next Feb. and want to make sure we get to do the helicoptor ride, so thought we would do that first then rent car and drive to Haleakala, but obviously won't be getting there real early. If we arrive in the afternoon, will it be too cloudy to see anything? Can we stay in the park to see sunset and leave after dark? Do you think we will find driving there a disappointment after the helecoptor ride? Any other suggestions for scenic places we could drive to after the helecoptor ride? Thought we would have a busy day on Thursday then do a beach day on Fri before our early departure.

Haleakala is suggested for earlier in the day because 1) sunrises are sublime, and 2) the typical pattern is for clouds to increase by mid-morning. The last 2 times we went to the summit after noon it was hit and miss for seeing the caldera - yeah, the hiking was mysterious with the clouds moving up and around you, but the views were only occasional.

May I ask - why are you taking a helicopter ride in Maui? Nothing terribly wrong with it, but the two "usual" islands for copter flights are the Big Island (for the volcano - awesome!) and Kauai (for the spectacular scenery.) By most accounts, Maui is a distant third in terms of what you see. Granted, it's third only in comparison to two astonishing places, but still.

In answer to one of your questions you can be there at sunset and return after dark. The park does not close, although visitor centers and the like have regular hours. The roads and vistas are open 24/7.

sceptic,

thanks for your response, and now i realize my mistake, I meant to say Koke state park and the canyon in it, not Haleakola. I think they also advise you see that early on, for the same reasons? I think I have been spending too much time researching, my brain needs a rest.

• 2 weeks later...

It is better to go early for two reasons you will miss the tour buses and the light in the canyons is better for taking pictures the angle of the sun will light up the canyon so less of it will be in shadow, making for dark pictures and you will really 'see' the canyon.

20080428Hawaii2008161.jpg

20080428Hawaii2008144.jpg

20080428Hawaii2008157.jpg

20080428Hawaii2008094.jpg

20080428Hawaii2008049.jpg

It is better to go early for two reasons you will miss the tour buses and the light in the canyons is better for taking pictures the angle of the sun will light up the canyon so less of it will be in shadow, making for dark pictures and you will really 'see' the canyon.

20080428Hawaii2008161.jpg

20080428Hawaii2008144.jpg

20080428Hawaii2008157.jpg

20080428Hawaii2008094.jpg

20080428Hawaii2008049.jpg

KYBob<

Thank you for these photos. They are beautiful. But they make me home sick and make me long to be home on Kauai with my parents. Koke'e is one of the magic spots on the Earth. Aloha!

• 4 months later...
Haleakala is suggested for earlier in the day because 1) sunrises are sublime, and 2) the typical pattern is for clouds to increase by mid-morning. The last 2 times we went to the summit after noon it was hit and miss for seeing the caldera - yeah, the hiking was mysterious with the clouds moving up and around you, but the views were only occasional.

May I ask - why are you taking a helicopter ride in Maui? Nothing terribly wrong with it, but the two "usual" islands for copter flights are the Big Island (for the volcano - awesome!) and Kauai (for the spectacular scenery.) By most accounts, Maui is a distant third in terms of what you see. Granted, it's third only in comparison to two astonishing places, but still.

In answer to one of your questions you can be there at sunset and return after dark. The park does not close, although visitor centers and the like have regular hours. The roads and vistas are open 24/7.

I completely disagree with those who say this. Of course, they are entitled to their opinions, but I bet they have based those opinions on "guessing" and haven't taken a Maui helicopter flight. We have.

We took the long Blue Hawaiian "whole island" tour in an Eco Star a few years ago. It was breath taking, spectacular, and amazing. People sometimes make comments like, "Kauai is the only island where you can only see some places by air" or "You can see all of Maui by land." Neither is correct. There are places on all the islands that cannot be accessed by land and must be seen from above--even Oahu. There are huge areas of Maui that are inaccessible except by air. It's not called the Valley Isle for nothing. And most of those valleys do not have roads or other land access. As well, Haleakala by air is gorgeous; the RTH and all the inaccessible valleys, waterfalls, and back of Haleakala are beautiful from the air; the far north, which most people do not see because the road around is challenging and slow, is yet another environment, as is the area around the south from Hana; if it's whale season, you get to see entire pods of whales from above. There is just so much about Maui that is as spectacular as Kauai or the BI from the air.

I would never question why anyone would want to take a helicopter tour on Maui, especially I'd never question it just because some people think Kauai and the BI are "better" or the "usual" choices. I'm actually sad that so many people overlook the beauty of Maui by air. Certainly, you can only see an active volcano by air on the BI and you can only see Waimea Canyon and the Na Pali coast by air on Kauai. All of that is very much worth the time, but so is Maui (in my not so humble opinion, at least on this specific issue).

As for the OP: Absolutely the later it is the more likely it is that you'll be clouded in and won't be able to really see anything. OTOH, we don't feel that sunrise is a must do; early to mid morning is excellent as well.

beachchick

I suppose I miswrote when I said it's a distant third, but only in comparison to two astonishing places. Perhaps "a close third" would be better.

I have taken all three. I would put BI first, just because I'm a lava junkie. Kauai second. Maui third. It was lovely, it was wonderful. It was also third. Heck, I'd like to see Oahu from the air also.

(Beachchick, did your Maui flight also include the Molokai sea cliffs? WOW! btw, my Maui flight was fixed-wing rather than chopper, but it was great nevertheless.)

Perhaps we shouldn't try and quantify them. They're all terrific. But based on my experiences I would still suggest Kauai for a one-only helicopter ride. (And the original poster seemed confused about several issues, such as which feature was on which island, so I did think my questions were appropo. And based on her responses, I was correct.:) )

I suppose I miswrote when I said it's a distant third, but only in comparison to two astonishing places. Perhaps "a close third" would be better.

I have taken all three. I would put BI first, just because I'm a lava junkie. Kauai second. Maui third. It was lovely, it was wonderful. It was also third. Heck, I'd like to see Oahu from the air also.

(Beachchick, did your Maui flight also include the Molokai sea cliffs? WOW! btw, my Maui flight was fixed-wing rather than chopper, but it was great nevertheless.)

Perhaps we shouldn't try and quantify them. They're all terrific. But based on my experiences I would still suggest Kauai for a one-only helicopter ride. (And the original poster seemed confused about several issues, such as which feature was on which island, so I did think my questions were appropo. And based on her responses, I was correct.:) )

I don't think so (and I'm sure I'd remember it), but we did go out to Molokini, which was really interesting by air.

I think you're right that it's a good idea not to try to "compare" the various islands by air because they are so different and each offers something wonderful.

beachchick

Archived