Brittania vs Grills

Katyany

Has anyone ventured from Brittania to the Grills (for a try), and then found it difficult to go back to Brittania?

The cabins are much nicer of course, but one misses the large Brittania dining room. Wandering on 2 and 3 Deck aft after 6:00, the "party" seems to be going on there.

However, one could certainly get used to the Grills. One you go Grill you never go back?

Has anyone ventured from Brittania to the Grills (for a try), and then found it difficult to go back to Brittania?

I don't know if I would say "difficult" (will find out in August) but if cost were no object, I would without a doubt choose the Grills.

...but one misses the large Brittania dining room.

No, this one did not.:) Lovely room, but staff can get stretched too thin.

Wandering on 2 and 3 Deck aft after 6:00, the "party" seems to be going on there.

This depends, I suppose, on one's definition of "party." Loved the immediate service and attentiveness of the Grills Lounge staff. Lively conversation to be had, if you are so inclined, or just a quiet cocktail. And Grills pax are allowed to descend :eek: if they so choose.

However, one could certainly get used to the Grills. One you go Grill you never go back?

Wish that you would speak to my bank manager and explain this logic! Our next three trips are Britannia, B. Club, and PG in that order. I fully intend to scale the hights to QG after that and never look back!:D

I admit I love the Grill Restaurants & part of this is linked to many family members having always sailed this grade in the past & telling us how great the food & service were - I am referring to the legendary QE2 here & Queens Grill. So much so I took 9 cruises/crossings on QE2 - 7 voyages were Queens Grill, one was Caronia & my final cruise as the ship was sold out was Mauretania - I can honestly say that I enjoyed everyone of those voyages all were great fun & yes I enjoyed the Mauretania & Caronia dining experiences very much but I still prefer the Grill restaurants for a more intimate dining experience & being able to dine at whatever time you like & of course ordering off menu should so wish! The same is true of QM2 on which I've only taken 2 voyages one in Britannia & one in Queens Grill with a forthcoming 3 weeks cruise in Princess Grill - you can always 'go back' to the main Restaurant - in fact I had a great lunch on my recent crossing in the Britannia with friends & loved every minute but still like my usual restaurant! you sort of get hooked after a few sailings - yes it's a lot more expensive but you only live once - what the heck!

Before anyone adds you can take more cruises by not dining in the Grills I have no wish to take more than two or three cruises each year & when with Cunard still book the Grills every time now!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

With regard to the QM2, we find the Grills are nice but not necessary - Britannia Club is by far the best value on the ship. On QV (and QE, to come), the Grills are necessary in that the Grills experience is qualitatively distinct and superior to Britannia grade - truly marvelous.

With regard to the QM2, we find the Grills are nice but not necessary - Britannia Club is by far the best value on the ship. On QV (and QE, to come), the Grills are necessary in that the Grills experience is qualitatively distinct and superior to Britannia grade - truly marvelous.

But are the Brittania Club cabins on QM2 as nice as the Grills cabins? Do you have a bath, a large balcony, twice the space, etc?

I have been in all the Grills on QE2 and in the Princess Grill on QV and have had no problems returning to the Britannia restaurant on later cruises.

Yes - you can't fault the Grills and the cabins/Staterooms that go with them but when you weigh up the costs, it all adds up.

Just been on QV in the Princess Grill and between us had cabins 5001 and 5002 which were BRILLIANT

Check out http://www.coleman-heald.co.uk/7.html for some picture and videos with more on QV - Grills coming soon.

Enjoy - you know you will.

But are the Brittania Club cabins on QM2 as nice as the Grills cabins?. Do you have a bath, a large balcony, twice the space, etc?

No to all of those. The Club cabins on deck 12 are just the same as non-Club on deck 11.

We received a free upgrade from deck 8 to Britannia Club on deck 12 last year. All I can say is I'm glad we didn't pay the extra as to my mind, it's not worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Would be most grateful if you could expand on your comment. We have not been on Cunard before and are considering a World Cruise segment 2011 on either QM2 or QE. Why is the Grill "necessary" on QV/QE but not QM2? It's a big jump in cost for a long cruise, but we do enjoy good food and service so we are really trying to understand the trade-offs. We would not pay more "just" for the suite; it's not necessary for us, but perhaps the "overall experience" difference may be. Maybe Britannia on QM2 would be the value choice (vs. PG on QE)?

No to all of those. The Club cabins on deck 12 are just the same as non-Club on deck 11.

We received a free upgrade from deck 8 to Britannia Club on deck 12 last year. All I can say is I'm glad we didn't pay the extra as to my mind, it's not worth it.

Interesting to hear. I like the deck 6 sheltered balconies on the QM2, visted several deck 11/12's and felt very unstable and exposed! Preferred the partially obstructed deck 8's. Also found regular Britannia dining on QM2 excellent. Only if there were more spacious superior club cabins on a lower deck would I consider Club on QM2.

The Club cabins are the same size as the other glass-fronted cabins on decks 11 and 8. All are 248 sq ft.

The extras you get with Club cabins are:

A full bottle of sparkling wine upon embarkation

Single-seating dining in the Britannia Club

Fine linens

Pillow Concierge Menu

TERRY cloth bathrobe & slippers

We didn't find any slippers or pillow menu but we did get a plate of 6 strawberries. :)

Here is why I believe the Grills class to be "necessary" on QV and, I trust, QE, but not on QM2:

The Grills lounge on the QV is a magical place - by its size and shape, decor lighting and service fostering a conviviality which is unmatched elsewhere.

The Grills Upper Grills Terrace and Courtyard (al fresco dining) on QV are spacious, luxurious, and enjoy excellent service. On QM2, the mean outdoor space aft might as easily be a crew deck were it not marked otherwise.

The Grills restaurants on QV offer magnificent unobstructed sea views from floor to ceiling windows cantelievered over the superstructure while, on QM2, the Grills restaurants' views vary between decent and unfortunate.

In all, you experience a very different and superior ship in the Grills class on QV while you do not experience the same distinction on QM2.

Happy sailing!

Britannia (QM2) is a good product.

Britannia Club (QM2) is an excellent product that has the advantage of single seating - which is great. It is, as someone has already said, the best value on the ship.

Having never been anything other than Queens' Grill on QE2, I do not find it a hardship being in Britannia - and I love the high cabins. I'm looking forward to trying an in-hull on a TA, but was foiled on my last attempt with an upgrade from B4 to A2.....

I have yet to experience the Grills on the new ships.

So in the view of the experts which dining experience on QM2 or QV most closely matches Caronia on QE2? I always thought Caronia was the perfect compromise - dining when you wanted - no rush - attentive staff - and yes, you could order off menu (they just didn't publicise it).

I always felt the grill class people were just a bit posh - and dare I say it, sometimes a bit up themselves for the likes of me.

So where is the new Caronia?:confused:

I beg pardon, but this conversation seems a bit like something overheard in The House of Mirth -- is it better to be slightly snobby or ordinary? Better to be rich or slightly rich, as opposed to working class?

Honestly, a sincere discussion of the perks of the Grills would be tolerable, but a discussion as to whether or not someone could EVER slum again once they have reached the pinnacle of society makes me utterly sick. To mention that one has done a certain number of Transatlantic Crossings is commendable, but to mention (in fact, brag) that one has done it so many times in the Grills and so many times in Britannia is snobbery. True Cunarders do not discuss their cabin accomodations, but respect all fellow travellers as equals. It is completely inappropriate to brag about one's accomodations in such a public manner.

Perhaps I should start a posting about the pros and cons of dressing myself or having my valet do it would suit this conversation.

I always felt the grill class people were just a bit posh - and dare I say it, sometimes a bit up themselves for the likes of me.

You may be right about some of them. However, there are many different reasons for wanting the Grill level. For some, it is about status and finery. For others, it could simply be the ability to dine when they like and are willing to pay for the privilege.

Our particular situation is about noise levels. As smokers, for many years we always had our meals in a very small section of the dining room on many ships. When smoking was discontinued and we found ourselves in a massive dining environment I actually freaked out to a degree. It was way to noisy. Although on the QM2 it is the most beautiful dining venue of any we have ever seen, we found it way to noisy. On our second voyage we chose the Club dining and found it much more relaxing and enjoyable. On our third and fourth we were in PG. Our most recent was QG (an upgrade).

Anyway, for some, it is about priorities. We cannot afford the Grill accommodations. Not by any stretch of the imagination. We are working class people. However, our vacations are extremely valuable to us. It is important and precious time. Therefore, we bite the bullet and make sacrifices to have what is comfortable for us, i.e. a more quiet dining experience. So, please don't think it is all about snobbery. It is not.

Jeanne

I beg pardon, but this conversation seems a bit like something overheard in The House of Mirth -- is it better to be slightly snobby or ordinary? Better to be rich or slightly rich, as opposed to working class?

Honestly, a sincere discussion of the perks of the Grills would be tolerable, but a discussion as to whether or not someone could EVER slum again once they have reached the pinnacle of society makes me utterly sick. To mention that one has done a certain number of Transatlantic Crossings is commendable, but to mention (in fact, brag) that one has done it so many times in the Grills and so many times in Britannia is snobbery. True Cunarders do not discuss their cabin accomodations, but respect all fellow travellers as equals. It is completely inappropriate to brag about one's accomodations in such a public manner.

Perhaps I should start a posting about the pros and cons of dressing myself or having my valet do it would suit this conversation.

Please don't........, I'm sure we don't need to know which way you "dress".... As for your Valet performing that task......:eek:

BTW, "True Cunarders"????

Who are these mythical creatures??

We have had the good fortune to dine in all grades of restaurant on both the QM2 and QV and found the tone in none of them to be stiff or snobbish. In fact, in the Queens Grills especially the sophisticated staff and passengers share in the relaxed, convivial, tastefully-celebratory atmosphere. There are some real characters in the Queens Grill, be assured.

Regarding Wharton: a point well-taken. Yet why should we Cunard passengers not delude ourselves that we are of her time and place? We harm nobody in indulging that fantasy aboard.

:

I don't find that to be the case at all. I've traveled in Brittania and the Grills, and for the most part there seems to be a similar mix of people in both, and from all walks of life. I've met many Grills passengers who were not particularly wealthy at all, but booked this category as a special occasion.

which dining experience on QM2 or QV most closely matches Caronia on QE2?

Britannia Club on QM2 (and the new QE). There is no equivalent on QV (but that may come with a re-fit) - PG on Queen Victoria is quite a bit better than Caronia on QE2.

Anyway, for some, it is about priorities. We cannot afford the Grill accommodations. Not by any stretch of the imagination. We are working class people. However, our vacations are extremely valuable to us. It is important and precious time. Therefore, we bite the bullet and make sacrifices to have what is comfortable for us, i.e. a more quiet dining experience. So, please don't think it is all about snobbery. It is not.

Jeanne

I agree with Jeanne. We have taken several crossings on the QE2 in non-Grill dining rooms (Britannia/Tables of the World/Mauretania and the Columbia/Caronia and recently made our first QM2 crossing in a Princess Grill stateroom. This has nothing to do with snobbery. The passengers were quite friendly and I would say no better dressed than those in the Britannia Restaurant. The latter room was indeed noisy. I wanted to take some video of the room from the main level when the string quartet was playing in the upper level. I couldn't hear anything from the musicians until I went to the upper level and was almost beside them. There were many perks in PG that we appreciated, one of which is not advertised in the brochures or daily programme. On three evenings there were "exclusive classical concerts" held in the Queen's Grill Lounge.

If we want to go again on QM2 soon, it will not be in a grill room and I will not consider that we are slumming as some suggest. Will we miss the single-seating dining if we don't take the Club? Of course. But this situation has risen before. For the first 20 or so years the QE2 was operated as a First Class and Tourist Class/Transatlantic Class liner. Basic First gave us the single-sitting Columbia/Caronia restaurant and a half bottle of real Champagne (which you don't even get in PG on QM2!) But when we couldn't afford the First Class, we still enjoyed what we could afford and I have no regrets. The only aspect of the Britannia accommodation on QM2 that I will not enjoy is the lack of assigned sittings at breakfast and lunch. But even the QE2 went that way in the end.

i think this short statement, covers the subject quite nicely.

the grills are very nice, fewer diners, great service! great food and presentation. the much larger eatery, masses of diners, service is ok,

given the volume of covers. the food, quite good, considering the mass

catering. the extra cost, does make for a nicer experience.

regards, mike:)

Archived