Buck Island Tour Question

lawgirl

For those who have been to Buck Island, which tour operator would you recommend? We would prefer an "all day" tour.

Also, I beleive ships dock in Frederiksted but most of the Buck Island tours leave from Christiansted. How do we get to Christiansted - do the tour companies offer transportation for cruise passengers? We are in port from 8 am to 5 pm - is that enough time for a full-day Buck Island tour and time to get back to the ship? Thanks!!!

You'd need to check the times of the all day trips to make sure you have time to do that. I would think with a ship in port they might offer trips that work with the cruise ship schedule - but you should definately contact the operators and ask about timing.

Frederiksted to Christiansted - you'd take a taxi. Its $24 for 1 or 2 people and $11 pp for 3+, one way. If you were doing a ship excursion to Buck Island it would likely include transportation. If you are doing it on your own, then probably not.

The water around Buck Island is the open ocean, how wavy it is depends on the weather systems in the area, so hard to say. You have to wear a life vest so that helps with the swimming.

--Islander

This may not be of lots of help because ours was quite a few years ago.

We booked a tour THRU THE SHIP to Buck Island. They picked us up in Frederiksted where the ship docked. We enjoyed the fantastic sail probably more than the snorkeling. The water was rather rough ... but it was a fun day! :)

• 1 month later...

We did the ship tour to Buck island a couple of weeks ago. The boat ride was nice but the snorkling left much to be desired. The coral is basically dead. There were some fish but not alot. We did not go to Buck island. The water was pretty calm. This was not a bad tour but then not one of the best.

• 1 month later...
For those who have been to Buck Island, which tour operator would you recommend? We would prefer an "all day" tour.

Also, I beleive ships dock in Frederiksted but most of the Buck Island tours leave from Christiansted. How do we get to Christiansted - do the tour companies offer transportation for cruise passengers? We are in port from 8 am to 5 pm - is that enough time for a full-day Buck Island tour and time to get back to the ship? Thanks!!!

Hi Lawgirl:

I, too, am looking at St. Croix snorkel tours. check out the following site:

http://www.bigbeards.com/index.htm $68 for a half day trip to Buck Island.

I understand from reading some of the other St. Croix posts that as you leave your cruise ship there are tables with taxi companies offering the 30 min. taxi trip to Christiansted. Cost is $12 pp round trip. They drop you off at a parking area and pick you back up there when you are ready to return to Frederiksted.

Looks like we may book this w/Big Beards.

Good Luck and have the time of your life......

Diane

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Lawgirl:

I, too, am looking at St. Croix snorkel tours. check out the following site:

http://www.bigbeards.com/index.htm $68 for a half day trip to Buck Island.

I understand from reading some of the other St. Croix posts that as you leave your cruise ship there are tables with taxi companies offering the 30 min. taxi trip to Christiansted. Cost is $12 pp round trip. They drop you off at a parking area and pick you back up there when you are ready to return to Frederiksted.

Looks like we may book this w/Big Beards.

Good Luck and have the time of your life......

Diane

Hi,we are also looking at buck island tours. one that got rave reviews was buck island charters aboard the Teroro with capt. heinz.Iwas interested in my fellow pennsylvanians not liking the snorkeling ,i have not been there but it is listed is one of the 10 best places to snorkel.

Archived