TA with airfare: Book together? In UK or USA? With whom?

jlrf

My father and I are planning to visit each other later this year and are thinking of taking the QM2 in one direction. He lives in the UK and I live in Montreal, so he'd fly here , we'd sail to the UK from NY and I'd fly back. I've read many of the posts here and have gathered a lot of information about cabins, dining, etc, (thank you!) but I have some specific questions that I hope someone can answer.

1. Is it better to book the airfare and crossing together?

2. Would we get a better deal through a travel agent or through Cunard?

3. Should he book for both of us in the UK, or should I book for us in the US (or Canada)?

4. Would a back-to-back cost the same as a flight and a crossing? Can one take a break between return crossings or does one have to return as soon as one arrives?

So far we're thinking of the August 23 or September 6 eastbound crossing, if this makes any difference.

Thanks a lot.

Jeanine

Let your father try a UK travel agent, you try a Canadian or US agent and compare notes. Normally, a UK booked trans Atlantic price would include air fare, although it can be priced without. Sounds a great idea to spend some time together happy cruising.

Hi Jeanine

Can only speak for booking in the UK but found that it was cheaper to book the flight with the Cunard Transatlantic cruise than booking cruise only and paying for flight separately. We did book with Travel agent but wish we had gone direct to Cunard now - the price was about the same and the travel agent doesn't respond very quickly - whereas when I've spoken to Cunard they do things immediately - but some things have to go through the Travel agent so I can't now bypass them completely now I've booked with them.

You can fly out with a break - we fly out on 7th August to Seattle as we are doing an Alaska cruise first and are then on the 23rd August Transatlantic back to the UK - had to pay a bit of a supplement with Cunard to fly to Seattle rather than New York - but it wasn't much.

If you do book the 23rd August please come and join the Roll Call :)

Nyree

1. Not always. You have to price compare.

2. Travel agent who specializes in Cunard

3. If you do cruise with air through Cunard, you cannot book through the UK and your father cannot book through North America. Your YUL gateway can only be handled through a North American agency.. and your father's air gateway through the UK

4. No, they would not cost the same. Depending upon category booked a return ta could cost much more than one-way air. In high season, air to/from my gateway Boston, is around $709 plus tax one way.

You can take a break between crossings. You can also deviate your return air... once without additional charge. Example..... you arrive in Soton on 29 Aug... you stay in the UK for 5 nights and return home on 4 Sept.

Jeanine: My son (adult) and I are on the Aug 23 crossing. We called Cunard and were directed to a TA on the West Island. I could not believe the good price we got on the airfare, couldn't come close on our own.I don't think I'm permitted to give you the name on this site but if you want it you can e-mail me at joan.pavelko@videotron.ca and I'll give it to you.

Both direct flights mtl-ny Delta london-mtl British Air

Thank you to everyone who replied, and sorry for the delay in getting back. I was away for the week unexpectedly, with spotty email.

Pisti, I'll email you now.

Jeanine

Archived