Which tour service?

cruiserfan007

I see so many services....Rome in limo,limo in Rome, driver guide service, and many others...They all seem OK and the prices are about the same. Any testimonials out there to help me make our decision. Cruising Oct. 11 on Voyager of the Seas and would like to book a 3 trip package in Italy. Thanks,

Hi Cruiserfan007-

Just got back from the May 22nd sailing on the Brilliance. We used RomeInLimo for Pisa/Florence, Rome and Pompeii/Amalfi. I cannot say enough good things! Jani and Duman were so easy to deal with in arranging the tours. Each of the driver/guides were amazing - punctual, enthusiastic, courteous, and highly informative. My partner and I have traveled all over and we’re pretty demanding, and RomeInLimo has to be the best service we’ve ever used – they were simply great! That’s my 2 cents.

Vincent

We used Fabrizio, the owner of http://www.allarounditaly.net, for 3 days last month (Naples, Rome, and Florence) and he was wonderful. He was very easy to deal with and accomodating any special requests we had along with throwing in a few neat places we would have never known to ask about. He also arranged private guides for us at the Vatican and Pompeii, both were fantastic.

We are thinking about going for another Med cruise in 2010 and will be using him again if we do.

Has anyone used or know about the company "driver guide service"? I see Rome in Limo is popular but this guy has been very responsive...Cruising Voyager of the Seas Oct 11th. Thanks, Steve

Sounds like a "Broker Service" make sure they own and operate their own vehicles and hire and control their drivers.

Will offer some piece of mind and offer costs saving by cut out the middleman.

We used a different Fabrizio, from La Dolce Vita Tours for a trip to Tivoli (outside of Rome) and tours in Sorrento and Taormina, Sicily. Fabrizio drove us to Tivoli, and provided great commentary along the way. His drivers in Sorrento and Taormina were equally skilled. I would book with his company again in a heartbeat.

We just returned from the May 22nd Brilliance Med cruise and we used Italylimousine.com.We have nothing to compare to,but we had a good experience.We used them for Florence,Rome and the Amalfi Coast Drive.All 3 were nice,professional and good and careful drivers.I think it was a good decision to use the private tours for the 2 of us.

Vikingsun....we are doing the same cruise at the end of August and I would love to organise our own tours, in particular the Almalfi Coast and Florence. Can you give me an idea of the cost per day for your trips. There are just the two of us and I see that many tours seem to cater for larger parties.

Many thanks.

Louise :)

Vikingsun....we are doing the same cruise at the end of August and I would love to organise our own tours, in particular the Almalfi Coast and Florence. Can you give me an idea of the cost per day for your trips. There are just the two of us and I see that many tours seem to cater for larger parties.

Many thanks.

Louise :)

About 500.00 euro a day 2 - 6 people

Go check out the Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas board "roll call" and look for the date...you will find people looking to share tours

Its going to be fun....Steve

Louise,Their regular price for the 2 of us was 380Euros per day,but in Naples they had a special price of 280Euros.That was for the end of May--don't know if that will be the same in August?E-mail Josephine and she will get back to you quickly.Like Steve said,there were many people on our roll call wanting to get together and share tours,but we just went on our own.

Has anyone used or know about the company "driver guide service"? I see Rome in Limo is popular but this guy has been very responsive...Cruising Voyager of the Seas Oct 11th. Thanks, Steve

We used Driver Guide Service on 5/28/09 and they were excellent. We had Ivano as our driver and his knowledge and passion for Rome made our visit very memorable. The company is family owned and operated (I believe the website says since 1880) and Ivano shared many amusing stories about his grandfather and the early days of the business in Rome. I highly recommend them and wished we had used them when we stopped in Florence.

Jackie

Just came back from the Royal Princess cruise June 1 - 13. We had read all the testimonials on CruiseCritic beforehand and settled on RomeinLimo for both Sorrento and Rome and were extremely happy with our decision. We don't know anything about the other services, but we do know that if you go with RomeinLimo you won't be disappointed - it's worth every penny.

We used Driver Guide Service on 5/28/09 and they were excellent. We had Ivano as our driver and his knowledge and passion for Rome made our visit very memorable. The company is family owned and operated (I believe the website says since 1880) and Ivano shared many amusing stories about his grandfather and the early days of the business in Rome. I highly recommend them and wished we had used them when we stopped in Florence.

Jackie

Thanks Jackie....We booked with Driver Guide Service...How did you pay the guy? Having trouble as to how to pay the guy...I don't think he will take a credit card. What did you guys do...Thanks, Steve

We used Rome Cabs - picked us up from ship in a Mercedes van, very comfortable, for our day-long tour of Rome. Our driver/guide got us to everything we wanted to see in a day and recommended an excellent restaurant for lunch. Would highly recommend them & would use them again!

We just returned from the Independence of the Seas this past Monday (June 22nd). Our ship docked in Civitavecchia, Italy. We book a tour with driverinrome for 8 adults. It was our favorite tour of the 2 week cruise!! Daniele (son of the owner of the company) met us at the pier and drove us into Rome. He is very knowledgable, funny, professional and helpful in planning your tour. I would suggest booking "skip the line" tickets for the Vatican and the Colosseum no matter who you use. It was only 4 euros more per person to book the Vatican tickets and it's worth every penny to maximize you sightseeing time and less time standing in line. Our tickets were for 9am on a Saturday (2nd busiest day for visits to the Vatican. Monday is the busiest because the museums are closed so everyone flocks to the Vatican.) and the line was not as bad as I had seen when researching. I think it was definitely better to get there first.

We also booked a private guide through driverinrome for 3 hours to take us through the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Basilica. We then went to the Colosseum, quick break for lunch (your choice as to quick or longer one), passed the Spanish steps, visited Trevi fountain, the Pantheon and we finished with a stop to get the best ice cream we had the entire trip!!

The only thing not made clear to us before the tour was that if we paid him in US dollars, they charged a conversion fee. Since we were not aware of it, he did work with us at the time of final payment. If other services say they will take US dollars, ask them if they charge you for conversion.

Also, by staying at 8 people, we were able to get closer to the sites and not have to do as much walking as the ship tours that have the huge buses that can't get close. It was perfect for us.

Enjoy no matter who you go with !

We used Driver in Rome in 2004 and will be using them again this year. They provided transportation to/from the airport, to/from Civitavecchia and local tours of Rome. They also offer tours to other parts of Italy from Rome. We were driven around in a Mercedes and our driver opened the door for my wife on every stop. On our previous trip our time in Rome was short but we were amazed at how much we were able to see without feeling rushed. We highly recommend Daniele and his company.

Hi Seatravelers,

So good to hear from someone else who has used Claudio..we are booked with him for April 26 & 27, 2010..He is taking us to 7 towns outside of Rome..Orvieto,Citvita,Viterbo the first day and Cerveteri, Bracciano,Tarquinia,Tuscania the 2nd day..Have you done any of these towns are they a good choice. We have been to Rome several times and want to go outside the city..We are finding that almost all restaurants are closed on Monday. If you have been to any of the first 3 towns do you have any recomendations for lunch, that would be reasonable and different but good. Did Claudio recommend restaurants to you? He said he will find something for us. He was so prompt in answering all of our questions and has been so nice to us, we can't wait to meet him and hopefully we will be getting him as our guide. A friend recommended him to us. We are staying in Rome for 4 days after our cruise and have the city tour and Angels & Demons tour coming with our package. We would like to do the ghost walk the first night and were wondering if anyone has done this and what they thought of it?

Hi Seatravelers,

So good to hear from someone else who has used Claudio..we are booked with him for April 26 & 27, 2010..He is taking us to 7 towns outside of Rome..Orvieto,Citvita,Viterbo the first day and Cerveteri, Bracciano,Tarquinia,Tuscania the 2nd day..Have you done any of these towns are they a good choice. We have been to Rome several times and want to go outside the city..We are finding that almost all restaurants are closed on Monday. If you have been to any of the first 3 towns do you have any recomendations for lunch, that would be reasonable and different but good. Did Claudio recommend restaurants to you? He said he will find something for us. He was so prompt in answering all of our questions and has been so nice to us, we can't wait to meet him and hopefully we will be getting him as our guide. A friend recommended him to us. We are staying in Rome for 4 days after our cruise and have the city tour and Angels & Demons tour coming with our package. We would like to do the ghost walk the first night and were wondering if anyone has done this and what they thought of it?

We went to Orvieto, Viterbo and many other towns but not those that you specifically named. If Claudio recommends them, I would not hesitate to go there. You will be driving from Rome and we were coming from Livorno - so, that may be the difference. Trust me, there are so many wonderful towns in this area there is no way to see everything. One suggestion, if at all possible, would be if you were close enough to go to Civita di Bagnoregio. It was truely special and we had lunch at a wonderful restaurant looking up the walk way to this island city in the sky - fabulous. We also had lunch at winery in Tuscany which was amazing along with wine tasting. Rome is so special and I hope you have a wonderful time. Enjoy.

just got back from Italy and Croatia on Legend of the Seas. We used Romeinlimo 4 times. They were great and would recommend them to anyone. You won't be disappointed. They all were so informative and made this cruise so special. Madmarti

We used Fabrizio, the owner of http://www.allarounditaly.net, for 3 days last month (Naples, Rome, and Florence) and he was wonderful. He was very easy to deal with and accomodating any special requests we had along with throwing in a few neat places we would have never known to ask about. He also arranged private guides for us at the Vatican and Pompeii, both were fantastic.

We are thinking about going for another Med cruise in 2010 and will be using him again if we do.

If you decide on the Celebrity Equinox Eastern Med. cruise departing 5/3/2010, please write in roll call so we can get something going. Thanks for the recommendation of allarounditaly.net. I have seen lots of good comments about that company and Romeinlimo.

Thanks, i spelled civita wrong. we are going to the monastary and may have lunch there if it is not too expensive. I think that may be the only restaurant open on mondays.

did you take a tour when you were in ravenna or split? We are going on the royal princess august 9th. we cant decide whether to do most of the ports on our own or book guides. any suggestions? thanks judy

Archived