dress on MOS dining room

We will be on RCCL MOS through the mexican riviera. There are apparantly 3 levels of dress (formal 2 nights, elegantly casual 2 nights, and casual 3 nights).

I understand what formal is, so we are good there.

Could we clarify the elegantly casual (similar term)? RCCL says sports coat for men and cocktail dresses or business type attire for women. Is that level really that dressy?

And, for casual night, RCL says absolutely no denim or shorts no matter how nice they look. I'm thinking nice designer type jeans, Tommy Bahama shirt and nice shoes. Many posts say denim ok for casual nights, but according to RCL, it's a no.

Please help me decide what to pack!

We will be on RCCL MOS through the mexican riviera. There are apparantly 3 levels of dress (formal 2 nights, elegantly casual 2 nights, and casual 3 nights).

I understand what formal is, so we are good there.

Could we clarify the elegantly casual (similar term)? RCCL says sports coat for men and cocktail dresses or business type attire for women. Is that level really that dressy?

And, for casual night, RCL says absolutely no denim or shorts no matter how nice they look. I'm thinking nice designer type jeans, Tommy Bahama shirt and nice shoes. Many posts say denim ok for casual nights, but according to RCL, it's a no.

Please help me decide what to pack!

Actually, it's two formal and five "whatever" nights. :)

Where is RC suddenly saying "no denim"?

Day 1-anything goes due to many don't get luggage in time.

No jeans other days.

No tanks, cut-offs, or shorts for men

Formal night they will get you for wearing any of the above.

I've seen many men not wear jackets on formal nights, but do wear a collared shirt. Women- no shorts.

Women can wear capris any evening.

My travel agent said absolutely no denim any night, and I called RCCL 2x (just to verify) and they said the same thing. Also, the website was the dress nights split 3 levels.

They still list those on the website, but the reality on board is that it is either Formal Night, or it's not.

And I would LOVE to know to whom you spoke at RC - nowhere in writing on the website or on the ship does it say "no denim".

People on here love to debate it. "My jeans cost more than your gown." "My jeans are gorgeous with a nice top and stiletto heels." "You're a slob in any kind of denim." "What about denim capris?" "Anything but cut-offs are ok!" "Hmph!"

But that's Cruise Critic.

Nothing at RC (except those two odd CVPS on the phone with you ;)) says that you can't wear jeans, much less "no denim".

My travel agent said no denim also.

Anyway, we will bring nice jeans in hopes of wearing them on the "other nights".

On the formal nights, my husband will be wearing a suit. Should he leave his

sports coat at home since that 2nd level doesn't really exist?

My travel agent said no denim also.

Anyway, we will bring nice jeans in hopes of wearing them on the "other nights".

On the formal nights, my husband will be wearing a suit. Should he leave his

sports coat at home since that 2nd level doesn't really exist?

In my opinion, he won't need it.

If you want to eat at Chops or Portofino one night, he could wear it there, but he wouldn't have to. The dress code there is "smart casual", and a sportscoat would fit right in. But polo shirts and chinos are common, too.

Just curious: when was your TA last on a RC cruise?

I would NOT bring denim on any night unless you plan to wear jeans for two hours in the MDR and that's it.

In these days of everyone trying to pack lightly so we don't have to check luggage, bring a light pair of pants that you can wear one or two times including during the day, vs. a pair of jeans that you may only wear in the MDR because they're WAY TOO HEAVY to wear during the day in the caribbean.

It's all about mixing and matching and wearing something more than once when trying to pack...no one's ever told me I smelled when I wore the same skirt or pair of pants on a couple of nights...or the same FORMAL DRESS for both nights!!!

I am loving that you all think jeans are ok. My husband and my boys (10,12) would love to wear their nice jeans and and collared shirts to the dining room on a night or two. This makes packing a bit easier!

I am loving that you all think jeans are ok. My husband and my boys (10,12) would love to wear their nice jeans and and collared shirts to the dining room on a night or two. This makes packing a bit easier!

I say again...why pack jeans that you can only wear at night because it's SO hot during the day, instead of bringing light cotton pants that are not as heavy and can be worn during the day as well?

My husband and kids will be wearing shorts during the days, every day. They would never wear pants during the day unless it was less than 60 degrees (I hope not). So, the pants they will be packing will be strictly for night wear. Although we have never been on a cruise, I have traveled quite a bit. Coming from a large family, I was given 1/2 a medium size suitcase for a 2 week vacation. I learned how to pack, mix and match, pack clothes with similar color schemes, along with getting by with a couple pair of shoes. I have never brought more than one suitcase on a vacation (even when I was gone more than a month) my entire life. That even includes my toiletries. I also pride myself in being well dressed. The question was not how to pack, but rather if we could wear denim.

I was simply giving you advice from someone who's been on eight Caribbean cruises and it's always been way too hot to wear jeans. Therefore I just suggested you bring cotton pants for dinner because you can re-wear them during the day. And if you're NOT going to re-wear them and you're only packing them for dinner, cotton pants will weigh much less than heavy denim pants.

If you want to bring heavy jeans vs. light cotton pants, go ahead. You certainly won't be denied entry...

I appreciate the advice. I completely understand if the question was referring to me, but the denim question was for my husband and kids. Whether they wear khakis or jeans in the DR, it won't make a difference in the suitcase. As for me, I will most likely will not be packing a pair of jeans. I agree that they are heavy, and a versatile lightweight dress would be much more practical.

I just sailed on Freedom of the Seas on May 31 and I never saw anyone turned away from the MDR and many people wore shorts, T shirts and even a baseball cap to dinner. I wore a dark suit and tie each formal night, but many people did not wear a jacket or tie or even a shirt with a collar. I even saw shorts worn on formal nights. I was glad I dressed up because for my DW and I that is part of the fun of a cruise. But there is no way anyone is going to tell me that a dress code is enforced on RCI ships even on formal nights. By the way, I ate in Chops or Portofino 3 times and one of those was a formal night. On the formal night in Chops I was one of only a few in the restaurant in a suit and tie. I think people went there on formal night so they would not have to dress in formal attire. On the other two nights in the speciality restaurants I saw no one in a jacket and many men wore Aloha shirts. So even in the speciality restaurants there is not much of a dress code.

• 1 month later...

Just back from FofS and like the above poster I too saw hundreds of shorts in the main DR every night and formal too. I complained to several DR staff members including the CD & GR and got no where. So I investigated as to why anyone would wear shorts when the Daily Compass every day said very plainly and nicely

"Please also note that bare feet,short pants and tank tops are not permitted in the venues for meals." Even for Chops and Portofino it said it again as "No short pants please". I think the problem might be,(in defense of the huge number of people who either didn't read their Daily Compass or simply did not bring long pants) RCL's fault. I read over the guide booklet sent to all passengers before they board and in the Getting Ready section under Evening Attire it never mentions "no shorts allowed in evening DRs." It only says polo shirts and trousers for men and sundress or slacks and blouses for women. Now I'm no fashion expert but I read into that that shorts are just short trousers and shorts can also be short slacks. So with no mention of "no shorts" when packing how else would one know especially if you are a first timer? So now the fault is RCL for not telling us not to wear shorts when packing before we board and then telling us no when we get there. Why not an annoucement in the DR over the intercom the first night explaining that after tonight no shorts will be allowed as per RCL dress code and we will be enforcing it so please dress properly by our guidelines.

Confusing? I think so. However with words like "not permitted" and "no,please" you would think they would enforce it. After all they go through great expense in providing alternate dining elsewhere for those that don't want to adhear to the evening dress code. They did a great job policing the baby swimmies, the 30 minute chair hog rule, the keeping kids out of the adult pool sections, the making everyone do the fire drill even though I've done it some 32 times, the arm band rule for ice skate, flowrider, rockwall so why can't they enforce a simple dress code rule they made up? Insulting their guest is not in their best interest? I say it does more insult damage then good if they let them in with shorts. The majority did follow the rules so why do a few get by? RCL does not enforce the dress code, does not care to enforce , will not enforce, could care less if they enforce it so why should I worry about it my next cruise? I can save big time suitcase space without lugging along those extra long pants just to wear a few hours for dining. For a family of 4 that would elimintate a whole suitcase. It would allow me to buy more "stuff" to take back since I would have more suitcase space.

So RCL if you are reading this do away with the "no shorts" rule since you can't enforce it. Close down the Windjammer evening buffet and make everyone eat in the main DR thereby saving huge dollars that can be passed on to me in lower cruise prices. Then I won't feel so out of place sitting beside the bare legs around me in the DR because I'll be wearing them too!

Just back from FofS and like the above poster I too saw hundreds of shorts in the main DR every night and formal too. I complained to several DR staff members including the CD & GR and got no where. So I investigated as to why anyone would wear shorts when the Daily Compass every day said very plainly and nicely

"Please also note that bare feet,short pants and tank tops are not permitted in the venues for meals." Even for Chops and Portofino it said it again as "No short pants please". I think the problem might be,(in defense of the huge number of people who either didn't read their Daily Compass or simply did not bring long pants) RCL's fault. I read over the guide booklet sent to all passengers before they board and in the Getting Ready section under Evening Attire it never mentions "no shorts allowed in evening DRs." It only says polo shirts and trousers for men and sundress or slacks and blouses for women. Now I'm no fashion expert but I read into that that shorts are just short trousers and shorts can also be short slacks. So with no mention of "no shorts" when packing how else would one know especially if you are a first timer? So now the fault is RCL for not telling us not to wear shorts when packing before we board and then telling us no when we get there. Why not an annoucement in the DR over the intercom the first night explaining that after tonight no shorts will be allowed as per RCL dress code and we will be enforcing it so please dress properly by our guidelines.

Confusing? I think so. However with words like "not permitted" and "no,please" you would think they would enforce it. After all they go through great expense in providing alternate dining elsewhere for those that don't want to adhear to the evening dress code. They did a great job policing the baby swimmies, the 30 minute chair hog rule, the keeping kids out of the adult pool sections, the making everyone do the fire drill even though I've done it some 32 times, the arm band rule for ice skate, flowrider, rockwall so why can't they enforce a simple dress code rule they made up? Insulting their guest is not in their best interest? I say it does more insult damage then good if they let them in with shorts. The majority did follow the rules so why do a few get by? RCL does not enforce the dress code, does not care to enforce , will not enforce, could care less if they enforce it so why should I worry about it my next cruise? I can save big time suitcase space without lugging along those extra long pants just to wear a few hours for dining. For a family of 4 that would elimintate a whole suitcase. It would allow me to buy more "stuff" to take back since I would have more suitcase space.

So RCL if you are reading this do away with the "no shorts" rule since you can't enforce it. Close down the Windjammer evening buffet and make everyone eat in the main DR thereby saving huge dollars that can be passed on to me in lower cruise prices. Then I won't feel so out of place sitting beside the bare legs around me in the DR because I'll be wearing them too!

Exactly! I also think that one of the MDR staff should be able to request that a person remove their ball-cap/hat if they want to dine in the MDR. I believe that because we were always taught you never, ever wore a hat at the table, that this bothers me more than someone wearing shorts. For those who say wearing a hat might be justified by some type of condition, a simple "please excuse my head covering" would do it for me. JMHO

I saw quite a few ball caps too and some turned backwards. I didn't see where they listed that in the not to wear but common sense should tell you not to. When in doubt just look around you. Those bare legged men stick out like a sore thumb as they walk into the main DR and they are talked about behind their back and many in front of their back. I knew when I saw a group of six middle aged women coming in with only swimsuit cover ups with the swim suits showing underneath that RCCL has no dress rules and enforcing any kind of dress code is a Royal Joke.

I don't see the point with denim in the tropical water hemispheres during the summer.

Just plain too hot if not foolish. & just plain out of place!

This from a denim guy too!

Give me the linen pants on casual nights in the MDR anytime!

As for shorts on casual night in the MDR - we are on a cruise in the aforementioned tropics. So i see no reason to not rock it if have them.

The more mainstream ppl will rock it fashionably appropriate too! There will always be the fringe who don't have a clue.

Baseball caps & tank tops would just make me feel like a slob in any eating environment land or sea.

& also not very courteous to fellow diners much less very gentlemanly.

Anyhow - these are just my own personal taste & they are as inconsistent as the rules on RCL & the cruisers that interpret them.

@ the end of the day, it's the Target of cruise companies so what do u expect?!;)

Archived