About New Acropolis Museum

Some last informations.. They plan give online tickets with time-zones... thats mean, when purchase the ticket from internet you must enter and the time who you will be there..

if you are not sure about time arrive DON'T booking online tickets!! buy your tickets when arrive at museum!!

Next 3 days (June 21-23) will see the museum only 2550 lucky guys (like me:D) and thats mean 250 people per time zone... when museum start working normal there isn't any limit..

the ticket for all 2009 is 1euro.. 2010 will be 5 euro but we don't know yet the policy for children, stundents, disabled etc..

Some last informations.. They plan give online tickets with time-zones... thats mean, when purchase the ticket from internet you must enter and the time who you will be there..

if you are not sure about time arrive DON'T booking online tickets!! buy your tickets when arrive at museum!!

Next 3 days (June 21-23) will see the museum only 2550 lucky guys (like me:D) and thats mean 250 people per time zone... when museum start working normal there isn't any limit..

the ticket for all 2009 is 1euro.. 2010 will be 5 euro but we don't know yet the policy for children, stundents, disabled etc..

Fafos,

Are they planning to open the museum for 7 days a week (at least for the summer)?

Currently, the museum is closed Mondays and unfortunately we will be in Athens Monday...

Thanks,

Mike

Fafos,

Are they planning to open the museum for 7 days a week (at least for the summer)?

Currently, the museum is closed Mondays and unfortunately we will be in Athens Monday...

Thanks,

Mike

as they say all Mondays be close but tommorow I know for sure...

Watch live the official opening of the new Acropolis Museum on Saturday June 20, 2009!

http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/default.php?pname=Live_broadcasting&la=2

(Start at 6:00PM GMT+3 hours)

Before some hours I've come back from new Acropolis museum..

The new museum is perfect... is modern with easy access and perfect distribution of the exhibits in the rooms.

Officials willing to help, while those who use wheelchairs or have mobility problems will not encounter any difficulty!

Access to the metro is very easy from the station Acropolis. Once you exit the station you will see the museum in front of you. The main entrance is located on Dionyssios Aeropagitou street.

When you find the gate you can see a kiosk with some gurds in there where can you ask anything you want. At the left of gate is the entrance for wheelchairs.. ask from guard open the door..

Tickets you can buy in museum (or online) and there are wheelchairs (for free), checkroom and elevators..

Museum has 4 levels:

Ground Floor:

In Ground floor exist the main entrance, the tickets offices, the checkroom, a shop with souvenirs, a cafe and a virtual theater.

First Floor:

In first floor you can see exhibits from Propylaia, Nike temple, Erechtheion, Archaic seasons and from 5th c.BC. to 5th c.AD centuries.

Second Floor:

In second floor there isn't any exhibits but there is a very nice cafe-restaurant with a terrace with view to Acropolis and Lycavitos hill.

Third Floor:

In third floor you can see the Prthenon Gallery with marbles from Parthenon in an excellent representation!

I like the physic light in rooms and the view from cafe-restaurant..

Photos allowed but without using flash!!

Mobiles allowed in public areas, you can't touch the exhibits and you can't pose in front of the exhibits.

I think this museum is a "must see" attraction!

More details in a few days when we make a website about museum..

next posts you can see some photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Fafos,

Thank you so very much for this report. We watched the news report this evening on the internet - but your photo coverage was much better - and also of practical use.

We did hear on the news that there was some disappointment over the Parthenon exhibits which are so far from home - in the British Museum in London. We hope that some solution can be found to share those wonderful exhibits with everyone who is interested in the culture of our western civilisation.

Thanks again for your very active and helpful role as an ambassador for your country on this board.

Scotswoman

Fafos,

Thank you so very much for this report. We watched the news report this evening on the internet - but your photo coverage was much better - and also of practical use.

We did hear on the news that there was some disappointment over the Parthenon exhibits which are so far from home - in the British Museum in London. We hope that some solution can be found to share those wonderful exhibits with everyone who is interested in the culture of our western civilisation.

Thanks again for your very active and helpful role as an ambassador for your country on this board.

Scotswoman

in some of my photos you can see some exhibits who are very white... these exhibits are not so white because are more clean than others... these are "fake" exhibits and the original are in the British Museum..

before some years they don't give us because we don't have appropriate museum for put the exhibits ... now looking for other excuses ..:cool:

Thank you! Thank you! Those works are so beautiful they bring tears to my eyes! I'm going to be a basket case when I actually get to see this in person in November.

I'm wondering about your comment that you cannot pose in front of the exhibits. I wouldn't be taking goofy shots but just curious that I can't take a picture of my daughter standing by a piece?

Thank you! Thank you! Those works are so beautiful they bring tears to my eyes! I'm going to be a basket case when I actually get to see this in person in November.

I'm wondering about your comment that you cannot pose in front of the exhibits. I wouldn't be taking goofy shots but just curious that I can't take a picture of my daughter standing by a piece?

of course you can take some photos your daughter ... they don't warning anywhere.. just a girl there tell me about pose but I continue without a problem from other guys:p

Fafos - Thank you for all the wonderful pictures and information. If we could only go to one museum, since we are there only for 10 hours, which museum would you recommend this new one or the National archeological Museum? I wish we had time to see both, we enjoy history and especially like the history of Greece. What is your recommendation?

Goose&Mav,

Thanks for posting the interesting article.

We´ll be visiting the museum in September, and of course we´ll be following with interest any reports of dialogue between London and Athens in this matter.

Fafos, I have looked at your photos again to see the statement made by the white "copies". That certainly highlights how much is missing!

Scotswoman

Fafos - Thank you for all the wonderful pictures and information. If we could only go to one museum, since we are there only for 10 hours, which museum would you recommend this new one or the National archeological Museum? I wish we had time to see both, we enjoy history and especially like the history of Greece. What is your recommendation?

The National museum has more exhibits and from all Greek cities.. is not so modern like Acropolis museum but the collection is bigger because Acropolis museum has only exhibits from Acropolis and areas arround Acropolis..

Scotswoman@ you can't understand how sad is for Greeks these white exhibits and how much angry we are with the British Museum. They want gine us the marbles for 3 months..

They have kidnapped our children and giving to be seen for 3 months before get back .. incredible...

Fafos,

I do indeed realize how sad it must be for you, and I hope that all parties work towards a fair solution.

I have seen those exhibits in the British Museum, and they are indeed breathtakingly beautiful. This will be my first trip to Greece, and I´m sure the new museum will make a huge impression on me. Now I´ll be very careful to look for the white exhibits...... I know now what they signify!

Scotswoman

in some of my photos you can see some exhibits who are very white... these exhibits are not so white because are more clean than others... these are "fake" exhibits and the original are in the British Museum..

before some years they don't give us because we don't have appropriate museum for put the exhibits ... now looking for other excuses ..:cool:

Fafos, thank you for mentioning about the white fake exhibits. If you did not mention it, I wouldn't have known about it. It brings sadness.

I look forward to seeing the new Acropolis museum in September.

Fafos, we are staying at the Central Hotel on 21 Apollonos st. This will be our first time in Greece. How long of a walk will it be to the top? Which would be easier, to walk to the Acropolis first or to walk to the new Acropolis Museum first?

Thanks you.

Fafos, thank you for mentioning about the white fake exhibits. If you did not mention it, I wouldn't have known about it. It brings sadness.

I look forward to seeing the new Acropolis museum in September.

Fafos, we are staying at the Central Hotel on 21 Apollonos st. This will be our first time in Greece. How long of a walk will it be to the top? Which would be easier, to walk to the Acropolis first or to walk to the new Acropolis Museum first?

Thanks you.

If you come until September's end, better go to Acropolis hill first of all because of heat...

Anyone know how often bus leaves from/to port area to Metro? Is bus # 843 the only bus we can use? Is there a Kiosk to purchase bus tickets near the port? About how much would a taxi cost to get to the Metro?

Anyone know how often bus leaves from/to port area to Metro? Is bus # 843 the only bus we can use? Is there a Kiosk to purchase bus tickets near the port? About how much would a taxi cost to get to the Metro?

Every 10-15 minutes has a bus 843

At the right when exit the port gate you will see a kiosk

Taxi cost 4-5 euros but they don't like so short routes:cool:

Archived