About New Acropolis Museum

We will be in Athens on July 14. Our ship is in port between 8 and 6. We are planning on heading to the Acropolis first and then to the museum. How much time do we need to spend in the museum? Thanks

criseshore & Scotswoman...

Athens is 8-9 miles from port... the best way (my opinion) is to go with metro (electric train for Greeks:D) from Pireaus... if you don't want walking from port to station (special July-August is very hard for children or older people because of heat) you can take bus 843 (taxi drivers are strange there, don't like short transfers:cool:)... read about this here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19358337&postcount=28

In my signature I have a link with walking maps... if you have time go to National museum at Patission street... you can go to Acropolis areas and museum after for lunch or coffe at Plaka and next with metro from Monastiraki to Victoria where is National Museum... after you go again to Victoria's station for go back to Pireaus.. July 20th Athens is empty and the transfers are very easy.. September is chaotic:p

Thank goodness for you, Fafos. The advice of someone who is a local is invaluable.

Magna

We will be in Athens on July 14. Our ship is in port between 8 and 6. We are planning on heading to the Acropolis first and then to the museum. How much time do we need to spend in the museum? Thanks

I spend 2-2.5 hours but... I take photos everything in there (over 2500 photos:p)... I drink a coffee for 40-45 minutes... I've a conversation with our culture minister about Mondays and cruisers problem for 15-20 minutes..

I think 1-1.5 hour is enough...

Fafos, would recommend seeing the musuem before or after going up to the Acropolis itself? Also, is the Platka area easier to reach from that side of the Acropolis or from the side towards Monastiraki? Thank you

Fafos, would recommend seeing the musuem before or after going up to the Acropolis itself? Also, is the Platka area easier to reach from that side of the Acropolis or from the side towards Monastiraki? Thank you

if you be in site before 8:30am better visit first museum who opening at 8:00 am (Acropolis site opening 8:30am)

about Plaka.. if you visit Acropolis and museum first of all you must take the Acropolis side (Anafiotika).. Monastiraki, Thission and Plaka is one area.. I never understand where start or where ends these sites:p

We will be in Athens on a HAL cruise on a Monday in August. Will the new Acropolis Museum be open on that day?

BTW, Fafos, in 1999 we saw your treasures in England. (I know it was 10 years ago because we had to renew our passports this year.) Afterwards, I e-mailed someone I had met online who was part of the British government. (He was getting a new position, but had been the Ambassador to Australia.) I told him that I thought the Elgin Marble should be in Greece. I am sure you will not be surprised that he disagreed.

Good luck with getting them back, and not just as a loan.

We will be in Athens on a HAL cruise on a Monday in August. Will the new Acropolis Museum be open on that day?

BTW, Fafos, in 1999 we saw your treasures in England. (I know it was 10 years ago because we had to renew our passports this year.) Afterwards, I e-mailed someone I had met online who was part of the British government. (He was getting a new position, but had been the Ambassador to Australia.) I told him that I thought the Elgin Marble should be in Greece. I am sure you will not be surprised that he disagreed.

Good luck with getting them back, and not just as a loan.

sorry.. Mondays museums are close... as our culture minister told me they look the problem with cruises... I think the cruises companies must "press" our minister for make some changes..

We don't have any problem with British people... we have problem with British museum managers.. 80-90% of British people want to give the marbles to us..

Do you visit and Nafplion with this cruise?

Fafos:

Another post said that it is difficult to find the Pureaus metro station. Is there some landmark we can use to know when to get off the bus?

yes, an iron bridge:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=37.947689,23.642255&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=37.947345,23.6429&sspn=0.002889,0.004823&ie=UTF8&t=k&z=18

when you see the bridge "ring the bell" and bus stop 10 metres from metro..

Fafos

We will be arriving in Athens by cruise ship on July 10th at 8am.We thought we would visit the Acropolis prior to the museum. We are not exactly sure what time we would arrive to visit the Acropolis Museum. Can one buy tickets at the door or are there still limited visitors per time slot on July 10th?

Fafos, thanks for all your valuable information on this board. It truly helps a lot of people. We will be there to see your beautiful country in August. Question: For this "iron Bridge", usually big ships (like Celebrity) dock at which side of the harbor? Also is it hard to find a taxi to Acropolis, since taxi drivers are on vacation in August?

flatlanders@ yes, you can buy your tickets in museum... online pre-purchase is for fast entry, without waiting at line..

sjc35@ all cruise ships dock at the same pier: Xaveriou... there are many taxis these days.. you don't have any problem...

flatlanders@ yes, you can buy your tickets in museum... online pre-purchase is for fast entry, without waiting at line..

sjc35@ all cruise ships dock at the same pier: Xaveriou... there are many taxis these days.. you don't have any problem...

We leave Canada for Europe in 2 days! If you buy the tickets to the Acropolis museum for 10-12am, can you arrive at 11:30 and stay later or can you only be in from 10-12? Are the line ups for tickets long? We will be there July 10th.

Thanks for all your info.

Shelagh

We leave Canada for Europe in 2 days! If you buy the tickets to the Acropolis museum for 10-12am, can you arrive at 11:30 and stay later or can you only be in from 10-12? Are the line ups for tickets long? We will be there July 10th.

Shelagh

There isn't any problem... we have purchase a ticket until 18:00 and we stay until close museum (20:00)... the arrive hour must be between 10-12..

Shelagh

1. As Fafos states, that is just the required arrival time.

2. I have read on sister website tripadvisor that the line ups for tickets are not long, perhaps five minutes.

Archived