Husky mushers camp Skagway?

flyfan33

Anyone had any experience with this tour (wheeled sled one, not the helicopter one... flying is not for us)? Recommended? Assume my two 8-year-olds will love it? We're booked on an early morning one... any recommendations for best time of day for this (we emailed the company, but never heard back). Anyway to book this one or similar in Skagway without going through the ship tours?

If you have a passport, you could rent a car and drive up to Carcross in the Yukon and go to Pristine Wilderness Tours (cart rides). It's about $40/pp for a 15 min. ride plus you can play with the pups. I was going to do that, but didn't get passports in time. The website is yukonhuskies dot com.

This was an ok tour option for my kids several years ago, when they were independent and $30pp. They are now totally ship contracted. I just find that now with it over $100pp, simply not a good value when the option for the above at Caribou Crossing, having the excellent scenic opportunites along with the dog carting for significantly less money with a family.

Necessary is a car rental, with the purchase of Murrays Guide, see if Avis has any availablity, IF you are not a Canadian??

I can vouch for the fun of the Caribou Crossing wheeled dogsledding. My kids were 4, 7, and 12 when we first did it (yep, we liked it so much we did it again the next year, and we're doing it this summer too!). There may or may not be puppies to play with.

The drive is awesome, and Murray's guide is so informative.

Our family of 6 just returned from an Alaskan cruise & loved the Husky musher's camp at Skagway. We are aged 10 to 70, and we all agree that this was one of the highlights of our trip. You are taken by bus about 10 miles out of Skagway, then you will transfer to a 4-wheel drive vehicle and are taken further up into the mountain. The actual ride is fairly bumpy, but even we grandparents enjoyed it. The educational lecture is also well worth the time, and playing with the puppies elated all of us. Have a great time!

Archived