MSC Fantasia Cruise May 29th-June 5th

Scarlet Pumpernickel

We're back from a wonderful cruise on MSC Fantasia. There were four of us, DH-DD and GD along with myself. We arrived in Barcelona to find our bankcards did not work! They had worked perfectly last year in Venice, so we were caught by surprise by this. We had planned to use the cards to withdraw spending money and avoid the exchange charges! So, a word of caution, contact your bank before going to Europe to make sure your cards will work!

Fortunately, we had enough Euro's left from last year to pay for the taxi from the airport to the port! Based on advice and information on the boards we decided to take a taxi and were pleased that we did! It was so much easier than last year. I told the driver we were going to MSC Fantasia and he took us right to the spot where the ship was docked. No lugging our bags across the city! No trouble trying to find the right train or bus! It worked wonderfully well.

MSC Fantasia is a beautiful ship! BIG, very big, but it wasn't hard to find your way around the ship. The main elevators in reception can be a challenge at times, and it is easier to access the 14th deck where the buffet is located by one of the other banks.

Our cabin was on the eighth deck in the aft and was a balcony room. It was rather small for four people! But we made do. The class of the room was 6, last year we had a class 7 room and I remember it being a little larger on Musica. However there were only two of us last year, so that might have made it seem larger. The room had a large kingsized bed and a sofa bed. Our cabin steward and his assistant kept the place spotlessly clean and neat the entire voyage. Not an easy task I can assure you since there were 4 of us and we tend to be messy. Every request was met with gentle efficiency. Our balcony was spacious and very much enjoyed. DH loved it! There was no problem with engine noise or vibration as someone had mentioned. We could hear/feel the sound from one of the night clubs on the first night, but that was the only a slight bass vibration. It took me a while to realize it was the beat of the music, and it wasn't a problem. We slept through it quite nicely.

The Buffet breakfast and lunch were great. The food was kept replenished and was fresh, warm or cold as was needed and always tasty. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast. GD usually was too grumpy to eat in the morning so the early lunch buffet suited her! We'd go with her and enjoy sodas and beer while she ate her late brunch.

We bought the new drink card package and found it to be a good deal. We enjoyed beer, wine, soda and water the entire trip without having to pay extra. I would invest in the package again. We only purchased 7 days, because the 8th day you leave the ship early and don't need it. So remember not to buy 8 days!

We were assigned to Cerchio D'Oro for dinner. I had worried that my DH might not like the food, but he enjoyed it greatly. Especially the grilled Salmon! He tried new and different things and found he liked the food. The GD ate from the children's menu every night and loved the pizza, spaghetti, soup and fish! This was the first cruise for both DH and GD and they thoroughly enjoyed it! Our waiter, Summerjay and his assistant were very attentive, helpful and gracious! Excellent service every night! Summerjay went way beyond what was expected of him by catering to the GD! Her slightest wish and he was off to please her. This made many points with the rest of us!

The theatre was beautiful and the shows were excellent. They were varied so that you did not feel you were watching the same show every night. Lots of talent and ability are showcased in the varied lineup of shows. GD enjoyed the shows and insisted we go everynight. DH only went once, but agreed it was a very good show.

GD and DD loved the candy/chocolate shop on deck 6. It was a great place for them to stop to chat and for the GD to pretend to be all grown up. She's 9 and this was an exciting new experience for her.

Now for the things that were not so positive: the ports. We didn't care for several of the ports. Marseille was nice, Genoa was okay, Naples we took the ships tour of Pompeii and Sorrento so the entire day was taken up. Palermo was dirty and a great disappointment. (Sanitation workers on strike so the streets were piled with trash) We loved Palma, only saw Tunis from the deck as we chose not to leave the ship. All in all, the ports are big city and not picturesque as they are on Musica's Greek Isles cruise.

The internet aboard ship was difficult to use. Could not use my laptop as I did last year. Don't know if the internet connection is different because of the new ship or they changed the way it worked, but anyway, it didn't work well. It also used up the time I purchased and I had to dispute it to get it reinstated. This was taken care of in a timely manner by the IT person the next day, so I have no complaint.

All in all it was a wonderful cruise, DH and GD enjoyed it as did DD and I! We will be cruising with MSC again in the future.

Hope this helps you to decide to sail with MSC! It's a unique experience and we really enjoyed meeting people from all the other countries.

Thanks for your great and positive review. I'm sailing on the ship on 5 July from Genoa and can't wait! I have a few questions if its OK. You haven't mentioned the pools or outdoors, was it warm enough to swim? how much was the drink-card and for how many? We have a Cat 8 on Deck 8, but I'm not sure what the category means. Was the Pompeii/Sorrento exc worthwhile and good value or would you just do 1 or the other? Any other little tips that you have will be appreciated.

Mafig - she is bigger and newer than the Orchestra. Just launched last December. She is the first in her class - designed to spend all year in Europe as she has a retractable roof over one of the pools. The Splendida which launches soon will be the same.

MSC has a great 360 tour of the Fantasia on their website - I thought she was amazing and wish I was going on my next cruise on her instea of the older smaller Sinfonia

Thanks for your great and positive review. I'm sailing on the ship on 5 July from Genoa and can't wait! I have a few questions if its OK. You haven't mentioned the pools or outdoors, was it warm enough to swim? how much was the drink-card and for how many? We have a Cat 8 on Deck 8, but I'm not sure what the category means. Was the Pompeii/Sorrento exc worthwhile and good value or would you just do 1 or the other? Any other little tips that you have will be appreciated.

Hi we are in fact on Deck 10, not 8,sorry about any confusion.

Your category 8 cabin is basically one of the price bands within outside cabins with balcony. The cheapest band is 6 and the most expensive 11. Basically the price rises as the loction moves up the decks.

There are several pools - and indoor one which will definitely be warm enough to use as it was being used late Apr/early May. a series of outside ones which should be ok and at the back of deck 15 is the Zen adults only pool area. there are also loads of hot tubs dotted along deck 15 and some on the sun lounges on the decks above.

I'm afraid you will need to wait for Scarlet Pumpernickel to answer your other questions as we di Pompeii and Sorrento on our own by train and didn't buy the drinks card but books of vouchers for other drinks promotions

The weather was nice, but it was too cool for the pool when the ship was sailing. The more southern ports the weather was warmer and the pools were used. Lots of sunbathers. Not as many children as on Musica. There is an adults area that is a nice quiet place to relax. The covered pool area is lovely. We sat there and enjoyed the morning. GD loved the pool.

About Pompeii and Sorrento--if you've been to either, then chose one and do it. We had never seen either and couldn't resist trying to see both. Time was very limited in Sorrento, we got there, walked around for about 30 minutes, took pictures then had to return to the bus and head back to the ship. Really enjoyed Pompeii, but then I'm an historian, which was one reason I couldn't bare not seeing it! The bus ride to both locations was beautiful. All in all, we enjoyed the day.

The drink package was $16 per person per day for beer, wine, soda, tea, coffee, water in the dining rooms and buffet. $8 per person per day for soda, coffee, tea and water (this is the one we bought for the GD). The price for a soda is 2,60 euro. I think the beer and wine was about 5 euro each, so, yes I'd say it was a good deal. Plus you can pay in advance and not have that cost added to the end, which was a plus for us. The package covers only draft beer, no bottled--which wasn't a problem for us because DH prefers draft. The wine was the ship's choice--either white or red. We chose the white, can't remember the name, but it was quite good! The one thing I'm still trying to figure out is whether the package should have included soda at breakfast. They told us on board it did not, but I thought it did as did my travel agent. Since both the DD and GD liked soda with breakfast we had to pay for a couple before we managed to switch them to hot tea and cocoa. If you plan on purchasing the package, I'd clarify that point and get it in writing. Also, the package is only good in the dining room/buffet during meal times, doesn't work in bars, or other places.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Scarlet

We were able to get all our things into one taxi, we waited until one came up that was a mini-van and he was able to pile all our bags into the back! LOL< kept says "not worry, it's a mini-van!" Be aware they do charge an extra fee per bag. Still with all our stuff, it was only 45 euro. We had a lot of bags. There were 4 of us and everyone had at least 3 counting carry ons! When we left the ship we took another mini-van to the hotel and then the morning we left the hotel called a taxi for us and specified a mini-van! It was easy. Also, the last one gave us a break on the bag and only charge for 6, there were 8!

Hope this helps!

Scarlet

Archived