Time in Sitka

cocos

We are planing to go our own way in Sitka, with 2 options: Raptor Center or Natural Historic Park.

Do you know which option is better?

Also, do you know the best (safe, economic way) to go there? I supose there should be a bus from downtown?

You can easily do both. Each walkable from the tender dock, IF you have no mobility limitations. Otherwise there is a loop all day shuttle bus, $10 last season, that stops are each.

If you are hiking the Sitka National Park loop trail, purchasing the cheap totem guidebook can enhance your trip. There are also ranger programs to consider.

We were in Sitka a few weeks ago and when you tender in to Sitka there are several folks offering all kinds of independent tours. We took the Indian tour for $20 ea they gave us a very nice bus tour and drive around town then went out to the National Park where we walked around and took lots of pictures of the Totem poles and played in the tidal pools along the shore. We had the option of returning with that particular bus or staying if we wanted and walking the short walk over the Rapture Center, which we did. The Rapture Center is very nice but small, it is a great place to see eagles up close and the fee $12 goes for a good cause, they explain how many birds they have to help and take in. It was explained to us by the first bus driver that when finished we could catch another one of their buses back into town from the Raptor Center just by showing our ticket which we did. The town is right at the dock and easy to walk around but to go out to the Park and Raptor Center would be a bit of a walk and it was raining off and on the day we were there so this worked out perfect and reasonable. Sitka is unique!

The first time I was in Sitka was from 8:00-1:00. I hopped off the tender running, grabbed the shuttle, stopped at the Raptor Center, continued on to the Totem Park (or vice versa) and felt I had gotten good value for my time and money! And I actually think I had time to see the Russian Orthodox church in town before going back to the ship. It's all do-able!

Since there were "raptors" in the trees about Sitka, I guess I don't know why you need to visit a center. .

Because the point of interest for some is the rehabilitation of the birds and the ease of viewing the birds right up close. Seeing the "hospital" and exhibits is very worthwhile for those with the interest.

You can have an lesiurely walk through the totem park (free) and make it to the raptor center in about 25 minutes. We rented bikes for the day ($25) from Jersey Cycles and rode to Whale Watch Point & detoured for a 1/2 hour on the Thimbeberry Lake trail on the way back.

There is a paved trail most of the way, though there are some hills to contend with--we're not super-fit and did all right. Saw eagles, sea lions, tide pool creatures, etc.

The bikes are well maintained & the shop will give you a map. We loved it, but we also had great weather, so it might not be so great if it's cold/rainy.

Archived