Has Anyone Heard About This??

spencercoop

I found this on Wikipedia. I know Wikipedia is not always correct, but I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this.

In May 2009, Carnival announced that the Holiday may not be bound for service as the Grand Holiday as early stated. The Holiday may remain in Carnival's fleet and sail from Charleston, SC on 5 - 7 day cruises to the North, with stops in New York, Boston, and Halifax in the Summer, and 5 - 7 day Caribbean cruises with stops in Bahamas and Key West during the fall and winter. Carnival also stated that they may ad up to four, 8 day Bermuda cruises as well. The move comes as Norwegian Cruise Lines ends its current sailing from Charleston, SC early in 2010 and also based on the twice a year sailing that Carnival currently offers from the SC port, have meet with a great deal of success. The ship may also see some service out of Norfolk, Va, and Wilmington, NC.

The Carnival spokesperson also stated that Charleston, SC and Wilmington, NC are both busy tourist destinations in their on right, and both cities are within a short driving distance from Myrtle Beach, SC which is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the Eastern United States, so it only makes sense to put a "Fun Ship" close by. The Port of South Carolina cruise terminal is expected to see a face lift, using the stimulus money if the deal comes through as expected.

The Holiday will undergo some much needed improvements and repairs including, plumbing and propulsion repairs, crew area improvements and repairs, some minor cabin upgrades, and the addition of a retractable covering over the aft area of the Lido deck, similar to the bigger ships in the Carnival fleet. Once the Holiday is refurbished the company plans to rename her the Carnival Holiday.

I live in the Wilmington area so this soungs great to me! I have previously cruised with NCL out of Charleston (when the Majesty went to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, and Key West) and it was so convienient. More sailings out of Wilmington or Charleston will definitely cause me to use up all of my vacation time!

I found this on Wikipedia. I know Wikipedia is not always correct, but I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this.

In May 2009, Carnival announced that the Holiday may not be bound for service as the Grand Holiday as early stated. The Holiday may remain in Carnival's fleet and sail from Charleston, SC on 5 - 7 day cruises to the North, with stops in New York, Boston, and Halifax in the Summer, and 5 - 7 day Caribbean cruises with stops in Bahamas and Key West during the fall and winter. Carnival also stated that they may ad up to four, 8 day Bermuda cruises as well. The move comes as Norwegian Cruise Lines ends its current sailing from Charleston, SC early in 2010 and also based on the twice a year sailing that Carnival currently offers from the SC port, have meet with a great deal of success. The ship may also see some service out of Norfolk, Va, and Wilmington, NC.

The Carnival spokesperson also stated that Charleston, SC and Wilmington, NC are both busy tourist destinations in their on right, and both cities are within a short driving distance from Myrtle Beach, SC which is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the Eastern United States, so it only makes sense to put a "Fun Ship" close by. The Port of South Carolina cruise terminal is expected to see a face lift, using the stimulus money if the deal comes through as expected.

The Holiday will undergo some much needed improvements and repairs including, plumbing and propulsion repairs, crew area improvements and repairs, some minor cabin upgrades, and the addition of a retractable covering over the aft area of the Lido deck, similar to the bigger ships in the Carnival fleet. Once the Holiday is refurbished the company plans to rename her the Carnival Holiday.

Probably as you have said whoever posted this in Wiki is probably wrong....

Carnival has no sailings listed for this ship after being moved out of the Carnival fleet. The one thing in my mind that has this ship moving is that she might not be able to meet the new SOLAS standards that are set for safety. It would be extremely expensive to bring her to that standard...;)

Probably as you have said whoever posted this in Wiki is probably wrong....

Carnival has no sailings listed for this ship after being moved out of the Carnival fleet. The one thing in my mind that has this ship moving is that she might not be able to meet the new SOLAS standards that are set for safety. It would be extremely expensive to bring her to that standard...;)

The Holiday isn't in any danger of not being able to comply with SOLAS. The Cele, which was reborn as the Grand Celebration for IberoCruise, needed no changes to be SOLAS compliant.

I'm sure that folks on the East Coast would love to see the Holiday stay with Carnival and reposition to the east coast but it would require the same extensive refurb that the Cele experienced... without the lively graphics applications...

grandcele.jpg

:)

Like Mach said the Holiday would have to go into an EXTENSIVE refurb so it could be brought up to modern cruise standards.

I think it would be pretty hard to add one of those retractable domes over the pools like it said in the article.

Someone just asked John Heald about Charleston 4 days ago...personally I think there is more to it than John is saying...

Here are the quotes:

Stef aka Hockey Addict Says: … I looked on Carnivals site and it seems that the Glory and the Triumph are in Charleston. Well…. the only sailings they show are…..November 2, 2009, May 24, 2010 and November 1, 2010

Why? Why aren’t there more sailings? What am I missing? Why don’t they sail there year round? Is business that bad there?

John Heald: Charleston is a great port and we would love to sail more from there but there are restrictions on where we can go and also the port facilities are rather limited for our large ships on a regular basis. The people though are as friendly as you can ever meet and don’t rule out the possibility of more Charleston voyages in the future.

Source:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/11/arnold/

Someone just asked John Heald about Charleston 4 days ago...personally I think there is more to it than John is saying...

Here are the quotes:

Stef aka Hockey Addict Says: … I looked on Carnivals site and it seems that the Glory and the Triumph are in Charleston. Well…. the only sailings they show are…..November 2, 2009, May 24, 2010 and November 1, 2010

Why? Why aren’t there more sailings? What am I missing? Why don’t they sail there year round? Is business that bad there?

John Heald: Charleston is a great port and we would love to sail more from there but there are restrictions on where we can go and also the port facilities are rather limited for our large ships on a regular basis. The people though are as friendly as you can ever meet and don’t rule out the possibility of more Charleston voyages in the future.

Source:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/11/arnold/

Some of the key words he wrote here are the facilities are limited for our large ships, so the Holiday would be a perfect ship because it is a smaller ship. Also he said there are a possibility of more Charleston voyages in the future, so I think he is hinting like he does sometimes.

If Carnival reads this post, FIX UP THE HOLIDAY AND SEND IT UP HERE. I would love to drive just three hours to port not to mention Charleston is one of the prettiest cities and also it is close to Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head. It could even pair up a cruise with a stay at Hilton Head. The possibilites are endless.

If Carnival reads this post, FIX UP THE HOLIDAY AND SEND IT UP HERE. I would love to drive just three hours to port not to mention Charleston is one of the prettiest cities and also it is close to Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head. It could even pair up a cruise with a stay at Hilton Head. The possibilites are endless.

I know for a fact that there would be 200 plus shaggers aboard her. As well as a ton of beach /variety bands that would book the crowds immediately

Charleston is beautiful in itself . As well as hotels to accommodate carnival customers. Most of us are wondering ,What are they waiting for ? :)

I know for a fact that there would be 200 plus shaggers aboard her.

:D:D

This is going to sound really funny to those not familiar with this Carolina dance...especially to folks from across the pond where "shagging" means something completely different!:p

The Holiday isn't in any danger of not being able to comply with SOLAS. The Cele, which was reborn as the Grand Celebration for IberoCruise, needed no changes to be SOLAS compliant.

I'm sure that folks on the East Coast would love to see the Holiday stay with Carnival and reposition to the east coast but it would require the same extensive refurb that the Cele experienced... without the lively graphics applications...

grandcele.jpg

:)

Whoa...for a minute I though they turned the ship inside out and put the wacky designs on display.

This is going to sound really funny to those not familiar with this Carolina dance...especially to folks from across the pond where "shagging" means something completely different!

How well I know ,I'm the guy that sells the SOS pass cards " For Fat Harold ".on main street .During the Spring Fall and Mid Winter events. :D

And I have heard it , SOOO much !

We're here for the shaggin ! :D:D

What would be even better, totally getting too wishful, is that Jacksonville would not build their new cruise terminal, and they would send their ship to Charleston with the Evolutions of Fun upgrades in January. There have been a lot of posts about moving a ship to Charleston, and I would love to see Carnival move up here. If Carnival can dock the Carnival Glory, they can dock pretty much almost any of the Carnival fleet.

What would be even better, totally getting too wishful, is that Jacksonville would not build their new cruise terminal, and they would send their ship to Charleston with the Evolutions of Fun upgrades in January. There have been a lot of posts about moving a ship to Charleston, and I would love to see Carnival move up here. If Carnival can dock the Carnival Glory, they can dock pretty much almost any of the Carnival fleet.

Well, last I read, they aren't building a new cruise terminal at Mayport and the present facility is temporary.

http://www.jacksonville.com/business/2009-03-09/story/is_fascination_gone_with_mayport_cruise_terminal

(Since the date of the article above, Carnival has opened bookings for Fascination on into April 2011. Who knows what happens after that or if the present facility can be used that long if they go ahead with the current plans to build a cargo facility at that location to open late 2011 or early 2012?)

Well, last I read, they aren't building a new cruise terminal at Mayport and the present facility is temporary.

http://www.jacksonville.com/business/2009-03-09/story/is_fascination_gone_with_mayport_cruise_terminal

(Since the date of the article above, Carnival has opened bookings for Fascination on into April 2011. Who knows what happens after that or if the present facility can be used that long if they go ahead with the current plans to build a cargo facility at that location to open late 2011 or early 2012?)

Carnival could cancel all the sailings if they wanted to before April 2011. It is not like they haven't done it before.

I live in the Wilmington area so this soungs great to me! I have previously cruised with NCL out of Charleston (when the Majesty went to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, and Key West) and it was so convienient. More sailings out of Wilmington or Charleston will definitely cause me to use up all of my vacation time!

I AGREE! I cruised NCL out of Charleston, it was nice being able to DRIVE to the port. :D I would love for Carnival to bring a ship to Charleston or even Better; Wilmington ! I already use all my vacation time, but starting nov this year i get an extra week of vacation so i will have more time and would probably use it all on a Carnival Cruise if they had a ship in Wilmington! :D but yeah Charleston is cool too! lol

-David

If the Holiday does go to Charleston, when would that be? In 2010 or 2011 or is it like 5 years from now?

That would be like heaven having one here!

If they go through with this, you are probably looking at the beginning of 2010. I think the last cruise for the Holiday is Nov. 17, but I am not sure. So after her last cruise she will go into an extensive drydock and be ready by the beginning of the year.

Have no fear. The Holiday is fully SOLAS compliant or it would not be sailing today.

The full compliance for the ships is up in 2010 I think. This is why the QE2 is now gone....;) Cunard decided to cut her loose before that time...

Many other ships are gone for this reason over the past few years. To much money to get them to the "new" standard coming up...

Soon even sadly the old Regal Empress will be gone......

:D:D

This is going to sound really funny to those not familiar with this Carolina dance...especially to folks from across the pond where "shagging" means something completely different!:p

OH....you mean there is another meaning besides the one "Austin Powers" made all too familiar? cheeky !

May this come to pass !

Charleston is one of my favorite US cities and merits this. While on the Holiday back in April the only issues I had were noises in the aft and a rough ride. Remedy those and she is a wonderful ship.

Archived