Wardrobe/cupboard space in cabin 340 - Star Clipper

FirstClassDiva

Hi everyone,

Cabin 340 Star Clipper - Athens to Venice

Wondering if anyone can tell me about the storage space for clothing in the cabin's. Because this is part of a larger trip, we will have more stuff than we would normally take. Just wondering if this cabin (340) has a fair amount of cupboard and drawer space for clothes. Also, do they have hangers or should I bring some? I know the cabins are small but am particularly interested in storage.

Thanks a lot. We are looking forward to 11 nights of being in the one place so we can unpack :-)

Diva

http://1stclassdiva.wordpress.com/

In a category 3 cabin you should have two small closets: 1 with hangers and 1 with shelves (and a safe). They only give you like 6 or 8 hangers. You will also have storage space under the bed(s), in the nightstand, and under the small divan. There is a medicine cabinet in the bathroom as well as a pullout closeline in the shower. You can also hang stuff on the bathroom door. Of course, cabins vary quite a bit on the Star Clipper depending on where your cabin is located. You can get some idea of space on the StarClippers.com site where you can get an actual 360 degree view of each cabin type along with the rest of the facilities. I've found that these views do make the cabins look somewhat bigger than they are. The best idea is to bring as little as possible. Other than meeting minimal standards (resort casual) for dress on board, you really don't need much clothing. Afterall, there is an overnight cleaning service available (no drycleaning) and no one really cares all that much about your clothing variation (or lack thereof) except you and your mate. Be boring in your dress and you'll have a lot less to drag around Europe. Some people can travel for weeks with nothing more than a carry on bag. I've never quite mastered this.

Thanks so much Roger for your reply. That was very helpful. I lived on a 50 ft yacht for 4 years so am used to cramped quarters...just as long as I can put our stuff somewhere out of the cases so they can be stowed. I was unsure if there would be hanging space but there is....wooo hooo.

I've never sailed on anything so massive so this is going to be an amazing experience. Here's to firm winds, fair seas and a full supply of vodka on board.

Regards from Diva

http://1stclassdiva.wordpress.com/

I was on the Star Clipper for 2 weeks, May 16-23, 2009. We were in a Cat 2 Cabin and had plenty of storage space. I also looked at many other cabins. All of the cabins I saw had 1 closet for long hanging clothes, 1 closet with top 1/2 for hangers and bottom 1/2 shelves and 1 closet with all shelves. Also there was a large drawer under the corner of the bed. The drawer under the settee was fill with extra blankets. The night stand had a small storage locker.

Bath. Good storage in the medicine cabinet. Also nice sink to wash items in.

Laundry prices on the Star Clipper were reasonable:

Socks & undies 50 Euro Cents

Shirts 1.5 to 3 Euros depending on style.

Slacks 3.5 Euros

We had trail or hiking pants and shirts from REI or Campmor. These are made with material that quickly dries. I could wash in sink at night and items would be dry in the morning. After washing the items, I would blot in towels to prevent "dripping" of water. Also I took some plastic hangers with clips. Also a couple of inflatable hangers. Glad I did. The bath drying line would not hold anything heavy. I was able to put the hangers on the AC vent or the TV shelf.

The ship pools is filled with ocean water and was about 65-68 F. I could have left my swim gear at home.

Be sure to take good walking shoes.

Food was good to very good. Be sure to have the breakfast fresh yogurt with Greek honey.

If you have more questions, please contact me.

MSEm

msem2 at cableone dot net

Thanks for that wonderful information MSEm. When you said that the pool had sea water I'm assuming it was quite warm then? Is that why you said you could have left your swimmers at home? Did you ever swim off the boat? I love swimming and hope to do it every chance I get when we dock.

Can you tell me about the drinks on board? I love a Caprioska which is limes, ice, a little sugar, mint and vodka. Can you purchase drinks like this on board? Do they have good red wine? Maybe I better provision at the market with limes and mint before we go on board :-))))

Can't wait til we go.

The water in the pool is pumped in to keep the pool filled. The pump runs most of the time.

The water in the Med is very cool for thoses of us from the Gulf Coast and SE USA.

The water temp of the Med is about 65 - 68 F (16 - 18 C).

We never saw anyone in the pool. Also the water in a shelted cove by the beach may be warmer.

When you are at sea, you will find the air is cool. The water keeps the air temperature cool when the ship is under sail.

There is a full bar and a good selection of wines on the Clipper ships.

The Piraeus port Terminal will probably Number 11. The habor is an inverted u shape. The terminal numbers are in numerical order.

Have a great trip.

MSEm

MSEm -- Thanks for the good info on the location of the port terminal in Piraeus. I've been wondering where the departure point would be and the harbor seemed to be rather large. We're going to be staying in Athens for a few days prior to our departure in October and wondered where to point a cab or where to get off public transit.

The Metro station is near the top of the inverted U to the right as you look at a map.

It is a long walk if you are dragging luggage during the summer heat. I would probably take a taxi (We did cost about 25 Euros for 2 with luggage from Mitropolis Square). We got caught in heavy traffic trying to get out of the Plaka area.

Make sure the taxi meter rate is set to 1 (Not 2, 3, or 4). There will be an additional charge on the meter for luggage.

If you are staying in Athens before your cruise, go by the suvinier store on Mitropolis Square to get any guide books for your ports of call in Greece. The places we, went; inluding the National Archeological Museum and Acropolis, never had any books in English.

DELOS: Skip the ship tour. Just see about taking the tender over and purchasing an entry ticket to see on your own. There was about 50 people in our group with 1 guide. It was crowded. You could not see nor hear the guide.

Have a great trip,

MSEm

msem2 at cableone dot net

MSEm -- Thank you for even more info. You saved us money and walking (wandering?) around trying to track down where they parked the Star Clipper. Our trip goes to a couple of the Greek islands and then on to Egypt, Oman, no stops in Somalia (I understand the locals will charge you a ransom!, India and on and on. This will be our longest trip ever and we're really looking forward to being at sea.

Archived