RCCL ships departing from Balt. or NY

CoolTripletMom

Triplet mom here again. Researching RCCL as well as Carnival to take my 3 year old triplets on next summer. My family is coming and they would prefer to not fly to board. We live in Philly so we would prefer a port of Baltimore, NY, or Cape Liberty NJ.

Anyone cruise from these departure port with children ages 3 or younger on RCCL or Carnival? Do their ships that boast more "younger kid" friendly even depart from these ports? On RCCL the ships that talk about the Baby Splash zone (in case my triplets are not completely potty trained by next summer when they turn 3, I'd like something like this for just in case) they don't seem to leave from these ports.

How about Carnival? Just looking for anyone cruising with little ones who left from these ports and what ships they loved/hated.

There are a few family friendly options for those ports. We just did Carnival Triumph out of NYC (don't get me started)...lol...then NCL Dawn also goes of of NYC.

RCCL Explorer goes of of Bayonne, NJ.

RCCL Grandeur and (next year) RCCL Enchantment goes out of Baltimore.

Carnival Pride goes out of Baltimore.

I am teetering back and forth. I have my extended family going together to do a cruise we can drive to. So far, I have rooms blocked on RCCL Explorer.

As far as ship, the nicest, out of that group, for me, is the RCCL Explorer.

But you're right as far as the splash zone, the ONLY one that may have a splashzone is Enchantment of the Seas. We have pictures from other CC parents dating back to 2008 showing that baby splash zone. But one person who was recently on that ship said "No" - so I don't know now. :(

All of the kids pages and kid menus are at the link in my signature. Some have some family activities that you can do together as a family (I know RCCL does)

. . .

But you're right as far as the splash zone, the ONLY one that may have a splashzone is Enchantment of the Seas. We have pictures from other CC parents dating back to 2008 showing that baby splash zone. But one person who was recently on that ship said "No" - so I don't know now. :(. . .

Enchantment doesn't currently have a waiver for a baby splash zone. Only the FOS, LOS, and IOS (and the 2 Disney ships) have CDC approval for baby water zones.

Linky: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/Forms/VariancesByTopicResultList_VesselGroup.aspx?SID=6.4.1.3.1

Enchantment doesn't currently have a waiver for a baby splash zone. Only the FOS, LOS, and IOS (and the 2 Disney ships) have CDC approval for baby water zones.

Linky: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/Forms/VariancesByTopicResultList_VesselGroup.aspx?SID=6.4.1.3.1

Thanks Smoothy! I have never seen that report before so it's really interesting. The whole controversy started back in 2008 with this thread and pictures of the Baby Splash Zone sign on Enchantment...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=685062

At the time, I emailed RCCL for confirmation and they said it didn't exist. So THEN I emailed them the pictures and they sent me a confirmation that the ship does have an area for diapered tots. The copy of the letter from RCCL to me recently resurfaced on the RCCL board.

So now, I just don't know. Did they remove it? Did they just remove the sign?

I should just ask on a roll call for people departing for Enchantment and ask for them to check that area for us again.

Thanks a bunch! :D

Hi Triplet Mom - Have fun planning your cruise. One of my good friends has triplets that just turned 4!

We've cruised out of both NY and Baltimore. No experience on RCCL but will consider it next year if they have any 7 day itineraries from Baltimore (Cruisinmama - do you know?).

Last year we went on the NCL Gem out of NYC. I don't know if NCL still has ships sailing out of NYC but it's worth looking into. The Gem was beautiful but I think we picked a busy week and it seemed a bit crowded. The buffet area is setup very well and you can get in and out easily. Service in the dining room was hit or miss. Getting into NYC was easier than I expected but it was a bit crazed getting off the ship with hoards of people trying to get to their cars. As long as there are ships sailing from Baltimore I will avoid NY in the future.

We just got back from the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. We loved the cruise and the kids enjoyed Camp tremendously (ages 3 & 5). Keep in mind that they will change diapers and help your toddler using the potty on Carnival but not RCCL. The Baltimore port was so easy. You drop your luggage right out of your car onto one of those luggage carriers, pay, park and walk a few steps into the terminal. Just as easy getting out. There was a very small kids pool by the waterslide and the young ones seemed to enjoy splashing around there. My 5 year old loved the waterslide and the "big" poools. My 3 year old is not a big water guy but spent a little time in the "baby" pool. The buffet area was not the best on the Pride - lots of lines unless it was an off time. We ate most meals in the dining room and had quick and friendly service - all the servers interacted with the kids and they loved it.

Archived