Princes (pre-)cruisetour luggage transfer question

MszKitty

My questions are prompted by this post on another thread.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1001270

icon1.gif Princess Cruise/Tours from Seattle

Hi - We're booked on the Princess Cruise/Tour that starts and ends in Seattle (they fly you to Anchorage ... land tour to McKinley Lodge and Denali Lodge ... train to Whittier ... cruise to Vancouver ... bus back to Seattle). I have a question regarding luggage for anyone that has done this tour. Does Princess take your "Meet-Me-On-Board" luggage at Seattle ... or do you have to take it on the plane to Anchorage and they take it there? That would make a difference in the number of pieces we take and how we pack.

[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1001270][/url] **************************************************

That post brings questions.

I'm doing this (pre-)cruisetour in August:

Day 1 - We fly into Seattle. Princess transfer from airport to hotel in Seattle for 1 night.

Day 2 - Princess transfer from Seattle hotel to airport and flies us from Seattle to Fairbanks. Spend the night in Fairbanks.

Day 3 - Princess motorcoach to Denali for 1 night.

Day 4&5 -Princess motorcoach to Mt McKinley for 2 nights.

Day 6 - Princess motorcoach to Talkeetna, transfer to the McKinley Express direct rail service to Anchorage(Whittier). Board the ship.

I'm confused...:confused:

When does Princess take our luggage? Does it get taken from us on day 1 in Seattle?...day 2 in Fairbanks?...day 6 when we board the train for the transfer from Mt McKinley to the ship?....or do we get our luggage delivered to us every night at each hotel?

Packing is going to be a challenge. Help! :eek:

Check the answer book section of Princess. Think it will answer your questions.

We are also flying to Fairbanks to start land tour. We can bring ONE (1) travel with me luggage and ONE (1) hand-carry tote (NO Larger than 17x14x4). The hand-carry MUST fit under seat of train. You will also have JOIN ME ONBOARD Luggage.

Space is limited on the train and buses. The hand-carry tote must fit under the seat.

The Travel With Me Bag will meet you in your room. The Join Me Onboard Bags will

meet you in your ship cabin.

I believe my Join Me Onboard Bags will go with Princess once I get to Fairbanks and the other bags go with me on the train and bus.

The cruise companies shift an incredible amount of baggage around Alaska and the Pacific North West. They have the system down to a fine art. 99.9% of the time, it works very well.

Never put critical items such as medicines in your Join me On Board bag or any bag that goes out of your sight.

I find the sight of all that baggage shifting around very interesting and watch for it by the big hotels.

Check the answer book section of Princess. Think it will answer your questions.

We are also flying to Fairbanks to start land tour. We can bring ONE (1) travel with me luggage and ONE (1) hand-carry tote (NO Larger than 17x14x4). The hand-carry MUST fit under seat of train. You will also have JOIN ME ONBOARD Luggage.

Space is limited on the train and buses. The hand-carry tote must fit under the seat.

The Travel With Me Bag will meet you in your room. The Join Me Onboard Bags will

meet you in your ship cabin.

I believe my Join Me Onboard Bags will go with Princess once I get to Fairbanks and the other bags go with me on the train and bus.

I appreciate your reply. I understand the part about Travel with Me bag (that is delivered to us at each hotel, right?) And the Join Me Onboard gets delivered to the ship. And I did read the booklet...BUT...its not clear because the tour we are taking is something new for 2009, the booklet does not answer specifically for this tour.

We are not flying directly to Fairbanks. We fly into Seattle, spend the night there, then fly to Fairbanks the next day, spend the night there, then do the rest of the land tour before getting to the ship. 4 different hotels prior to boarding the ship.

My question is whether they take the Join Me Onboard luggage at Seattle airport (day 1), or in Fairbanks airport (day 2).

Hopefully someone that has taken that itinerary will pop in with the answer.

If not, I'll just give Princess a call. (I know...I probably should have done that first, but thought I'd try here first.:))

Thanks.

My question is whether they take the Join Me Onboard luggage at Seattle airport (day 1), or in Fairbanks airport (day 2).

Thanks.

Ask yourself if you are going to pack any differently if they take your luggage on day 1 or day 2?

We had designated one of our bags to go to the ship & it stayed with us the entire time...so we had 3 large suitcases, plus our carry-ons everywhere we went. PACK LIGHT!!! We really tried, but found that doing laundry was a much better option (esp. once we got on the ship) than just how much we had overpacked.

We started in Anchorage for the land tour. We had specifically designated 1 piece of luggage to join us on board & it wound up staying with us the entire time. Regardless of all I read or the directions we followed, it stuck with us. Oops! :eek:

Princess Sapphire S/B June 6th-June 13th.

Ask yourself if you are going to pack any differently if they take your luggage on day 1 or day 2?

I believe you have a valid point! As long as I still have a "travel with me bag" that gets delivered to my hotel room each night then, you're right, it shouldn't make a difference. And the stuff I put in my "join me onboard" bag isn't going to change...as that's for the cruise only.

Thanks everyone!

Archived