Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

Oddly enough something like this happened the other day, so I am arguing toward principal. I went out to dinner at Smokey Bones and ordered a Grey Goose and soda water with a splash of cranberry, when I got the bill I was charged .50 cents for the cran. Now between the 2 of us we had 4 drinks so the total was 2 dollars for splashes of cranberry. The irony of this is I am a bartender and have never heard of charging for the mixer. I asked the server about it and she replied juice is an upcharge and offered to see if she can have it removed. I could care less about 2 bucks, nor would I punish the server for following policy. Yet I wouldn't order alcoholic drinks there again....

I am only guessing that someone has to stock the fridge. I always tell the Cabin Steward to just keep the fridge locked.

Fred

I asked our steward to empty the fridge to make room for my smuggled beer ;)

I looked at the link. I don't think I've ever noticed the fine print that states it's a restocking fee. I can tell you that it shows up on the S&S statement as an in cabin mini-bar gratuity.

That is just lame!

Oddly enough something like this happened the other day, so I am arguing toward principal. I went out to dinner at Smokey Bones and ordered a Grey Goose and soda water with a splash of cranberry, when I got the bill I was charged .50 cents for the cran. Now between the 2 of us we had 4 drinks so the total was 2 dollars for splashes of cranberry. The irony of this is I am a bartender and have never heard of charging for the mixer. I asked the server about it and she replied juice is an upcharge and offered to see if she can have it removed. I could care less about 2 bucks, nor would I punish the server for following policy. Yet I wouldn't order alcoholic drinks there again....

Upcharge for mixer:confused: Good thing you didn't order a double:rolleyes: Why would anyone want to come back there for drinks:confused::rolleyes:

I looked at the link. I don't think I've ever noticed the fine print that states it's a restocking fee. I can tell you that it shows up on the S&S statement as an in cabin mini-bar gratuity.

This is probably due to their computer being programmed for the 15% for all drinks. Since there really is no service rendered, so they can not really add gratuity, they covered themselves by calling it a re-stocking fee on the mini-bar leaflet.

Just charge it all to dan40's room. Afterall, it's only 26 CENTS. How could he complain? If he did, he would be...........

ROTFLMAO

No doubt a graduate of the Dave Letterman school of jokes. Promoting FRAUD are you now?

The PRINCIPLE here is IF you choose to partake of the mini bar and you do not know what you are doing, it is your fault.

I never use the mini bar except to store the ice bucket in it. The fridge is not cold enough to cool a beer but it extends the life of the ice quite a while, go figure!

I think charging a gratuity on bottled water is the most ridiculous.

I think drinking bottled water on a cruise is most ridiculous. Seriously have you seen details of their water purification process?

I think drinking bottled water on a cruise is most ridiculous. Seriously have you seen details of their water purification process?

If you like the taste......but the stuff that comes out of the cabin faucets is downright nasty........

If you like the taste......but the stuff that comes out of the cabin faucets is downright nasty........

True - we are not fond of what comes out of the facuet :eek:. Probably because it is not cold :o!

But I do like to let some of the ice melt in a glass. Cold and tasty ;)!!

How did they punish the steward.....he didn't remove his auto tips:confused: The steward is the one who does inventory on the mini bar.....I would think he does have a control it that.......

I agree with the others........the charge is lame.......

What do you mean the Steward has control? My point was that Carnival is the one who determined the 15% restocking fee not the Steward.

If something was charged in error then it is up to the passenger to go to guest services and get it fixed. But to not give extra or as some said earlier reduce the tips because the Steward is following Carnival's directions and charging 15% is totally unfair. Do you want the Steward to lie and not report usage? Don't you think that supervisers don't spot check to ensure that doesn't happen?

What do you mean the Steward has control? My point was that Carnival is the one who determined the 15% restocking fee not the Steward.

If something was charged in error then it is up to the passenger to go to guest services and get it fixed. But to not give extra or as some said earlier reduce the tips because the Steward is following Carnival's directions and charging 15% is totally unfair. Do you want the Steward to lie and not report usage? Don't you think that supervisers don't spot check to ensure that doesn't happen?

Never said they shouldn't charge the 15% fee. The stewards are responsible for the inventory. The stewards are the ones that put the charges thru and replaces what was purchased........ And nobody said they reduced their tips......

The poster was charged for drinks he did not drink.....he was not argueing the 15%....

What is unfair:confused:

I don't care if it's called a restocking fee or what. What gets me is that I'm already willing to purchase the $5.00 beer or a $1.95 coke, so why add a punitive charge to keep me stocked with these overpriced beverages? Do they really not want to sell more mini-bar items? Yes, to me the 15% is a punishment of sorts for actually buying the items.

It is lame.....but if you know the policy and use the items how can you cry about it after?

Actually I never knew they charged 15% gratuity/service charge until the op posted and I'm sure many don't know........I never buy from the mini bar......

Actually I never knew they charged 15% gratuity/service charge until the op posted and I'm sure many don't know........I never buy from the mini bar......

And if you were going to use from the mini-bar would you look at the prices? If you look at the list in the cabin it is clearly stated there is a restocking fee.

And if you were going to use from the mini-bar would you look at the prices? If you look at the list in the cabin it is clearly stated there is a restocking fee.

Actually the 15% charge is listed at the very bottom in fine print......unless I had my reading glasses on I can honestly say I would have missed it......

I wonder if the restocking fee were a penny instead of 15%, would that reduce the whining?

I would be willing to bet if they just put the 15% into the total price people wouldn't think it was lame ........but to list it as a stocking charge on the menu and then list it as a gratuity charge on you onboard account........well that is pretty lame:D

For some I'm sure you are correct.......for others it's lame:D

72 posts so far about 25 or 30 pennies? Less than a half cent per post.

THERE ARE NO OTHERS!!:p:rolleyes:

A mere child-woman like yourself shouldn't need reading glasses!:cool:;)

I know that the 'restock' fee for a coke is only 29 cents. However, if I have the $7.00 drink and my DH has a beer for $5.00-that comes out to $1.80 in 'bogus' restocking fees. That's not exactly pennies. Heck, I didn't know it was so labor intensive to put two drinks in the fridge. And on top of it, we're doing the pouring and mixing ourselves. It's a rip.

72 posts so far about 25 or 30 pennies? Less than a half cent per post.

THERE ARE NO OTHERS!!:p:rolleyes:

A mere child-woman like yourself shouldn't need reading glasses!;)

If you just want to call people names why even post? I don't get it:rolleyes:

Lovesublime posted something that maybe alot of people were not aware of.......I wasn't and I am Platinum with Carnival........

Now that some of us are aware maybe we think it is lame....or a rip as Lovesublime said.....we aren't suppose to post how we feel and if we do it is whining or being cheap:confused: Maybe now people will think twice about purchasing items from the mini bar.....

Good grief:rolleyes:

Archived