Live from Queen Mary 2 on June 13 2009 btb

capnpugwash

Live from Queen Mary 2.

As we turned the corner from Gate 4 at Southampton Docks, there in front of us was the greatest liner in the world and we were blessed with the full bow on vista where you can see the full length of the vessel in all of its' glory. Awesome.

We drew into the “bus shelter” that is Pier 46 and the newest terminal which has been built opposite the old Ocean Terminal, for you trivia fans. Boarding was absolutely painless as a frequent floater although there were around 200 or so, less fortunate people waiting in a seated holding area who were being called forward 50 at a time to be processed. This at least stops the disneyworldesque snaking queue and affords a degree of comfort.

We were on and in our cabin by 12.30, so we had an early salad in Kings Court. That is all I seem to eat there, not through iron willed discipline as I would like you to think but sadly because that is all I can ever find. Memo to self, explore the Kings Court to find exactly what it offers.

The ship is perfect, left on time and pretty soon we were dropping the pilot at Nab Tower. The sea is so well behaved with perhaps 12 hours of 10 foot swells and otherwise it has been like glass for the last 3 days. I know that one should be careful what one wishes for but it would be nice to see a little more wave action. We have had fog and some rain with some strong winds, pretty standard North Atlantic weather really.

There are a number of staff dotted around with whom I have sailed before and it is always a great pleasure for me when I bump into them.

Ray Rouse is back on board and we had a brief chat, he tells me that his wifes' health has improved as she recovers from her operation. We have had the welcome aboard reception and the Queens Room seemed very full so I wonder whether the ship is full or there are more first timers who attend these events. Cunard will always say the ship is full so there is little point in asking the Purser.

Today there is the Senior Officers Cocktail Party this morning at 11.30am, crikey it is like being back at work in the City. I have almost made the decision not to attend as it is a really bad start to the day and I do want to get to the Gym. I know where it is now and the hardest thing is to actually make the effort to walk through the doorway.

We have 500 passengers who are on board for the back to back crossing so I don't feel quite so unusual as it isn't only me who loves the sea-days of the crossing.

Off for breakfast shortly in the Britannia, I had haddock yesterday and it turned up as a fishy rectangle, tasting of fish but not looking at all like a fish, most strange really.

Ahoy Cap'n! looks like you will be stepping ashore as we embark. Wear your pirate's hat and I'll give you a wave.

Gari

Us too! Bring her back safely please Jim!

Live from Queen Mary 2.

As we turned the corner from Gate 4 at Southampton Docks, there in front of us was the greatest liner in the world and we were blessed with the full bow on vista where you can see the full length of the vessel in all of its' glory. Awesome.

We drew into the “bus shelter” that is Pier 46 and the newest terminal which has been built opposite the old Ocean Terminal, for you trivia fans. Boarding was absolutely painless as a frequent floater although there were around 200 or so, less fortunate people waiting in a seated holding area who were being called forward 50 at a time to be processed. This at least stops the disneyworldesque snaking queue and affords a degree of comfort.

We were on and in our cabin by 12.30, so we had an early salad in Kings Court. That is all I seem to eat there, not through iron willed discipline as I would like you to think but sadly because that is all I can ever find. Memo to self, explore the Kings Court to find exactly what it offers.

The ship is perfect, left on time and pretty soon we were dropping the pilot at Nab Tower. The sea is so well behaved with perhaps 12 hours of 10 foot swells and otherwise it has been like glass for the last 3 days. I know that one should be careful what one wishes for but it would be nice to see a little more wave action. We have had fog and some rain with some strong winds, pretty standard North Atlantic weather really.

There are a number of staff dotted around with whom I have sailed before and it is always a great pleasure for me when I bump into them.

Ray Rouse is back on board and we had a brief chat, he tells me that his wifes' health has improved as she recovers from her operation. We have had the welcome aboard reception and the Queens Room seemed very full so I wonder whether the ship is full or there are more first timers who attend these events. Cunard will always say the ship is full so there is little point in asking the Purser.

Today there is the Senior Officers Cocktail Party this morning at 11.30am, crikey it is like being back at work in the City. I have almost made the decision not to attend as it is a really bad start to the day and I do want to get to the Gym. I know where it is now and the hardest thing is to actually make the effort to walk through the doorway.

We have 500 passengers who are on board for the back to back crossing so I don't feel quite so unusual as it isn't only me who loves the sea-days of the crossing.

Off for breakfast shortly in the Britannia, I had haddock yesterday and it turned up as a fishy rectangle, tasting of fish but not looking at all like a fish, most strange really.

Sounds wonderful, can't wait until it is my turn. Just 3 months to wait. Very busy getting my wardrobe together. Having a great time buying new things with the crossing in mind, shoes, tops and trousers and of course my evening gowns and cocktail dresses.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, keep us posted on what you get up to.

Live from Queen Mary 2.

I hope that's not the case. We really like the old one where the taxis wait inside what feels like a large quanset (sp?) hut. Neat old feel to it - like something you might find in a harbor. :)

Glad to hear Ray's wife is better. Funny how attached you get to people you only see on a ship!

Wish we were there with you!

Hi Jim.

So pleased your having a good time, told you we would leave tidy for you, what a sailaway you had, great weather.

11.30 for a cocktail party, wow, at least we had the senior staff meeting at 7.30pm, just befor edinner, so much better to enjoy that G&T or champers.

The check in is OK dont you think, but dear lord someone should be shot for the design of the place, the poor porters and CPS staff, how will they deal with the winter cold and rain????

chat on your return, thanks for the review.

Please tell Ray that we are all (almost all on CC ) thinking of him and his wife

rob

Hi Jim

As future "first time cruisers" (due to sail on QM2 July 12th) my wife and I have been really apprehensive about embarking on a Cunard Cruise (albeit I spent 10 years in the Royal Navy in the 1980's)!! We found Cruise Critic by chance and have really enjoyed reading your informative and witty posts. Looking forward to reading how your current cruise works out - of course with tips for us first timers.....!! Will gladly recommend this forum for others.

Hi Jim

As future "first time cruisers" (due to sail on QM2 July 12th) my wife and I have been really apprehensive about embarking on a Cunard Cruise (albeit I spent 10 years in the Royal Navy in the 1980's)!! We found Cruise Critic by chance and have really enjoyed reading your informative and witty posts. Looking forward to reading how your current cruise works out - of course with tips for us first timers.....!! Will gladly recommend this forum for others.

How wonderful! I hope you are prepared to be hooked for life ;)

For those of you sailing on the QM2 this week - what is the weather like up on deck? Do we need our heavy coats or might we plan on getting a little sun?

Thanks for the live update. We leave out of NY on Friday.

I stood by my beliefs and let the party happen without me, I have recently started getting audio books which I can listen to on my Ipod, they are really great and I joined an American website that for $15 per month provides a choice of thousands of titles and that fee entitles me to two free books per month. I have been ploughing my way through Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls and I assure you it is hard work even to listen to, heaven knows how one could read it. I believe that I am approaching the end, but I admit that I thought the same two days ago. It may be a classic but the language is so old fashioned that I am sure that had I been reading a copy, it would be nestling in the deep Atlantic. I didn't make the gym, or the pool but I skipped lunch and gave afternoon tea a wide berth. I'm starving now and there is still 2 hours till second sitting. Mrs P is at home on her own, as I am traveling with my son Bosun P and my daughter has gone away to Majorca with friends. I am in the doghouse for leaving her and can expect hard tack and weevils upon my return. I cannot be blamed for her poor holiday allowance and the fact that I am self employed. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Being day 3, we don't gainI an hour tonight and the dress code is Semi Formal for dinner. Most people seem to keeping to the spirit of the codes, if not precisely conforming. White jackets are around 5% as are dark suits. 90% are in dark dinner jackets. Having said that, last night in order to use the outside lift to the Commodore Club I walked through Kings Court at around 10.45, after dinner. The place was jammed with hundreds of people eating and having coffee. How can they be hungry at that time of night?

The author, Erica Jong appeared today in an televised interview with Ray Rouse, and he worked very hard to make her appear interesting. She then went on to give a lecture about her works, poetry and why she writes. I heard some of it but I still have no idea why she bothers. Perhaps her verbal delivery is superceded by her penmanship; I certainly hope so, for her sake...

I am off now to get ready by pre dinner cocktails and a bowl of peanuts – I told you I was starving. More later.”

We had a very pleasant dinner and as the evening show had been before dinner the only thing to do was to seek a bar and chat to the older people. It always amazes me the breadth of experience that one encounters in fellow guests and once the ice is broken their stories come out and mostly they are broadly traveled and experienced. It makes the whole thing really special and worthwhile.

Sunrise is around 5.45 all week and today the sky is grey and it is a little foggy, there are a few white horses on the sea, so I think the wind should clear the sky and hopefully we will see some sunshine later today.

We passed the halfway point yesterday and at around 10am this morning we will pass within 60 miles of where Titanic sank. That is reassuring isn't it. As we only have 2 nights left on the westbound trip they are auctioning the “chart of the voyage”. These sell for around $2500 every week and the proceeds go the Princes Trust. It is a great thing that they can raise funds like this but it is just a large map of the Atlantic with 5 positions and pencil lines marked on it. Admittedly it is signed by the Officers and I am certain that fact increases its' value immensely. All you need is a spare 6 foot by 4 foot space on a wall and a blank cheque.

Weather wise you may need outer clothing as the wind is getting up a little but you can't seriously be contemplating spending too long on deck. Not in the North Atlantic, trust me.

Thanks cap'n for the entertaining report ;)

It's amazing how people have the capacity to eat as though they haven't eaten in days.

I am puzzled about not gaining an hour on day 3. I'm trying to remember and had thought that we didn't gain on frst night but after that we did every night making 5 hours in total.

I'm confused but won't let it spoil my anticipation for our turn in a few weeks.

Thanks again and looking foward to your next post.

*Forgot to say that I'm sure the 'older people' were grateful that you engaged them in conversation .. I hope someone is kind enough to do the same for me when I reach that status :D

We had a very pleasant dinner and as the evening show had been before dinner the only thing to do was to seek a bar and chat to the older people.

Ahoy Cap'n! What a great pity we miss each other. I am an older people and am always looking about for new victims to bore into insensibility with my tales of 'Derring Do' and 'Yesteryear'. (You might be glad of Hemingway and Erica, everyone else is). I'm better than a hypnotist. All I have to say is, 'Did I ever tell you about....' and almost immediately eyes close and lips flutter in genteel snores or I am presented with the sight of backs receding swiftly into the middle distance with the fading cry of, 'Call of Nature Old Boy, Sorreee'. But am I discouraged? Not a bit of it. Could you do with a nap? Now then, did I ever tell you.....

Incidentally with respect to Hemingway, I feel exactly the same about Scott. In fact a great deal of the Eng. Lit. canon leaves me cold. Nice enough to study and disassemble but to read for entertainment well...

An iconoclastic Gari

Dons protective clothing and awaits return fire from the Retired English Teachers regiment (airborne Div.)

But am I discouraged? Not a bit of it. Could you do with a nap? Now then, did I ever tell you.....

Don't be silly Garaidh.

You're not in the least little bit boring. In fact you're not boring at a...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

J

I forgot to mention that on day 3 the Martini Mixology class was held and I promise that I didn't go this trip although I have been a few times in the past, I must say that I did nearly go but stood firm and let it pass, I am enquiring about the Champagne tasting next week, because this weeks' event has sold out. Talking about Martinis, there has been a deal of experimentation and there is now a pear and grapefruit martini, the pear and chocolate just didn't work, although I do think that it sounds great. By the way the chart was bought by a Brit for $1300.

I managed to reach the end of Hemingway's weighty book and can honestly say that I feel no different after than I did before I “read” it. James Taylor is due to board at Red Hook and will perform a couple of shows – but that is yesterdays news. I can announce that Duran Duran are travelling on QM2 from this Friday, I hope they leave me alone because if I wanted to sing, I would certainly be at the Karaoke evenings.

The sea got up a little yesterday and we felt that we were roaring through the ocean, it was great. I went up on Deck 12 and walked along the open deck, it was cold and windy at about 65 mph. Now as usual, we had the noon whistles which always sound hauntingly nautical. The afternoon passed gently managing to resist Afternoon Tea although naturally they did have Battenberg Cake on the menu, thank heavens I missed it.

About 7pm the Ships' whistle sounded once so no-one ran to the lifeboat stations, or at least I didn't. The truth is that a young guy got his young girlfriend to go on the open foredeck (a la Titanic, but without the Ice). He then got on one knee and asked her to marry him, she accepted and the whistle blew. Isn't that romantic. Or was the whistle sounded to mask what he asked but the guy pressed the button too late. I prefer the first version.

We had the CWC cocktail party and we ran into a couple from West Virginia who were teachers at Virginia Tech. We had shared a table with this couple on our first transatlantic and it was just after the guy went crazy and shot all the students. what a small world we share.

I had pasta for dinner in the Britannia which turned out a little dry and was my first disappoinment foodwise for a long time, it was ok but not great. We had the parade of chefs through the room and we got to show appreciation to our waiters and the chefs.

The show was Apassionata which is a fairly new show and is really lively bouncy dance and song show. I went to the Commodore Club and did some more homework. My kind of studying really and I had to take advantage of the hour gained overnight.

Today is our last day and has dawned with just high cloud and limited swell, hopefully the sun will make its' first appearance of the voyage. Where are the big waves when you need them.

Duran Duran on QM2 on Friday? Gutted I can't be there to see my favourite band on my favourite ship. If they play a gig on board, DO NOT miss it - yes they maybe cheezy at times but they certainly know how to put on a good show. Let's hope old Queenie (QM2, not Nick Rhodes:D) does better than Simon's boat did all those years ago.

Cheers, Rich

Blimey Cap'n, that takes me back, thank you for your regular updates, I have enjoyed reading your postings. Hope you have been behaving yourself and not upsetting the sensitive 'Grillers' as they dine with any untoward antics in the pool?!:D

Now then, Duran Duran, that takes me back, used to know those rather naughty boys and dance to their very early offerings when they were yet to be discovered at a shady hole known as the Rum Runner in the old canal district in Birmingham. That was in the late 70's! Now if I had known, I would have delayed our last TA crossing by a month deliberately:(. on that subject is there anyway of knowing how to pick the right crossing i.e one with someone special on it, such as James Taylor, Duran Duran etc?

Best wishes

I forgot to mention that on day 3 the Martini Mixology class was held and I promise that I didn't go this trip although I have been a few times in the past, I must say that I did nearly go but stood firm and let it pass, I am enquiring about the Champagne tasting next week, because this weeks' event has sold out. Talking about Martinis, there has been a deal of experimentation and there is now a pear and grapefruit martini, the pear and chocolate just didn't work, although I do think that it sounds great. By the way the chart was bought by a Brit for $1300.

I managed to reach the end of Hemingway's weighty book and can honestly say that I feel no different after than I did before I “read” it. James Taylor is due to board at Red Hook and will perform a couple of shows – but that is yesterdays news. I can announce that Duran Duran are travelling on QM2 from this Friday, I hope they leave me alone because if I wanted to sing, I would certainly be at the Karaoke evenings.

The sea got up a little yesterday and we felt that we were roaring through the ocean, it was great. I went up on Deck 12 and walked along the open deck, it was cold and windy at about 65 mph. Now as usual, we had the noon whistles which always sound hauntingly nautical. The afternoon passed gently managing to resist Afternoon Tea although naturally they did have Battenberg Cake on the menu, thank heavens I missed it.

About 7pm the Ships' whistle sounded once so no-one ran to the lifeboat stations, or at least I didn't. The truth is that a young guy got his young girlfriend to go on the open foredeck (a la Titanic, but without the Ice). He then got on one knee and asked her to marry him, she accepted and the whistle blew. Isn't that romantic. Or was the whistle sounded to mask what he asked but the guy pressed the button too late. I prefer the first version.

We had the CWC cocktail party and we ran into a couple from West Virginia who were teachers at Virginia Tech. We had shared a table with this couple on our first transatlantic and it was just after the guy went crazy and shot all the students. what a small world we share.

I had pasta for dinner in the Britannia which turned out a little dry and was my first disappoinment foodwise for a long time, it was ok but not great. We had the parade of chefs through the room and we got to show appreciation to our waiters and the chefs.

The show was Apassionata which is a fairly new show and is really lively bouncy dance and song show. I went to the Commodore Club and did some more homework. My kind of studying really and I had to take advantage of the hour gained overnight.

Today is our last day and has dawned with just high cloud and limited swell, hopefully the sun will make its' first appearance of the voyage. Where are the big waves when you need them.

The paragraph in Jim's post of the marriage proposal at the very front of the bow of the QM2.When will these people who are historically ignorant finally realize that Jack and Rose from the movie Titanic were just fictional characters who were NOT aboard the real Titanic :D Just kidding about my truthful rant.But seriously I have read somewhere that when an American high school teacher explained to her students that Jack and Rose were just fictional characters in that Titanic movie and were not aboard the real Titanic,her students were shocked to hear that truthful fact and that some of her students did not want to believe her :D.It's not just in Titanic movie of 1997 that they used fictional characters.It is also in the Titanic movie of 1953 that they used fictional characters.Even in the Anti-British **** German Titanic movie of 1943 there were fictional characters including a fictional heroic German deck officer.They used artistic license in creating a fictional German deck officer in that movie because at that time of the Titanic's sailing in 1912 aboard a British merchant ship the captain and all of the deck officers probably had to be a British citizen.Regards,Jerry

What a wonderful morning, bright sun and in the shelter of the pavilion pool it was about 82/28 degrees which in the outside translated to about 15 degrees cooler, really nice. Bright sunshine, even saw some dolphins today as they cavorted in the calm sea. Can't have everything I suppose.

The waiters and staff on here are so good. I don't know whether Cunard and their line managers on here really appreciate that fact. Our breakfast this morning started as usual by us going to the Britannia through the back door as we stay just off Stairway D and this saves us having to walk further. Anyway we bumped into Damien, a headwaiter who short circuited everything and waved us to a window seat where we were served again by Basil. He has been a Cunard waiter for 27 years and is from Burma in Asia. He remembered our order exactly from yesterday morning and is a truly wonderful person. He is so happy doing what he does, away from home, away from his family for months at a time for such a little reward.

I feel so utterly privileged to meet people like Basil and Damien, ordinary people doing an extraordinary job. I had to share this with you because it makes me feel so good and I hope that it rubs off on you.

Everyone around the ship is busy packing to get off tomorrow morning, I am going with another couple from our table into the City and we are going to my favourite Chinese for lunch. Chin Chin is great but quite modern, on 49th between 2nd and 3rd . You can see it from Smith and Wollenskys.

Of the 2200 passengers on board, over 500 are doing the back to back trip which is incredible really, I thought that we were just a few sorry souls but maybe our time is coming.

Tonight is the last night of the westbound crossing, elegant casual dress code. I can't believe that this time tomorrow we will be sailing back towards England, still let's not dwell on that, rather think about getting into some last night fun later on.

What a wonderful morning, bright sun and in the shelter of the pavilion pool it was about 82/28 degrees which in the outside translated to about 15 degrees cooler, really nice. Bright sunshine, even saw some dolphins today as they cavorted in the calm sea. Can't have everything I suppose.

The waiters and staff on here are so good. I don't know whether Cunard and their line managers on here really appreciate that fact. Our breakfast this morning started as usual by us going to the Britannia through the back door as we stay just off Stairway D and this saves us having to walk further. Anyway we bumped into Damien, a headwaiter who short circuited everything and waved us to a window seat where we were served again by Basil. He has been a Cunard waiter for 27 years and is from Burma in Asia. He remembered our order exactly from yesterday morning and is a truly wonderful person. He is so happy doing what he does, away from home, away from his family for months at a time for such a little reward.

I feel so utterly privileged to meet people like Basil and Damien, ordinary people doing an extraordinary job. I had to share this with you because it makes me feel so good and I hope that it rubs off on you.

Everyone around the ship is busy packing to get off tomorrow morning, I am going with another couple from our table into the City and we are going to my favourite Chinese for lunch. Chin Chin is great but quite modern, on 49th between 2nd and 3rd . You can see it from Smith and Wollenskys.

Of the 2200 passengers on board, over 500 are doing the back to back trip which is incredible really, I thought that we were just a few sorry souls but maybe our time is coming.

Tonight is the last night of the westbound crossing, elegant casual dress code. I can't believe that this time tomorrow we will be sailing back towards England, still let's not dwell on that, rather think about getting into some last night fun later on.

Jim, so pleased your having a great time, must meet up soon for a drink maybe

enjoy

Wasnt' Basil the very cheery & professional Mauretania waiter from QE2 who always used to do the 'pub lunches' & take the orders in the Golden Lion pub? My friends used to rename it as Basil's bistro - I never did try lunch in the pub & wish I had but used to enjoy the Hot Rhythm Jazz Band before lunch in the Main Restaurant but not until about 2 pm - never a rush on a cruise or crossing especially on QE2 or QM2!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Capn - so pleased you're having a lovely time and we are soooo jealous. I went to the martini class on our April crossing and I am frequently practicing what I was taught!

We are hoping to do a cruise or crossing next year with my stepsons, but for this year it will be a week in the Cotswolds!

Pleased to tell you that Paul has managed not to lose his wedding ring for - ooh - 9 weeks. For those who don't know, in April my lovely new husband left his wedding ring (bear in mind please - this was our honeymoon) in the Hilton in NYC. Good old Cunard collected it, sent it back on the next Eastbound crossing and delivered it to Blackpool. Divorce averted.

Enjoy your next crossing Capn. Wish we were there too.

Archived