Cruise news

thied

dont think it will be long before the australian gov may have to do something like this,

Congresswoman: Americans 'unknowingly at risk' on cruise ships

"For far too long, American families have unknowingly been at risk when they have embarked on what should have been relaxing sea voyages," Matsui said Thursday in a statement accompanying the introduction of the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2009.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=64039309.blog

Royal Caribbean International today announced the cruise line’s 2010-11 Australia and Hawaii cruise and cruisetour season. Vacationers can choose among 17 sailings from September 2010 through March 2011aboard Rhapsody of the Seas, 14 of which depart from the iconic city of Sydney, Australia. The new season will offer 12 distinct itineraries, more variety in cruise lengths and itineraries than ever before, with a total of 50 unique ports of call in eight countries. Rhapsody of the Seas’ 2010-11 Australia and Hawaii season are now open for booking.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2872-62309-rhapsody-of-the-seas-to-return-to-south-pacific-.html

Despite the gloom, cruising is going gangway busters

Teresa Ooi

The Australian

June 29, 2009 12:00am

Text size

+ - Print Email Share Add to MySpace Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Add to Fark Post to Facebook Add to Kwoff What are these?

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,25703835-643,00.html?from=public_rss

• 3 weeks later...

Cruise ship spike at WA ports prompts $2m upgrade

THE GROWING number of cruise ships docking at Fremantle Port and other Western Australian ports has prompted a $2 million upgrade over the next two years.

http://www.shippingindustry.com.au/article/Cruise-ship-spike-at-WA-ports-prompts-2m-upgrade/490371.aspx

Hi Thied

looks like we are on the same cruise. I booked early so I could get a good cabin. I am going with my husband and two adult children (will be 19 and 21) What about you? I am new to this site so not sure how I find others who will be booked on the same cruise although it might be a bit early yet. We have a mini suite on Aloha deck.Kids on the same deck but an inside cabin directly opposite us.

How do I change my countdown clock so it says 2nd Oct 2010 instead of 10-2-10 so it doesn't look like February? I am so excited about cruising and it is so long to wait.

Stickyveed

Hi Thied

looks like we are on the same cruise. I booked early so I could get a good cabin. I am going with my husband and two adult children (will be 19 and 21) What about you? I am new to this site so not sure how I find others who will be booked on the same cruise although it might be a bit early yet. We have a mini suite on Aloha deck.Kids on the same deck but an inside cabin directly opposite us.

How do I change my countdown clock so it says 2nd Oct 2010 instead of 10-2-10 so it doesn't look like February? I am so excited about cruising and it is so long to wait.

Stickyveed

HI and welcome.

You cannot change the countdown clocks as they are americanised. You can do as I did and just change your clock again and write underneath the right date. see my clock under my siggy.

It does make it look much better AND closer:D

The International Cruise Victims Association, Inc. (ICV), a non-profit corporation formed by victims and families of victims of cruise crimes, applauded Congressional action to move the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2009 through Committee and for Congressional consideration. The pending legislation passed the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation unanimously last week, S.B. 588, and the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure is expected to begin mark-up of H.R. 1485 in the coming weeks.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2979-7162009-cruise-ship-safety-bill-moves-forward.html

The International Cruise Victims Association, Inc. (ICV), a non-profit corporation formed by victims and families of victims of cruise crimes, applauded Congressional action to move the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2009 through Committee and for Congressional consideration. The pending legislation passed the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation unanimously last week, S.B. 588, and the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure is expected to begin mark-up of H.R. 1485 in the coming weeks.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2979-7162009-cruise-ship-safety-bill-moves-forward.html

Thanks for the link! Looking forward to your cruise review :)

The evening of Tuesday, July 14, 2009, as the cruise ship Carnival Elation was on the last leg of a Baja Mexico cruise, a domestic dispute occurred between a husband and wife in their cabin, resulting in the wife’s death.

The husband was taken into custody aboard the vessel and all appropriate authorities, including the FBI and U.S. Coast Guard, were notified. FBI agents boarded the vessel early this morning to initiate an investigation. The cruise line is providing its full cooperation and support.

The 2,052-passenger Carnival Elation is based in San Diego and had departed on Saturday, July 11 on a five-day cruise to Cabo San Lucas. The ship returned to San Diego this morning.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim’s family. Carnival’s CareTeam is offering assistance.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2984-71709-carnival-statement-regarding-elation-incident.html

The evening of Tuesday, July 14, 2009, as the cruise ship Carnival Elation was on the last leg of a Baja Mexico cruise, a domestic dispute occurred between a husband and wife in their cabin, resulting in the wife’s death.

The husband was taken into custody aboard the vessel and all appropriate authorities, including the FBI and U.S. Coast Guard, were notified. FBI agents boarded the vessel early this morning to initiate an investigation. The cruise line is providing its full cooperation and support.

The 2,052-passenger Carnival Elation is based in San Diego and had departed on Saturday, July 11 on a five-day cruise to Cabo San Lucas. The ship returned to San Diego this morning.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim’s family. Carnival’s CareTeam is offering assistance.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2984-71709-carnival-statement-regarding-elation-incident.html

better not go on any more cruises or you will get behind in your reporting. Ela2 linked this last week. It is now on page 2:D

better not go on any more cruises or you will get behind in your reporting. Ela2 linked this last week. It is now on page 2:D

sorry i didnt see it

here is some thing, the way the goverment is going with climate change and carboun credits which we the consumer pay for and really i dont the money raised from this benifit or clange the climate.they just poket the money and waste it on over seas trips or a new plane or palarment house, then there the countries that like nucler power because its greener it may not give out carboun, but untill they find very very very safe way to despose of the waste,it may be greener or will we end up glowing green from the waste lol .

now we have the Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC) into the ships to make them greener ( and not by painting them)

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2986-72009-imo-environment-meeting-issues-technical-and-operational-measures-to-address-ghg-emiss-.html

Thanks for the info Thied, great to hear Rhapsody is going to be sailing more often out of Australia.

Really looks like a fantastic ship to cruise on :)

And I'm pleased that Rhapsody is going to be cruising up to the islands in again.

This years cruises up the Queensland Coast and across to NZ are OK but it still is nice and tranquil to cruise to the islands of the Pacific. So happy they have introduced them again for 2010/2011. I wish they would do what Sun Princess is doing and that is from Sydney to Honolulu and return to Sydney a nice 35 days or you can book it as two separate cruises.

Jillybean:)

And I'm pleased that Rhapsody is going to be cruising up to the islands in again.

This years cruises up the Queensland Coast and across to NZ are OK but it still is nice and tranquil to cruise to the islands of the Pacific. So happy they have introduced them again for 2010/2011. I wish they would do what Sun Princess is doing and that is from Sydney to Honolulu and return to Sydney a nice 35 days or you can book it as two separate cruises.

Jillybean, your signature says you've been twice on Rhapsody and going again now in 2009...sure looks like RCI is doing something right!!

I have only cruised P&O so looking forward to a different cruise line, different ship, different ports.

When is your cruise? :)

Jillybean, your signature says you've been twice on Rhapsody and going again now in 2009...sure looks like RCI is doing something right!!

I have only cruised P&O so looking forward to a different cruise line, different ship, different ports.

When is your cruise? :)

Hi LuckiePuris, yes we love Rhapsody and RCCL for that matter. Celebrity Cruises is also under the same umbrella. Great cruise lines, lovely ships, and if you go to their websites you'll see their pricing is pretty competative too. The only downside is that the on board currency of RCCL and Celebrity is USD but it's worth it.

Hi LuckiePuris, yes we love Rhapsody and RCCL for that matter. Celebrity Cruises is also under the same umbrella. Great cruise lines, lovely ships, and if you go to their websites you'll see their pricing is pretty competative too. The only downside is that the on board currency of RCCL and Celebrity is USD but it's worth it.

Thanks for the feedback Jillybean!

We had a look at pricing for Christmas / New Year and found the pricing cheaper for RCI 17 night cruise compared to P&O 12 night cruise.

And from what I've read on these forums, RCI does seem to be of a higher standard and include many extras that P&O doesnt.

Like you said, pricing is in US dollars, but not a big deal. The AUS Dollar is getting stronger too which is better.

Does Celebrity do cruises departing from Australia?

7/21/09 - Cunard Line Names Peter Shanks President and Managing Director

Peter Shanks has been named president and managing director of Cunard Line as part of a new management structure for Carnival UK, it was announced today. This is in response to the continued growth of both Cunard and sister-brand P&O Cruises.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2993-72109-cunard-line-names-peter-shanks-president-and-managing-director.html

Does Celebrity do cruises departing from Australia?

They used to, last year... their first significant and last season. They were scheduled to come down again this year but pulled out due to low bookings - although they may return if things pick up.

They had also had a ship through the previous year, but not for a full season and it had done well, so they have a somewhat open mind.

Archived