island escape 7 july 2009

Hi

Both my wife and i are cruising "virgins" so we are both looking forward to our first cruise. Can anyone tell me about the excursions that the boat has to offer ive heard people say its much better to "do Your own thing" i dont mind paying if its good value but dont want to find i can get it half price when in port\( ive already paid more the the cruise than it cost now)

Hope for some useful feedbak from the expericenced cruisers

Our first cruise was on the Island Escape in the med, we have been on four others since all with Thomson. We have found that it's best to be a bit selective with the excursions, no point arriving at a new place and then going on a coach to somewhere else, unless it's Rome or Pisa etc.

Good luck and happy cruising!

In my view whether I book a ship's excursion or do it myself depends on 2 factors :

- how far away is the destination to the port. If it is quite a distance then in my view it increases the chances of public transport letting you down and not getting you back to the port in town, although that to some extent also depends on the country as some have very reliable public transport

- whether you will appreciate the destination so much better if you have a guide - this can be from the point of view of having someone knowledgeable to interpret a historic site for you or from getting to the front of queues as part of a group.

People often look at just the cost of the coach transport on the excursion compared to the cost of public transport but an excursion can offer you so much more. However if you have done your homework as far as transport and knowledge of destination is concerned then you can tailor your trip and save money.

My cruises are usually a mix of one or two excursions with the remainder being independent.

I'd recommend using the cruise forums such as this ones to look at the various posts under port information and to post questions. People on these forums are (mostly!) very helpful and have given me lots of useful information about ports in the past.

Hope you have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi AIRMAN1... i am also going on the island escape on 7th july 2009. i also went on it last year. The excursions are from £25 - £50. they vairy from half days to 10 hour trips. a cruise on the island escape is an amazing experience and you will enjoy it ! just think, you might bump into me and you wont even know it !! if you want to talk to me you can reply on here and i will e - mail you :D have a good cruise , see you there :D

• 1 month later...

We were on the Island Escape in October 2009 and was delighted at the entertainment that was on offer. There was a guy playing a piano who was great, can you tell me if he is still on the Island Escape this year and what his name was please.

Archived