Caves & Crane?

CarltonFamily5

Hi guys!

I'm hoping for some advice from Barbados experts - is it possible to do Harrison's Caves first thing in the morning and then head to Crane Resort to relax for the rest of the day? How far apart are these two attractions? Would it be too much driving?

We'll be in port on Carnival Victory from 8-5 - can you squeeze in the nature preserve around 3 for the monkeys and be back to the ship in time?

I'd love some help in getting a feel for how far apart things are / how big the island of barbados is. We have 3 kids (9, 6, 4) so we're cautious about lots of drive time, etc - we sorta like finding gorgeous spots and just enjoying our time together as a family but it sounds like Barbados has some amazing sites to see!

Thanks sooo much for any info you can share!

Robin

Hi guys!

I'm hoping for some advice from Barbados experts - is it possible to do Harrison's Caves first thing in the morning and then head to Crane Resort to relax for the rest of the day? How far apart are these two attractions? Would it be too much driving?

We'll be in port on Carnival Victory from 8-5 - can you squeeze in the nature preserve around 3 for the monkeys and be back to the ship in time?

I'd love some help in getting a feel for how far apart things are / how big the island of barbados is. We have 3 kids (9, 6, 4) so we're cautious about lots of drive time, etc - we sorta like finding gorgeous spots and just enjoying our time together as a family but it sounds like Barbados has some amazing sites to see!

Robin

Robin

Harrisons' Cave is in the middle of the island( thanks aplmac:p) while Crane is on the Eastern side of the island...its a fair distance relatively speaking. Barbados is only 166 sq. miles.

With the kids you could experience some difficulty as you will be a bit rushed to take in all 3 or even 2 of the sites in one day.(this is if you plan to spend a bit of time at each location.

It must also be taken into account how you plan to get there...hire a car, grab a taxi? If you get a cab your guide for the day may be able to fit everything in for you.

Hope this has helped a bit....feel free to ask any further questions.

Your best approach to cram these three spots into one day would be

to get going early and head straight for The Crane, which

at 9:30-11:00 a.m. is its best time of day, lighting-wise

Crane-030.jpg\

-this shot taken around 10 a.m.

then leave Crane around 12:30?(after lunch? -maybe earlier?)

to get to the Caves by about 1:30? --hoping you get in soon,with no time wasted

and bearing in mind that 'Feeding Time At Da Zoo' (your next stop)

is around 2:00 to 2:30 from all I've heard..

So you leave real quick after the Caves

and go to Wildlife Reserve, a few miles North of the Caves

hopefully not too late for feeding time

I'd do it in that order -the times are up to you and Lady Luck

as to how much time you spend at each location ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys!

Robin

CarltonFamily5

Sorry to tell you but I think Harrison's Cave will be closed from now until Jan 2010. ( I think you are planning to go in the next 3 months?) Please do not take my word but check it out for yourself to be sure.

CarltonFamily5

Sorry to tell you but I think Harrison's Cave will be closed from now until Jan 2010. ( I think you are planning to go in the next 3 months?) Please do not take my word but check it out for yourself to be sure.

A correction to the above...instead of "from now"

I just read a different article and it said closed from July 15th 2009 for 6 months. So it may be open for the next 2 weeks? Sorry, I can not confirm this for those travelling between now & July 14th.

A correction to the above...instead of "from now"

I just read a different article and it said closed from July 15th 2009 for 6 months. So it may be open for the next 2 weeks? Sorry, I can not confirm this for those traveling between now & July 14th.

This is correct...they will be closing from July 15 for 6 months. So this means they will open in January at the earliest but be warned Bajans are not very good at keeping time so it may be longer:mad:.

When they reopen it is supposed to be a much improved product so we will wait and see. I know this is a bummer for a lot of visitors because it really is a nice place to visit.

Archived