Odyssey Pricing Observation

Croce

I booked in May for a September cruise. Recently another couple was interested in joining us so I referred them to the Seabourn website to check availability and pricing. Guess we were fortunate because they told me that all cabins below V4 were on a wait list AND the price PP had increased about $2500 over what we paid. We felt very lucky to have booked when we did. I think Seabourn may have initially underestimated the demand for this new ship and when it became apparent, rapidly increased pricing. I'm glad to see it and happy for them, but a little sad since our friends won't be joining us this time.

Croce

You were smart to book in May, Croce. I kept waiting for the pricing to drop only to find that the lower priced cabins were being sold out. Yes...the advertisements are enticing, but not entirely forthcoming as availability is limited. Just like the advertised automobile at a low price...the fine print reads "stock #....", and you get to the dealer and that car is sold...

However, the pricing is still phenomenal and a unbelievable value. Can't wait to try Seabourn...from a several times Regent, Silversea and Sea Cloud traveler. The new ship is going to be stunning.

I will be on the August 29 Odyssey sailing, and that day cannot come soon enough for me.

I too have sailed Regent a number of times and will be on the Odyssey's August 29th sailing. I can't wait and I am anxious to hear reports from the godparents when they return. The pricing on my cruise is unbelievable. We had never tried Seabourn because my husband insists on a balcony. Once the Odyssey's schedule came out, we booked this cruise. The price has come down to less than 50% of what we originally expected to pay when we reserved.

I do a fair amount of work for the cruise line industry here in Miami. My sense, based upon the activity I am seeing in my business, is that things are looking up for the cruise lines. I therefore concur with Mr. Arison.

As for Seabourn specifically, I cannot comment. I do feel that the new ships add new excitement and attention for Seabourn. This will be my first cruise experience with Seabourn, (having sailed Regent, Silversea and Sea Cloud in the past), and it is due to the new ship being added with the increased amenities.

As someone else wisely mentioned, "It's supply and demand."

Naturally the company press release will paint things in a good light while sensationalistic media pieces like to run doom and gloom items. For example, a February article in the same blog noted that the Odyssey maiden voyage had yet to sell out.

Hardly surprising news given the market at the time. Now, however, you'd need a thick checkbook to get onboard.

I'm sure that there will always be a fluctuating spread between brochure rates and what you pay to enjoy the time of your life. Myself, I like to see a 72% off deal, but I think that boat has sailed.

Archived