Once at Pier 91, Seattle • Where/how Purchase Cokes and H2o before we sail??

drisinger

The Seattle Wine Outlet is a great place, but it is an outlet store. The owner used to write a wine article for the Seattle PI (recently defunct local paper) and he specializes in finding odd lot wine values. Not cheap wine, just good finds for the price. This is not the place to go to find your widely available california cab, for example. But the store will have bottles in most varietals (including several cabs), but maybe not the exact region/exact grape. Most weekend days, tastings of several wines for sale are available. Inventory shifts dramatically, week to week, but he'll usually have a good mix of foreign and domestic. I totally recommend the wine outlet to someone who likes trying a variety of wine, loves finding a rare exceptional value, and is open to new varietals and wine regions. He will have some Washington State wine, but not as wide a selection as available in our grocery stores/wine shops (I love our Washington State wine!). I've only been twice, but costumer service was great both times.

By the way, wine in Seattle is sold at all grocery stores, and most convenience stores. I never buy wine at convenience stores, the selection is too limited for me (but may be just fine for others), but I do get nice bottles at grocery stores. Metropolitan Market (1908 Queen Anne Ave N), Ballard Market (1400 NW 56th St) both have excellent wine sections, and may not be too far from the ship, by cab. Major grocery store chains are Safeway, QFC and Albertson's and all have good wine sections. And for two buck chuck crowd, there's a Trader Joe's in Queen Anne and another in Ballard, that would not be too far from the terminal (again, by cab). Queen Anne is basically "on the way" to the terminal from downtown or the airport, and Ballard is just north of the terminal, by one or two miles.

Thanks!

.....:) So if I read this correctly You are saying that people might pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to cruise and then bring aboard water, sodas and wine to save a few bucks?...I find that difficult to believe or at least rather astonishing. Do these same people then opt out of the payment of tips ? It would certainly save them a lot more than bringing the other stuff with them. I must be old fashioned and naive....Thank You for your reply. You were the only person that gave a reason for the practices.:)

For me, it is a question of priorities. A room, board on a ship going to someplace I could probably never go otherwise, I'm willing to splurge on. (as well as a couple of excursions.) Sodas, and wine, I'm not sure about yet. I will probably end up drinking iced tea, and slurging on a llittle wine and/or DOD since I''m not a big soda drinker, and mght be too much of a hassle to bring soda and wine. Also I like to have wine and other adult beverages, but not excessively so. (I am after all, very petite.) However, my dad, who I'm travelling with, guzzles Diet Coke, so it may be worth it to him to bring it, as opposed to wasting that much money on it. If he could, he would bring the beer he makes too, but not to be.

A tip iis a whole other story. I consider it as part of the base price of the cruise. You are depriving people of their livelyhood if you don't pay tips.

For me, it is a question of priorities. A room, board on a ship going to someplace I could probably never go otherwise, I'm willing to splurge on. (as well as a couple of excursions.) Sodas, and wine, I'm not sure about yet. I will probably end up drinking iced tea, and slurging on a llittle wine and/or DOD since I''m not a big soda drinker, and mght be too much of a hassle to bring soda and wine. Also I like to have wine and other adult beverages, but not excessively so. (I am after all, very petite.) However, my dad, who I'm travelling with, guzzles Diet Coke, so it may be worth it to him to bring it, as opposed to wasting that much money on it. If he could, he would bring the beer he makes too, but not to be.

A tip iis a whole other story. I consider it as part of the base price of the cruise. You are depriving people of their livelyhood if you don't pay tips.

:D Sassy, You appear to have your priorities in good order....Wish I could try a taste of Dad's home brew.....:)

I am not even a true green environmentalist, but i do think it is a problem bringing cans and bottles onboard that your ship has to dispose of-consider purchasing on board, bringing a water bottle to refill, buying a soda card --IMO the ships should ban this practice of pax bringing cases on board.

Thanks for your response but that wasn't what the OP asked.

Archived