Once at Pier 91, Seattle • Where/how Purchase Cokes and H2o before we sail??

drisinger

I have really specific questions about departure from Pier 91, Seattle. Leaving on Holland America, Westerdam July 26th, family reunion Alaska!!

Question:

Once I get to Pier 91, where ever HAL cruisers are dropped off (traveling in from Airport by shuttle bus of HAL's arrangement) is there some where or way to buy Diet Cokes and Water, a couple bottles of wine and champagne to bring along on board?? I am told our airport shuttle will stop no where on route because of time schedules. No chance.:(

Maybe I could bribe him??... no, that wouldn't be right...

I will most likely be arriving about 1:00pm for a 4:00pm departure. Certainly I will need to waste NO time. Is there a store close enough?? What have others done in this situation? Should I hoof it if there is somewhere close, taxi, drop the thought??? Dropping this thought could be quite costly though...

Any methods/instructions out there to share to someone who's never stepped foot in Seattle?

Where to go??? What to do???? Help Me Help Me!!:eek:

Thank You So Much For Any Magical Suggestions!

DeAnna

of "The Risinger Crew"

You are really cutting this close. I hope your flights are on time.

There is nothing at Pier 91 and nothing close you could walk to. You would have to take a cab and get the driver to stop someplace. You won't be able to do this with the shuttle. Not sure if you would even have time to do this as you must be on board an hour before sailing.

Suggestion would be to purchase these things before you leave and pack them.

I have really specific questions about departure from Pier 91, Seattle. Leaving on Holland America, Westerdam July 26th, family reunion Alaska!!

Question:

Once I get to Pier 91, where ever HAL cruisers are dropped off (traveling in from Airport by shuttle bus of HAL's arrangement) is there some where or way to buy Diet Cokes and Water, a couple bottles of wine and champagne to bring along on board?? I am told our airport shuttle will stop no where on route because of time schedules. No chance.:(

Maybe I could bribe him??... no, that wouldn't be right...

I will most likely be arriving about 1:00pm for a 4:00pm departure. Certainly I will need to waste NO time. Is there a store close enough?? What have others done in this situation? Should I hoof it if there is somewhere close, taxi, drop the thought??? Dropping this thought could be quite costly though...

Any methods/instructions out there to share to someone who's never stepped foot in Seattle?

Where to go??? What to do???? Help Me Help Me!!:eek:

Thank You So Much For Any Magical Suggestions!

DeAnna

of "The Risinger Crew"

We had the same problem last week so we did the only thing we could do; Waited until we got to Juneau and bought the stuff there. Unfortunately, there's no place close by in Seattle and you have even less time than we did.

I am not even a true green environmentalist, but i do think it is a problem bringing cans and bottles onboard that your ship has to dispose of-consider purchasing on board, bringing a water bottle to refill, buying a soda card --IMO the ships should ban this practice of pax bringing cases on board.

We also arrived at Pier 91 via HAL shuttle. There is no way to prepurchase items. The shuttle driver does not stop along the way and there are no stores near the terminal.

Just wait until you are in Juneau. As far as water goes, there is drinkable water on the ship. You can even bring your own water bottles to fill.

Order a prepaid soda card to hold you over until your first port stop.

I must be missing something. Why do people feel the need to take drinks etc. aboard ? There is no shortage of these things on all the ships I have ever cruised on. Can someone please explain? Thank you.:)

I am not even a true green environmentalist, but i do think it is a problem bringing cans and bottles onboard that your ship has to dispose of-consider purchasing on board, bringing a water bottle to refill, buying a soda card --IMO the ships should ban this practice of pax bringing cases on board.

HAL will separate all trash on board for recycling whether you bring it or buy it.

I must be missing something. Why do people feel the need to take drinks etc. aboard ? There is no shortage of these things on all the ships I have ever cruised on. Can someone please explain? Thank you.:)

If you buy sodas at a market, you may pay $3.99 for a twelve pack. If you purchase a soda onboard, you will pay $1.85 per soda. Sounds pretty easy to figure out to me.

If you buy sodas at a market, you may pay $3.99 for a twelve pack. If you purchase a soda onboard, you will pay $1.85 per soda. Sounds pretty easy to figure out to me.
.....:) So if I read this correctly You are saying that people might pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to cruise and then bring aboard water, sodas and wine to save a few bucks?...I find that difficult to believe or at least rather astonishing. Do these same people then opt out of the payment of tips ? It would certainly save them a lot more than bringing the other stuff with them. I must be old fashioned and naive....Thank You for your reply. You were the only person that gave a reason for the practices.:)

.....:) So if I read this correctly You are saying that people might pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to cruise and then bring aboard water, sodas and wine to save a few bucks?...I find that difficult to believe or at least rather astonishing. Do these same people then opt out of the payment of tips ? It would certainly save them a lot more than bringing the other stuff with them. I must be old fashioned and naive....Thank You for your reply. You were the only person that gave a reason for the practices.:)

What does saving money on sodas have to do with opting out of tips?

I've never understood this practice either. However, I have to say that by the time I got to Haines I was having a Mt. Dew withdrawal:eek:! So, I bought one in each of the ports to get me by. DH and I, however, don't drink that much soda, so our soda bill for the entire trip was 30 bucks. If you drink 3 or 4 or 5 a day, it could become really expensive.

DH and I, however, don't drink that much soda, so our soda bill for the entire trip was 30 bucks. If you drink 3 or 4 or 5 a day, it could become really expensive.

That would be us. ;) I alone drink 4 a day...........

.....:) So if I read this correctly You are saying that people might pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to cruise and then bring aboard water, sodas and wine to save a few bucks?...I find that difficult to believe or at least rather astonishing.

I've heard that these same types of people pay THOUSANDS of dollars every month on a mortgage, but then instead of buying sodas at the corner store for $2/ea, they lug twelve-packs of soda home from the GROCERY STORE... just to save a few bucks!

Seriously, though. The cruise line is not marking up soda 10 or 15%... they're marking it up 4x or more. Why would you pay $1.85 on board for what you could buy for $0.25 on shore?

edit:

Which is not to say YOU have to lug YOUR soda aboard. Order it from a waiter for all I care. But why be subtly insulting to other posters? Perhaps it takes them a lot longer to save up for a cruise than it does for you.

The Seattle Wine Outlet is a great place, but it is an outlet store. The owner used to write a wine article for the Seattle PI (recently defunct local paper) and he specializes in finding odd lot wine values. Not cheap wine, just good finds for the price. This is not the place to go to find your widely available california cab, for example. But the store will have bottles in most varietals (including several cabs), but maybe not the exact region/exact grape. Most weekend days, tastings of several wines for sale are available. Inventory shifts dramatically, week to week, but he'll usually have a good mix of foreign and domestic. I totally recommend the wine outlet to someone who likes trying a variety of wine, loves finding a rare exceptional value, and is open to new varietals and wine regions. He will have some Washington State wine, but not as wide a selection as available in our grocery stores/wine shops (I love our Washington State wine!). I've only been twice, but costumer service was great both times.

By the way, wine in Seattle is sold at all grocery stores, and most convenience stores. I never buy wine at convenience stores, the selection is too limited for me (but may be just fine for others), but I do get nice bottles at grocery stores. Metropolitan Market (1908 Queen Anne Ave N), Ballard Market (1400 NW 56th St) both have excellent wine sections, and may not be too far from the ship, by cab. Major grocery store chains are Safeway, QFC and Albertson's and all have good wine sections. And for two buck chuck crowd, there's a Trader Joe's in Queen Anne and another in Ballard, that would not be too far from the terminal (again, by cab). Queen Anne is basically "on the way" to the terminal from downtown or the airport, and Ballard is just north of the terminal, by one or two miles.

Archived