Caves in corfu

I assume you mean the caves at Paleokastritsa. There is a small boat dock at the beach that takes people to the caves. It is run by the Boatmen's Association. I took some photos of it. You can get there by taxi. About 30 minutes +/- as I recall. It's also near the Monastery. If you give me an e-mail I will send you a few pictures.

http://www.corfuweb.gr/paleo/paleo.html

I assume you mean the caves at Paleokastritsa. There is a small boat dock at the beach that takes people to the caves. It is run by the Boatmen's Association. I took some photos of it. You can get there by taxi. About 30 minutes +/- as I recall. It's also near the Monastery. If you give me an e-mail I will send you a few pictures.

Hi FBlack: I would love to see those photos since we will be there in late July. My email is kmstutz@sbcglobal.net. Thanks.

Ken

i didn't know where they were, but yes, those are the ones.

does anyone know how much a taxi would cost to get there, or is it better to get a group together to hire a guide for the day.

email mrspaper1@aol.com

We took the bus there. It cost 1.10 euros in September. Here is a website with the bus schedule. I think it's the green bus that goes there. I think our ship got there too late for 10am bus so we caught noon. The name of the destination is written above where the bus will park. You pay after you get on. The bus drops you off right at the beach and you can see the boats right there and a road leads up to the monastery.

As for how to get to the bus station it is a block or two off the main road about half a mile or so to the left when you leave the port. I didn't look at this website that closely it might have a map or directions. I think my husband remembers better what landmarks are near there. I'll try to remember to have him post.

FYI - a cab driver at the port offered to take us there and pick us up for 100 euros!!

http://www.corfunet.com/corfu/transport/green_bus.php#39

Another bus schedule. Looks like the prices went up (a lot) but still by far your cheapest option.

http://www.paleokastritsa.org/bus-service.htm

excellent. thanks for the info. if DH has anything to add, or if any other readers have anything to add, that would be great. i haven't checked to see how long we're in port, but i assume we'll have time to see several caves.

I think the boat ride to the caves is like 40 minutes. Depends on how long you have to wait for one. I think we waited about 15 minutes. I think they stop at 3 or 4 caves. They are small. Drive in, drive back out. I think DH was a little disappointed because he was expecting big caves. (My mistake bus was 2.10 euros last year - price has doubled)

corfu17.jpg.fae4fb7535221b7969fb7bbbbd2fcfaf.jpg

I think the boat ride to the caves is like 40 minutes. Depends on how long you have to wait for one. I think we waited about 15 minutes. I think they stop at 3 or 4 caves. They are small. Drive in, drive back out. I think DH was a little disappointed because he was expecting big caves. (My mistake bus was 2.10 euros last year - price has doubled)

do you think it's worth going to, or should we just stay around town and possibly see the palace

Mrs Paper,

That bus trip was among the highlights of our trip! The caves were a bit of a let down, but it was still a neat little trip. I think all cruise ships will come into the same place and you can walk right out the gate to the main street. When you come out of the gate, go left and walk down the street until you come to a Y, then veer right. It's a block or two to another main street, then turn left. We actually walked past it but saw it on our left. Here is an image from Google Earth:Corfu.jpg

If so, I would be glad to make up some images with directions on them for you.

yes, we're going to both of those. i've been to athens b4, so no directions needed. did you go to the funicular and up to the hilltop; Lykavitto's. I am inquiring as to how to get there.

Haven't decided what we're doing in Santorini. Going with friends who have been there b4. You can always give me a map of the bus route for there as well. When you post the pic, if it could be a little smaller would be great. I will see what happens when I print it out.

you are terrific. thanks

linda

glad to hear what you said about the caves being a let down. How do other people lurking on the thread feel about the caves?

In my opinion the Palace was a bit of a let down. It's very small and you only can see a few rooms on the ground floor. It has nice grounds and gardens.

We hired a taxi for a half day tour. He took us to a great viewing area in the hills. The Palace, the Monastery, a stop at the Paleokastritsa beach (fro a snack), then on to the main town where we had a nice lunch. We took a separate taxi back to the ship.

I thought the caves were going to be something that I could actually go inside of, granted I didn't research them at all.(my wife wanted to go) It was a really neat ride out there and would do it again in a minute. When we went to Santorinni, we were going to take a bus to ohi (or somewhere). We had directions and got lost. I never thought of google earth to find these things. Here is a map with some points on it: The blue line is pretty much where we walked (within a few hundred yards of the station!)

We ended up just walking around the shops near the cliff and having a drink at a cafe high above the ocean.

Thira.jpg

Sorry, the image quality is really poor for some reason and the more I zoomed in, the fuzzier it got. Basically, when you get off the cable car (or walk up the road past the burros) you travel directly East to the main street and then turn right. The road makes a 90 degree turn to your left after a short while, stay straight, the street is one way there coming towards you. I can't remember why we didn't continue straight there (probably my man directions!) Just stay going South and you will see the buses and taxi stand.

Anyone know of any type adventure trip for one day, Caves seem fun but looking for something more, any thoughts from recent travelers

thanks

http://www.cruisinbob.com

I was just there earlier this month and had a great day on Corfu. We rented a car right outside the cruise terminal for 50 Euros for the day plus 10 Euros for fuel. We went to the Paleokastritsa beach, and it was very nice. Then we drove up to the Bella Vista. We then drove north and basically all the way around the island. We wanted to allow time in the old section of Corfu before we returned to the ship, so we missed the palace. We also stopped at two other seaside villages for gelati, etc. and found the island to be very scenic. The old town was very nice too. Renting a car was very easy and inexpensive. The only issue we had was that we had some issues finding the car park for the old town but ended up parallel parked near the old fort within easy walking distance of town. Our map for the driving tour was provided by the rental car agent at the port. If I can answer any other questions, I'll be glad to in the next few days (after that I'm returning to my Facebook addiction because we don't have another cruise booked but can be found there as Donna Brown Hill).

Donna

Archived